Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think people are forgetting here that the OP is a statement from a Catholic perspective. Our faith forbids us to participate or condone this sort of thing. We advocate for life from conception to natural death.

We can split hairs & throw out bad comparisons until the cows come home but the fact is as Catholics we should not try to soften the blow of what Brittany Maynard chose to do. She was not a soldier & she is not Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,741,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There seems to be a disease on this thread. Bad comparisons.
Thank you. Why can't people here discuss the actual OP? From a Catholic perspective. I know it is a novel idea but...

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
For you to suggest that I see no difference in in those two situations suggests that you did not read what I said and consider it and instead let your emotions take you somewhere I didn't go.
Welcome to OBOB. Good luck getting people to grasp what you said and/or the differences between valid/invalid analogies (no matter how plainly it was stated); you'll need it.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟146,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Speaking of my father in my prayer request thread, his tumors are non-cancerous, but also growing and inoperable. He got diagnosed as terminal in 2007. He will die young (according to the doctors), but he has many years (from 2007) of life left. His vision has recently become so bad that he can't legally drive anymore, but he lives happy and well (all things considered). I would have never met him, and he would have never met his three grandchildren had he chosen assisted suicide after being diagnosed as terminal.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟146,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Thank you. Why can't people here discuss the actual OP? From a Catholic perspective. I know it is a novel idea but...

I try, but it always turns secular or I get slammed for staying true to Catholicism because "I'm not Catholic"

So I should just shut it is what I gather

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I will start by saying that I cannot relate to being in the position this woman was in. I don't know what she was going though and all that. However, I do believe she made the wrong decision.

Similar to Catholicism, Judaism teaches that suicide is almost never acceptable. There's like one exception I know of and it has to do with being tortured so much to convert to another faith that you fear they may succeed in breaking you. It's rare and obscure and I don't think it comes up much in the real world. We recognize that our body is not our own but is on loan, so to speak. It is not ours to do with what we will and we should take care of it.

Just to be clear, those men and women who walked to their deaths in the Holocaust singing the Shema were not committing suicide in case anybody brings them up.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟943,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For you to suggest that I see no difference in in those two situations suggests that you did not read what I said and consider it and instead let your emotions take you somewhere I didn't go. There exists a vast chasm of difference between those two situations, but that does not mean that both do not require bravery. It isn't easy for anyone to risk or give their life, even for a cause they believe in.

Thank you son for his service. I come from a military family and had a cup of coffee in the armed services as well.

Or maybe you stated your case poorly, because my impression was the same as hers.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,741,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I try, but it always turns secular or I get slammed for staying true to Catholicism because "I'm not Catholic"

So I should just shut it is what I gather
No you shouldn't. I find it refreshing when people actually discuss things in light of Church teaching & not just their own opinion. You can get the opinions anywhere.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,741,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will start by saying that I cannot relate to being in the position this woman was in. I don't know what she was going though and all that. However, I do believe she made the wrong decision.

Similar to Catholicism, Judaism teaches that suicide is almost never acceptable. There's like one exception I know of and it has to do with being tortured so much to convert to another faith that you fear they may succeed in breaking you. It's rare and obscure and I don't think it comes up much in the real world. We recognize that our body is not our own but is on loan, so to speak. It is not ours to do with what we will and we should take care of it.

Just to be clear, those men and women who walked to their deaths in the Holocaust singing the Shema were not committing suicide in case anybody brings them up.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can dying in excruciating agony or being drugged to the gills to kill that pain be considered as being dignified?
If I were terminal with a painful death guaranteed and my family was in accord with my wishes,I would seriously contemplate ending my life..with dignity.

Upvote 0