Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I visited a church today while on vacation and was pretty shocked by the sermon. I've never heard one like this in any Orthodox church. The priest announced personal prophecies he stated received from the archangel Michael, and from God as well. I'm assuming this isn't okay? He also presented a lot of conspiracy theories as fact (the anti-Christ has taken over the media, democratic party and our government, the anti-Christ is a Jew). I feel kind of shaken by hearing preaching like this in an Orthodox church. There was a lot of vitriol and several people walked out of church. Please pray for this parish and priest.

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I visited a church today while on vacation and was pretty shocked by the sermon. I've never heard one like this in any Orthodox church. The priest announced personal prophecies he stated received from the archangel Michael, and from God as well. I'm assuming this isn't okay? He also presented a lot of conspiracy theories as fact (the anti-Christ has taken over the media, democratic party and our government, the anti-Christ is a Jew). I feel kind of shaken by hearing preaching like this in an Orthodox church. There was a lot of vitriol and several people walked out of church. Please pray for this parish and priest.

There are a few more or less deranged individuals who disseminate such ideas from a clerical position. However, they are a hyper-minority and in most places, would get suspended or defrocked. While it's depressing to hear that sort of guff from the mouths of clergy, it's not a widespread phenomenon, despite these folks being very vocal about their conceptions.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Would it be that wrong to email his bishop or Diocese etc? The Bible after all mentions that "prophecy" should be judged.

And the same goes for teaching etc. especially something that is suppose to be a Homily. That is suppose to be a sacramental act that prepares you to receive the eucharist.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Would it be that wrong to email his bishop or Diocese etc? The Bible after all mentions that "prophecy" should be judged.
He told people to do just that at the beginning of the sermon, if they didn't like what he said. Being a visitor, I thought perhaps there was an issue with gossip in the parish until I listened further. It really made me so sad.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He told people to do just that at the beginning of the sermon, if they didn't like what he said. Being a visitor, I thought perhaps there was an issue with gossip in the parish until I listened further. It really made me so sad.

lol in that case I would take him up on that suggestion. OF course if he says that maybe he knows that his bishop believes the same thing.

But it is worth knowing and doing. Years ago there was a web site that posted noncanonical "Orthodox" churches, and gave a little bio and list where they were so the faithful would not be taken in by just by their name. Anyway maybe this needs to be done for some EO parishes that are still technically canonical but fallen off the deep end.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the Anti-Christ is here, though Church Fathers have mentioned him being Jewish so not a "conspiracy theory".

The visions are something to worried about.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'd be curious to know which Orthodox church this was as I agree that it sounds like a schismatic. Or maybe the question isn't appropriate, but if not I'd definitely notify the bishop if I were you.

Also, while I understand your concern I wouldn't be too shaken. The Orthodox Church as a whole doesn't condone, or approve of what this priest has done, or said. I'm quite sure he's the exception, and not the rule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,870.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like serious prelest.
Although he’s not wrong about the mass media and major political parties in general...
But the rest is kooky and not well-founded. Seeing angels sets off alarm bells.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Satan definitely tries to influence nations and their institutions for the detriment of human beings. That's not the same thing as saying the anti-Christ has already taken over the United States. Along with calling certain people "black- hearted", and saying about other prominent figures, "every word that comes out of their mouth is from Satan."
Even worse than the long-lasting diatribe was the statement, "I'm not changing my sermons for anyone!" That's not the humble attitude one hopes for in clergy.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Satan definitely tries to influence nations and their institutions for the detriment of human beings. That's not the same thing as saying the anti-Christ has already taken over the United States. Along with calling certain people "black- hearted", and saying about other prominent figures, "every word that comes out of their mouth is from Satan."
Even worse than the long-lasting diatribe was the statement, "I'm not changing my sermons for anyone!" That's not the humble attitude one hopes for in clergy.
It sounds very likely that this priest needs help from his bishop and maybe others. May Christ God help him!

• Agree
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It seems like the sermon falls into a typical “us vs. them” pattern which seems to often end up sounding ridiculous. I would think we should be warned about a pervasive spirit that uses up an individual, chews, them up & spits them out. We need to be girded in our faith & do our best to pray for many who are duped by spiritual evil.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yeah, it sounds like he needs prayers. Lord have mercy!

Do the EO have any kind of psychiatric services in this country, if this guy is becoming schizophrenic etc.?

Last edited:
Upvote 0