Under_His_Shadow

HowwellIre-Member
Feb 15, 2004
So.Ca.
✟1,223.00
Faith
Christian
FreeSpiritGirl said:
I would like to start my own vegetable garden. Can you tell me when, where and what to plant? I live in NE Ohio, which means we get a lot of snow early spring, but after that, the weather is very pleasant.
Check with your local garden center, nursery, or local gardeners as to when your last hard frost occurs most years, and sow seeds the week after that date, or plant vegetable plants a couple weeks or so after the last expected frost. *hint* You can speed up the seed germination process by presoaking hard seeds in a container of water for about 8 hrs. or so before planting them! It won't work with softer seeds, like beans, etc., though.

Plant (most} vegetables where they'll get plenty of sun, and in well - tilled, loose, soil that you've added some organic soil-amendments to, ahead of time.
Most garden supply stores carry bags of "Amend", if you don't have any good compost available to blend into your soil.

Just choose whatever kinds you like to eat, and according to how much room you have for your garden (some vegies, like melons, take a lot of room)! :D Some, like cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli, are a little harder to grow for a novice, and prefer cooler, spring weather. Borrow a few veg. gardening books from your local library, and / or see if there's a local gardening club in your area, and attend their meetings. Most gardeners are glad to share their knowledge and experience with beginners. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Stormi

Jan 18, 2005
✟8,172.00
Faith
Anglican
I always use a seed starter before so they have a great start before being planted outside. This is a large, plastic box with a clear top in it, and an adjustable vent, or vents, on top of it. Starting with the vents closed, the water and moisture stay inside, which are perfect conditions for seeds. When they sprout, the vents must be opened a bit and the seedlings grow like crazy. I have seen them sprout always within 5-7 days.

Upvote 0

Ataradrac

Now with 50% less irony!
Feb 10, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
✟7,992.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I always have a veggie garden, although this year we're cutting down the size of it because of the amount of time it takes for maintenance. :( But insterad, we're going to plant fruit shrubs in its place, so we won't totally lose out on the yummy.

Last year we planted tomatoes, kidney beans, green beans, sugar snap peas, brussel sprouts, squash, peppers potatoes and sunflowers.

This year we're looking at doing tomatoes, sugar snap peas, broccoli, edaname soybeans, green beans, and sunflowers. The broccoli will probably be grown in containers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

moralwarrior

Feb 8, 2005
Missouri
✟266.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ataradrac said:
I always have a veggie garden, although this year we're cutting down the size of it because of the amount of time it takes for maintenance. :( But insterad, we're going to plant fruit shrubs in its place, so we won't totally lose out on the yummy.

Last year we planted tomatoes, kidney beans, green beans, sugar snap peas, brussel sprouts, squash, peppers potatoes and sunflowers.

This year we're looking at doing tomatoes, sugar snap peas, broccoli, edaname soybeans, green beans, and sunflowers. The broccoli will probably be grown in containers.

Why do you grow broccoli in containers? I love to garden but have difficulty getting any cooperation from the family. I have three children - ages 12, 9 , and 22 months (all boys). The 12 and 9 year-old play competitive baseball from April to July but practices start in January. We are constantly on the run during the spring and summer months.

I remember my grandmother's garden. She had an extra lot next to her house and the whole lot was a garden. It just makes sense today to grow your own vegetables. It saves money but who knows what you are really eating (genetically altered??) when you buy vegetables at the store?? Plus I am just so proud of myself for growing the vegetables. Oh, well, hopefully, with the baby older this year, I can browbeat the husband into helping more than normal. Gardening just isn't high on his priority list.:prayer:

Moralwarrior

Upvote 0

Greenthumb

So many seeds...so little time!
Feb 20, 2005
Greenthumb's Garden
✟69,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mmm! Veggies. Alas, I live in an apartment and have a postage stamp sized balcony. I usually try to grow herbs and tomatoes. But last year I tried peppers and I had a bumper crop. This year I may venture out and try lettuce. Has anyone else grown salad in a pot?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PromiseSeeker

You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine........
Feb 23, 2005
✟1,142.00
Faith
Baptist
I love to garden too....... In the past I've grown tomatoes, squash, onions, bell peppers, green beans, carrots, cucumbers, jalapeno peppers, lettuce, potatoes, and radishes....... I'd really like to try some cool weather planting too like caulifower and brocolli. I also like to grow herbs. For several years I kept them up, and then one year we had a real hard freeze and it killed them all. I had mint, basil, thyme, catnip, garlic, rosemary, oregano, chives, dill and sage. I liked to go and and just run my hands throught them, or crush some leaves for the the smells........ and then sometimes I'd pinch a bit of this and that to cook with........ Mmmm.......

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Stormi said:
seed starter planted outside. This is a large, plastic box with a clear top in it, and an adjustable vent,

Down in the rural South we use discarded egg cartons (our local grocer gives us the big sheets if we want em) covered with plastic wrap (The cheap kind at the $ store). Poke holes in it w/toothpick in a few days and you get the same deal--that you do not have to store year after year.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I remember my grandmother's garden. She had an extra lot next to her house and the whole lot was a garden.

If you don't have grandma's space. Try yellow squash. You don't have to do anything much to them. They grow in mounds, or any kinda way and they have lovely blooms.

Upvote 0