Visualization

ochiaghanam

May 2, 2012
✟15,217.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have read in the Christian book Prepare for War by Rebecca Brown about visualization. Basically it's a demonic practice where you create images in your mind to "bring the vision into existence in...life." This seriously got me wondering. I mean, I like to daydream to relieve boredom sometimes. I like to write stories and so I'm always fantasizing how my characters, settings, etc would look like and I know this is a dumb question but I'm the kind of person that freaks out if I think I'm doing anything remotely wrong.

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟39,141.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The bible says what so ever a man thinketh so is He. What is happening is the secular world is taking things that the bible explains and using it like its science. Then we have Christians calling things demonic that the bible speaks of.

Life and death is in the power of the tounge.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,150,807.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
My question is this: is daydreaming/fantasizing a sinful thing?

Not unless you're fantasizing doing things that are wrong. It seems to be that thinking about our lives, what has happened, and what we might do are all things Christians should be doing.

Rebecca Brown isn't someone I'd consider an authority. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Brown_(Christian_author) for more information, but my reading of her record is pretty negative.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nothing wrong with the process itself.

God created us with this ability to visualize and bring things into our lives. Quantum physics/mechanics is finding this to be a reality, "observer effect" what we expect (to see) is what we do see and what is seen and becomes real.

This is why we are warned to have the mind of Christ, to think on good things (whatsoever things...are pure, honest, true ... think on these) because what we focus upon is what becomes our reality.

Some still call it (in the psychology field) self-fulfilling prophecy. We need to use it for the gospel! It's a very powerful fuel of faith and prayer... expectation visualized.

Everything God created is good. Satan uses everything for evil. :wave:

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟801,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At one time, I daydreamed a lot but since learned that Scripture states what we're to think about such as Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Meditate means to focus and reflect on Him and His Word such as Psalm 1:2 "But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."

If we had been alive while Yeshua was on earth, we would remember what He looked like. Artists usually have an image in their mind before they begin to paint. Some believers say we're not to use our imagination but reading the entire Scripture it says 2 Corinthians 10:5 "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;"

Lesson learned: I was using the daydreams as my source instead of relying on Yahweh.

In relationship to Rebecca Brown it's been a long time since I read some portions of her writings. There were some Christian things mixed with things that didn't seem right. Anyway, decided to stay away her writings.

So is it wrong to imagine in order to write a fantasy story, I would say it depends on its purpose. Cartoons are fantasy but most of them have witchcraft in them now, you can see it or know the intent, so that's an easy call.

Ever see a movie and you don't see or hear anything out of line but you still sense it's evil? So I've have left theaters a couple of minutes after it started and definitely turned the channel many times.

We can certainly ask Yahweh to guide us and He will (Psalm 37:23 "The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way)."

Last edited:
Reactions: ochiaghanam
Upvote 0