• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Uplifting Hymns

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What are some hymns or Christian songs (old or new) that you find to be uplifting?

My favorite hymn is "It is Well With My Soul."
It Is Well With My Soul
Lyrics & Midi:
[url]http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh377.sht[/url]
Of the more recent praise songs, my favorite is "Majesty." (It's beautiful to sign language).
Majesty
Lyrics & Midi:
[url]http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/m/a/majesty.htm[/url]
(Note: A photo of the author of the song is at the top of the page, but if you scroll down, the lyrics are at the bottom).
If you click on the links, besides pulling up the lyrics, you can also hear the music to the songs.

~Sandy

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
it was hard for me to read. but i'd love to them w/ music.
a friend of mine loves singing to hymn's..maybe i should get him to sing one for me.
that thought made me happy.. *g* his voice always this way of taking m breath away. its ...*swoons* nice. :)

sandinmyears said:
(It's beautiful to sign language).

can u sign? i took two years in HS. loved it. i taught my cousin a few phrases.. cuz he can't otherwise talk. ur right, sign language can be a beautiful way to communicate. at my church we have an interpreter..i tend to watch her while they do the worship music. its hypnotic.. in a good way. :)

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Doofus, thanks for cluing me in on that. I corrected it. I added links.

Urbanfaerie, I chose links that have music and lyrics both. If you click on the links, it will play the songs for you. (You gave me the impression you weren't familiar with the tunes).

And yes, I've been doing sign language for about 15 years now. I'm not great at it. Not good enough to be an interpreter. I've never taken classes. Mostly self-taught. I belonged to a church that had American Sign Language (ASL) interpreting. I filled in 2 times and got some of the sermon in.....but not really much of it. Still, I guess it was better than nothing.

I actually took interest before joining that church. I volunteered at an "Adult Day Care" where there were 3 deaf people. I took an interest and they taught me a few basic words. I bought the book "The Joy of Signing" and learned some more. When I joined the church that had the ASL ministry, I would sit near by and watch them sign. The interpreter (Sue) asked me if I was interested. I said that I was. She invited me to come up front and join-- which I did. I would sing/sign along with. I love to sing and sign. I do fine with the slow songs. So so on the fast ones. I do awful on the old hymns that use fancy words. Hymns like "Rock of Ages" or even "It is Well with my Soul." Too many words that we don't use in today's language that I don't know how to translate. Words in like "fleeting," "cleft," "attendeth," "billows," YUCK!! Too confusing!!
:scratch:
The church where I now attend has no deaf members, but I sing up front with the praise team. I often (very often) sign as well as sing. I wondered at first what people would think. Not so much that I was worried that people would make fun of me or anything like that. I was more concerned that I was coming across as a show off. I have a tendency to do that and this is a concern of mine, because church is not a place to "show off." If I'm signing to show off, then I'm doing it for the wrong reason. I asked the pastor and she said that "no, she enjoyed it." Others have also commented that they enjoy it as well. To me, it adds to the praise. I think it helps me put more of myself into the worship. Unless it is a song where I'm having trouble signing the words and have to focus on remembering how to make the signs, the sign language helps me to focus more on the meaning of the song. My mind doesn't wander as much. (I have ADHD, and boy can my mind wander)! I think it's also comparable to people who raise their hands in worship comment how that adds to their praising as well.

~Sandy

Upvote 0

pentecostal girl

Nov 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟817.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are so many beautiful songs, but I'll try to keep my list shor!;)

Freedom-Darrell Evans
We Fall Down-Chris Tomlin
Sometimes it Takes a Storm-Jessica King
O For A Thousand Tongues
Blessed Assurance
All in All
Shout to The Lord
More Love,More Power
There are so many more great songs I just can't think of them right now.;)
God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums