Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hundreds of U.S. soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are ending up homeless. How could this happen?

Feb. 24, 2007 - Kevin Felty came back from Iraq in 2003 with nowhere to stay, and not enough money to rent an apartment. He and his wife of four years moved in with his sister in Florida, but the couple quickly overstayed their welcome. Jobless and wrestling with what he later learned was posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Felty suddenly found himself scrambling to find a place for himself and his wife, who was six-months pregnant. They found their way to a shelter for homeless veterans, which supported his wife during her pregnancy and helped Felty get counseling and find a job. A year later, he's finally thinking his future. "I don't want to say this is exactly where I want to be—it's really not," he says. "But it's what I can get at the moment."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17315490/site/newsweek/

momalle1

Veteran
Sep 27, 2005
✟10,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a shame. While people need to be responsible for themselves after discharge, putting your life on the line for your country should count for something, and the government should be helping out.

The lack of response to this thread is quite amazing, especially from those who are usually accusing people of not supporting the troops.

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
icon9.gif
Vets on the Street.
Hundreds of U.S. soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are ending up homeless. How could this happen?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17315490/site/newsweek/

Thanks for posting this article. Homeless veterans is a problem that has been around for many years and more than a couple wars. As momalle said, a person should take responsibility for themselves after their discharge but the government NEEDS to make available every opportunity to help the soldier getting out. Just providing job placement assistance isnt gonna cut it. Soldiers getting out with alcohol/drug problems, PTSD, emotional problems, unable to cope, etc - things that were caused while serving. The government needs to step up and deal with this.

The biggest problem (IMHO) is the lack of funding to the VA and the outpatient programs that could help the troop deal with coming home, making the adjustment to a civilian life.

Some of the things I mentioned in the above paragraph about what a veteran goes thru - I just described myself as per the Army and VA so I kinda know...

When I got out in Dec '00, the only transition assistance to civilian job markets was a half day class on base on how to fill out a resume and answer questions in a mock job interview the week before I was discharged. The state Employment office has a Veterans section thats suppose to assist the veteran but its a title only and nothing more than that.

The VA hospital is an underfunded, understaffed government organization that has personnel that do want to help BUT their hands are tied by red tape, no equipment, no budget for meds, doctor vacancies not being filled, staff pushed to the edge due to overwork, a waiting list to get seen that isnt days or weeks but months.

It is a national shame how the veteran is forgotten - we all tie yellow ribbons around the trees (so to speak) fro the troops overseas, rail upon congress to give more to our soldiers which they should but I think we as a nation collectively forget about those who served and are now out.

I am glad for the pay raises for those on active duty. I am all for increaseed benifits and improved base housing - the personnel serving deserve it BUT we cannot forget those who come home and need the help. Need the recovery programs, need the counseling, need the meds, etc etc etc.

sorry for the rant.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One prob vets have (speeking as a vet)

Job skills.
I went in 2841 (Ground Radio Repair) it's a skill that can be used in the civilian world in quite a few areas (Electronics repair)

Now Grunts (Great for the military), but not as many uses in the civilian world.

While in the military, there are many opportunities for learning, but most don't take advantage of it (Not counting time of war), I saw many that instead of improving them selfs, they would just go out partying at the end of the day.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

"The Bush Administration do have moral values. Their moral values are very explicit: shine the boots of the rich and the powerful, kick everybody else in the face, and let your grandchildren pay for it. That simple principle predicts almost everything that's happening." -Noam Chomsky

Upvote 0

Sybaris

Mar 7, 2004
✟8,414.00
Faith
Atheist
Maybe the fellow should have reenlisted if he knew he didn't have a means to support himself and his family. Veterans aren't the only ones who end up homeless when their failing to plan translates to planning to fail.
As a military retiree I agree.
Another side of the coin is, nobody forced this chap to serve. I considered my service a privilege, I don't want any thanks or handouts. I did what I did because I wanted to.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a military retiree I agree.
Another side of the coin is, nobody forced this chap to serve. I considered my service a privilege, I don't want any thanks or handouts. I did what I did because I wanted to.
Reps for serving, can't rep you through the reps function.

Upvote 0

cmg08

Feb 2, 2007
✟15,352.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe the fellow should have reenlisted if he knew he didn't have a means to support himself and his family. Veterans aren't the only ones who end up homeless when their failing to plan translates to planning to fail.
what if they are severely wounded in some kind of attack...what are they to do then? And the government holds some responsibility in this problem.They should designate the suffuccient funding to help these people out when they come back for the sacrifice that they made for the country. i would see the legilslative and executive branch, and the company executives go to iraq or ahghanastan for6months to 1 years and some of these troops are doing 3 or 4 tours. We could at least be more appreciative. It is hyprocrisy that conservatives are trying to say liberal are trying not to fund the troops and conservatives don't even support veterans when they come back from war. they basically use and dispose of these troops.

Upvote 0

cmg08

Feb 2, 2007
✟15,352.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"The Bush Administration do have moral values. Their moral values are very explicit: shine the boots of the rich and the powerful, kick everybody else in the face, and let your grandchildren pay for it. That simple principle predicts almost everything that's happening." -Noam Chomsky
I agree with your statement 100% it is so true

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums