Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A respiratory virus is sending hundreds of children to hospitals in Missouri and possibly throughout the Midwest and beyond, officials say.
The unusually high number of hospitalizations reported now could be "just the tip of the iceberg in terms of severe cases," said Mark Pallansch, a virologist and director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Division of Viral Diseases.

Virus hitting Midwest may be 'tip of iceberg' - CNN.com

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not exactly surprised by this, it likely that this is happening because the Obama Administration shipped a bunch of kids all over the country without quarentining them until it can be determined that they are not carrying infectious diseases.

Note, this isn't the only possibility, but I would say given from what I've heard where many of the kids have been shipped, I'd say it is the most likely.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not exactly surprised by this, it likely that this is happening because the Obama Administration shipped a bunch of kids all over the country without quarentining them until it can be determined that they are not carrying infectious diseases.

Note, this isn't the only possibility, but I would say given from what I've heard where many of the kids have been shipped, I'd say it is the most likely.

As the article notes, the virus is common as dirt and is one of 1,000 in ist's class. It seldom causes severe illness, so there is likely no way to know how often it happens overall.

As long as we want to swing for the fence with "theiories", maybe it'sw the increasd fracking..... or ISIS has been spraying Mexicans and sending them across the border...:doh:

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As the article notes, the virus is common as dirt and is one of 1,000 in ist's class. It seldom causes severe illness, so there is likely no way to know how often it happens overall.

If it is a particular strain that is generally not seen in the Midwest, then children aren't as apt to have any natural resistance to it. The fact it is hitting children as hard as it is, means that this strain probably isn't native to midwest.

As long as we want to swing for the fence with "theiories", maybe it'sw the increasd fracking..... or ISIS has been spraying Mexicans and sending them across the border...:doh:

You're talking to someone that is part Native American, you know what is responsible for the most deaths of the Native American population: Disease. Native Americans had no resistance to diseases that were relatively common in Europe.

The possibility of fracking being responsible is much less likely.

These accusations about immigrants are no different than when Americans complained about the Chinese and Irish moving here a century ago.

I'm not suggesting that the kids are deliberately trying to get us sick. Instead of injecting race into this, try to use some logic.

You know how the common cold is more of an irritant to us, well say someone with the common cold interacted with a group of people whom hadn't been exposed to that virus in hundreds, if not thousands of years, if ever at all. The virus would then run rampant through that group of people, and could easily cause a massive number of fatalities.

In War of the Worlds, H.G. Wells, had the ultimate defeat of the aliens attacking the planet being the result of a common human disease for a reason.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These accusations about immigrants are no different than when Americans complained about the Chinese and Irish moving here a century ago.
I'm not suggesting that the kids are deliberately trying to get us sick.

Nor did I say you were suggesting that.

Instead of injecting race into this, try to use some logic.

I didn't inject race into this. You're the one who mentioned the immigrant kids.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it is a particular strain that is generally not seen in the Midwest, then children aren't as apt to have any natural resistance to it. The fact it is hitting children as hard as it is, means that this strain probably isn't native to midwest.

There were about 96 million passengers on International flights in the US last year.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There were about 96 million passengers on International flights in the US last year.

That is also a possibility, though it would depend on immunizations and whether or not those countries of origin have diseases we haven't been exposed to.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is also a possibility, though it would depend on immunizations and whether or not those countries of origin have diseases we haven't been exposed to.

This particular endovirus is on all continents. There have been previous outbreaks in the US.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That doesn't mean this particular version of that virus is native to the continental United States either.

That is a mere academic point. It has been around so long as to be of no benefit. No evidence point to it being a stronger version. The question is the resistance drop in more children.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is a mere academic point. It has been around so long as to be of no benefit. No evidence point to it being a stronger version. The question is the resistance drop in more children.

Is it a resistance drop or just a strain that neither they nor their mother ever encountered?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it a resistance drop or just a strain that neither they nor their mother ever encountered?

That's getting a bit past my pay grade. It may be that there are more asthmatic kids or other factors that make them more susceptible. Note that every school year, there are going to be blips of illness caused by kids bring "bugs" to school from home. Pediatricians are accustomed to it. This year, the Midwest kids are simply not fighting off the virus.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟421,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's getting a bit past my pay grade. It may be that there are more asthmatic kids or other factors that make them more susceptible. Note that every school year, there are going to be blips of illness caused by kids bring "bugs" to school from home. Pediatricians are accustomed to it. This year, the Midwest kids are simply not fighting off the virus.

Serious respiratory virus hits 10 states, including Ga.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟36,890.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was talking to some people about this on another board, and someone whose family had it said it is like a very bad cold with wheezing and coughing. Which is something well-known to aggravate asthma in kids.

This virus has been around for a while, but I guess this year the circumstances were right for a bigger outbreak.

There are already plenty of population movements (i.e. summer vacation travel) in this country combined with kids picking their noses returning to school and the virus already being present in the population-- that unless there was actually an initial outbreak at an immigrant detention center, saying that the virus originated there seems like an idea emerging directly from the anus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are already plenty of population movements (i.e. summer vacation travel) in this country combined with kids picking their noses returning to school and the virus already being present in the population-- that unless there was actually an initial outbreak at an immigrant detention center, saying that the virus originated there seems like an idea emerging directly from the anus.

If you were actually getting your news from a source that wasn't more interested in sleeping with Obama than reporting the news, you'd know that there have been outbreaks at the immigration detention centers, including TB and scabies...

Btw, it is entirely reasonable for me to assume that there is a good chance that this came from the illegal immigrants the Obama Administration had shipped around the country, because they are forcing schools to enroll these kids, without them undergoing a medical screening (which is something that we all had to do when we were enrolled in school).

Feds Make Public Schools Enroll Unvaccinated Immigrant Kids | The Daily Caller

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟36,890.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you were actually getting your news from a source that wasn't more interested in sleeping with Obama than reporting the news, you'd know that there have been outbreaks at the immigration detention centers, including TB and scabies...

Btw, it is entirely reasonable for me to assume that there is a good chance that this came from the illegal immigrants the Obama Administration had shipped around the country, because they are forcing schools to enroll these kids, without them undergoing a medical screening (which is something that we all had to do when we were enrolled in school).

Feds Make Public Schools Enroll Unvaccinated Immigrant Kids | The Daily Caller

Oh, good grief.

BCG vaccinations are mandatory in Central America, with 93% coverage. That means not only is a TB epidemic unlikely, but our TB skin tests will yield a bunch of false positives.

And yes, the children are screened. Scabies are lice have been seen, but this isn't surprising and these are, from the public health perspective, more of a nuisance than a real danger.

The Immigrant Kids Have Health Issues ? But Not The Ones You'd Think : Goats and Soda : NPR

If you have a link to a news article in reference to an outbreak of Human Enterovirus 68 at immigration detention centers before Aug. 15, I'll reconsider considering what you said ^_^

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And years of giving kids the "pink bubblegum" antibiotic for every visit to the doctor hasn't done much for kids immune systems. Many doctors hand out a prescription "just incase" for ever sore throat, or irritated ear without ever getting any test results back.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟70,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's basically just a virulent strain of the common cold. The question is why it's hitting so many young children so hard. However, it doesn't seem to be a threat to the U.S. population as a whole. Unless you live near one of the areas affected or are traveling through there, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Upvote 0