Wake up early in the morning...

Danlion8884

Dec 10, 2014
✟15,111.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
"We should be disciplined in prayer and our devotion like Jesus by waking up early and..."

I have been hearing this all my life and for most of my life, I have kept to this practice without thinking twice. However, recently, I started to think, is that the important take away from learning from Jesus' example? I like the prayer and devotion part but the waking up early part...I am being pretty serious about this...

I am certainly not a morning person but I will do what it takes to be healthy spiritually, but I am getting tired of pastors saying "because Jesus woke up early, so should we..."

Didn't people in Jesus' time pretty much sleep and wake up according to the rise and setting of the sun? Didn't they sleep early and then wake up early because...they didn't have electricity?

I don't know if I am just nitpicking but I believe that when we read and interpret scripture, as much as we want to live out everything in it, it is just as dangerous to tell people to do something that is it NOT saying...

I love that Jesus ordered His life/day first around the Lord. But I have a problem with pastors teaching that "good" devotion is "waking up at 5am" as if to say "no pain, no gain"...I think it is problematic...but at the same time, am I thinking lazily?

Any thoughts, friends?

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"We should be disciplined in prayer and our devotion like Jesus by waking up early and..."

I have been hearing this all my life and for most of my life, I have kept to this practice without thinking twice. However, recently, I started to think, is that the important take away from learning from Jesus' example? I like the prayer and devotion part but the waking up early part...I am being pretty serious about this...

I am certainly not a morning person but I will do what it takes to be healthy spiritually, but I am getting tired of pastors saying "because Jesus woke up early, so should we..."

Didn't people in Jesus' time pretty much sleep and wake up according to the rise and setting of the sun? Didn't they sleep early and then wake up early because...they didn't have electricity?

I don't know if I am just nitpicking but I believe that when we read and interpret scripture, as much as we want to live out everything in it, it is just as dangerous to tell people to do something that is it NOT saying...

I love that Jesus ordered His life/day first around the Lord. But I have a problem with pastors teaching that "good" devotion is "waking up at 5am" as if to say "no pain, no gain"...I think it is problematic...but at the same time, am I thinking lazily?

Any thoughts, friends?
My thoughts are that too much could be made of Jesus praying early in the morning. After all, He prayed at other times, too.

I have a complicated and very troublesome sleeping disorder that I absolutely HATE. I'm always awake "very early in the morning", and because I hate it, praying (or Bible reading, etc.) is the last thing on my mind.

I think that if a lesson can be drawn from the times Jesus prayed early in the morning it is that God should be the first thing on our minds when we wake up. To start your day (whatever the time) talking to Him is a good thing. To say you must set your alarm for 5:00am so you can pray early seems a bit of a stretch.

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think that if a lesson can be drawn from the times Jesus prayed early in the morning it is that God should be the first thing on our minds when we wake up. To start your day (whatever the time) talking to Him is a good thing. To say you must set your alarm for 5:00am so you can pray early seems a bit of a stretch.

This. What about Christians who work graveyard shifts?

Spend some time praying and reading Scripture when you wake up - whenever that is.

Upvote 0