Want to read criticism of EO belief/practice.

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Superlative claims.
Too much get-up & gear.
Too authority & obediance emphasis heavy for my taste,
but then large organizations get into crowd control.
That's my personal general criticism.
Their sotoriology, sacramentology, & some of their ecclesiology is
also unacceptable to me. I don't have enough time for liturgy. I was
force fed enough of that growing up in parochial schools.
No offense intended.

Reactions: eachallberg
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, the Scriptures never mentions anything like that. The LORD's supper in done in remembrance of Jesus Christ: to announce His death till He returns.:)

sounds pretty clear to me...

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a very real conscience problem with the whole iconography thing. Seems like a lot of fancy footwork to justify what is to me, in my own conscience, idolatry.

This matter hit me pretty hard in the RCC when on Ash Weds. the congregants including myself had to bow down and kiss the tiny little feet of a 4 foot bronze statue of Jesus held by two little kids.

I just couldn't handle that afterwards. I was so convicted within with guilt for idol worship.

Never again.

s

Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
sounds pretty clear to me...

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."

So, why did some people die after unworthily partaking in the LORD's supper? According to you, shouldn't the LORD's supper bestow eternal life upon sinners, not take it away?

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a very real conscience problem with the whole iconography thing. Seems like a lot of fancy footwork to justify what is to me, in my own conscience, idolatry.

This matter hit me pretty hard in the RCC when on Ash Weds. the congregants including myself had to kiss the feet of a little 4 foot bronze statue of Jesus held up by two little kids.

I just couldn't handle that afterwards. I was so convicted within with guilt for idol worship.

Never again.

s

so what specifically do you have against iconography? do you think it is ok to depict jesus, the saints, etc in visible form?

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so what specifically do you have against iconography? do you think it is ok to depict jesus, the saints, etc in visible form?

Personally speaking my conscience told me it was wrong to bow down to a tiny little statue of Jesus and kiss it's feet. I don't care how much spin is applied to the matter, my own conscience is the directive.

I have a similar conviction about hypnotism. I won't watch or participate in those things.

I can not do iconography 'in faith' therefore it is a sin to me.

s

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
N

Nanopants

Firstly, I don't know if this is officially an EO belief but I'm having a hard time with the doctrine of impassibility. To suggest we can't influence God, for better or for worse, I could never agree with that.

Secondly, there's too much emphasis on the material aspect of the Church. Yes I am one of those nutty spiritual types that thinks the One True Church can't be confined by walls or rules for that matter.

they eat too much baklava.

Thirdly, the baklava shortage here on the outside is reprehensible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ProScribe

May 20, 2008
Granbury,TX
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

This matter hit me pretty hard in the RCC when on Ash Weds. the congregants including myself had to bow down and kiss the tiny little feet of a 4 foot bronze statue of Jesus held by two little kids.

Never again.

s

What are idols? don't know.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Firstly, I don't know if this is officially an EO belief but I'm having a hard time with the doctrine of impassibility. To suggest we can't influence God, for better or for worse, I could never agree with that.
I am not sure if it is EO or not either, but the does seem to be the tendency to circle the wagons when it coems to the EO. When one member says it it so, nary another EO soul will disagree.

It reminds me of a church that has turned inward into its traditions, and become exclusivist rather than universalist in its reach.

Claims to being the one true church on behalf of anyone just are no longer believable, especially when it is noticed that most schisms happen along political lines to a far greater extent than along doctrinal lines.

And while I personally have no problem with pomp and ritual of tradition, traditionalism which places rites and practices at the centre of the faith rather than scripture does not leave much room for the living voice of God to be heard.

Upvote 0