Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
McDonald’s said Thursday (Jan. 12) that it is working with the archbishop who dispenses charity on behalf of Pope Francis to provide 1,000 free lunches to the homeless who live in the area around the Vatican every Monday starting next week.

A company spokesman said the Italian charity Medicina Solidale, which offers medical care to the poor, had approached the global hamburger chain to request the weekly donation. Volunteers from the charity will collect the meals from the restaurant, which is near the square, and distribute them.

http://religionnews.com/2017/01/12/mcdonalds-next-to-vatican-to-offer-free-meals-to-the-homeless/

Reactions: bill5

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can bet that members of the Curia will be no where near McDonalds on those Mondays. They won't want to be mixing with the homeless and hungry. But the Pope just might show up.

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A bunch of chemically laden processed food that is very bad for you. That's what they serve.
I had the same thought. Maybe they will provide salads or some good Italian pasta.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had the same thought. Maybe they will provide salads or some good Italian pasta.
We can hope! I know McDonalds vary by the regions they are in. I just hope it is good food and nutritious.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
A bunch of chemically laden processed food that is very bad for you. That's what they serve.
I have no idea what's in their Strawberry Smoothie, but I know it's very very little strawberries. I imagine it's mostly high fructose corn syrup, some kind of chemical thickener, and other chemical colors, preservatives, etc. No matter how good it looks on the Marquee, I have to resist.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It's still has real food. The French fries are potatoes and the meat is real.
McDonalds Beef: Is in fact 100% beef. But don't get me talking how horrible the bun is for you.

The french fries are made of:
– Potatoes (using Monitor pesticide)
– Canola oil (most of American canola oil is GMO)
– Hydrogenated soybean oil – similarly most American soya is GMO, the hydrogenation process also makes the oil more saturated than in its natural form.
– Sunflower oil
– Natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives].
– Dextrose – a type of sugar.
– Sodium acid pyrophosphate – a colouring agent, unfortunately not recommended for digestion.
– Citric Acid used as preservative.
– Dimethylpolysiloxane – an anti-foaming agent.
– TBHQ – a petroleum-based preservative.
– Vegetable oil for frying – a blend of 7 ingredients including: canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with tert-butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), citric acid, and dimethylpolysiloxane.
– Salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium iodide).

• Agree
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One thing I know from being involved in my local mission is little consideration is taken as far as diabetes and nutrition but the point is filling the belly. I see little as far as real food unless there is a donation of venison and fresh vegetables. And many homeless already have massive mental and physical health issues coming in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can hope! I know McDonalds vary by the regions they are in. I just hope it is good food and nutritious.
My first thought when I saw this was that the homeless would be saved from starvation, but just killed more slowly by junk food. But it is only one day each week, so think of it as a questionable treat.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Contrary to popular myth, McDonald's serves 100% beef with no additives and no preservatives. Many products have high sugar and high fat content, and a steady diet of fast food is a bad idea. But the idea that McDonald's serves fake food or food that's full of filler, is just a plain lie.

• Winner
Reactions: jerrygab2
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Contrary to popular myth, McDonald's serves 100% beef with no additives and no preservatives. Many products have high sugar and high fat content, and a steady diet of fast food is a bad idea. But the idea that McDonald's serves fake food or food that's full of filler, is just a plain lie.
It's horrible food. Anyone remember that documentary about McDonalds? Why have they tried to reform their menu?

Upvote 0