• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Unwanted Groinal Responses

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm a christian who struggles alot with intrusive thoughts and overthinking which after a lot of research has led me to believe I might have scrupulosity but the main point of this post is I've been struggling with a combination of unwanted groinal responses when I'm thinking about people of the opposite gender and also with thoughts of Jesus which really scares me, am I committing a unforgivable sin, does God understand I don't view Him in a sexual way and don't want these groinal responses?

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm a christian who struggles alot with intrusive thoughts and overthinking which after a lot of research has led me to believe I might have scrupulosity but the main point of this post is I've been struggling with a combination of unwanted groinal responses when I'm thinking about people of the opposite gender and also with thoughts of Jesus which really scares me, am I committing a unforgivable sin, does God understand I don't view Him in a sexual way and don't want these groinal responses?
This is actually quite common with scrupulosity and OCD. I have some resources I can share links to, but I would also like to know, are you currently getting any help for your scrupulosity, or have you in the past?

Upvote 0

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is actually quite common with scrupulosity and OCD. I have some resources I can share links to, but I would also like to know, are you currently getting any help for your scrupulosity, or have you in the past?
Hi, I would greatly appreciate those resources, but what makes my situation exceedingly difficult is that my parents don't support my faith and so wouldn't be open to getting therapy which leaves me stuck to online forums.

Upvote 0

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I'm also really struggling with is the fear that I really did want to do that, that I genuinely wanted to think of Jesus in a sexual way and get a groinal response which is a thought that disturbs me and really scares me, not only that but it leaves me in a spot where if I did do it on purpose that means I was never saved because a saved person would never do that and so it feels like the years I spent as a christian could all be a lie and that I haven't truly believed in Jesus thought I'm trying too.

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟27,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi ATT. When you have a moment do a Google search on John Bunyan and Martin Luther. In addition to being interesting biographies you'll find that they wrestled with the exact same intrusive thoughts. How do I know this? Been there, done that.

End game? No you aren't the worst Christian who ever walked God's green earth. He will get you through it and even better news - no He is not waiting to use you until you conquer it first. God bless!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I'm also really struggling with is the fear that I really did want to do that, that I genuinely wanted to think of Jesus in a sexual way and get a groinal response which is a thought that disturbs me and really scares me, not only that but it leaves me in a spot where if I did do it on purpose that means I was never saved because a saved person would never do that and so it feels like the years I spent as a christian could all be a lie and that I haven't truly believed in Jesus thought I'm trying too.
Why do you think that a saved person would never do that?

Also, I am sorry to hear that your parents do not support your faith. There is much you can do to work on OCD by yourself, and I will comment with some websites and other resources that may help. For starters, here is an online support group for people with scrupulosity/religious OCD: Christianity and Anxiety Disorders

Upvote 0

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Also, I am sorry to hear that your parents do not support your faith. There is much you can do to work on OCD by yourself, and I will comment with some websites and other resources that may help. For starters, here is an online support group for people with scrupulosity/religious OCD: Christianity and Anxiety Disorders
Well if I'm purposely thinking of Jesus in a sexual way that means I have a very wrong conception of God and its just very weird and wicked, to be honest I use the initials ATT out of shame because I feel weird even struggling with this, I feel like such a weirdo having thoughts and even unwanted erection in conjuction with thoughts of Jesus and I just am ashamed.

Upvote 0

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Further if I have a wrong view of God then I can't really place my trust in Him which means I'm not saved

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well if I'm purposely thinking of Jesus in a sexual way that means I have a very wrong conception of God and its just very weird and wicked, to be honest I use the initials ATT out of shame because I feel weird even struggling with this, I feel like such a weirdo having thoughts and even unwanted erection in conjuction with thoughts of Jesus and I just am ashamed.
We all have thoughts, feelings, urges, and even physical responses that we don't want. The difference in people with OCD is that we start focusing on and worrying about these thoughts and feelings, and are afraid that they mean something bad about us, or that we truly want them. Here is an article about physical responses and OCD: How Bodily Sensations Trigger Religious OCD - Jaimie Eckert Coaching The blog on that website has quite a few other articles about scrupulosity topics as well. Another website that you may find helpful is Mental Health - ACCFS. And here is a video series that I like, about intrusive thoughts: The Noise In Your Head - 6 Episode Video Series – Anxieties.com. Also, a couple of books about scrupulosity:
Breaking Free of OCD: My Battle With Mental Pain and How God Rescued Me by Jeff Wells
Strivings Within - The OCD Christian: Overcoming Doubt in the Storm of Anxiety by Mitzi VanCleve

Please let me know if you have other questions, or would like additional resources!

Upvote 0

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, I appreciate those resources but I've looked at jamie eckerts blog alot and with that article what I struggle with is the idea that yes God doesn't communicate to us using our body but in the case with the groinal responses since I mightve intended it, it's no longer neutral but intentional and therefore a sin or something worse that completely just stops me from being saved, so how would her article speak to that? Apologies if I'm repetitive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We all have thoughts, feelings, urges, and even physical responses that we don't want. The difference in people with OCD is that we start focusing on and worrying about these thoughts and feelings, and are afraid that they mean something bad about us, or that we truly want them. Here is an article about physical responses and OCD: How Bodily Sensations Trigger Religious OCD - Jaimie Eckert Coaching The blog on that website has quite a few other articles about scrupulosity topics as well. Another website that you may find helpful is Mental Health - ACCFS. And here is a video series that I like, about intrusive thoughts: The Noise In Your Head - 6 Episode Video Series – Anxieties.com. Also, a couple of books about scrupulosity:
Breaking Free of OCD: My Battle With Mental Pain and How God Rescued Me by Jeff Wells
Strivings Within - The OCD Christian: Overcoming Doubt in the Storm of Anxiety by Mitzi VanCleve

Please let me know if you have other questions, or would like additional resources!
Also do you know anyone I can email questions or concerns too, since I can't get actual therapy right now

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, I appreciate those resources but I've looked at jamie eckerts blog alot and with that article what I struggle with is the idea that yes God doesn't communicate to us using our body but in the case with the groinal responses since I mightve intended it, it's no longer neutral but intentional and therefore a sin or something worse that completely just stops me from being saved, so how would her article speak to that? Apologies if I'm repetitive.
No worries, I understand about feeling repetitive, that is how it is with OCD! Also the fear of doing something wrong intentionally is very common. I guess one question I might ask is, doesn't God forgive intentional sin as well?

Regarding asking questions, the online Facebook group I linked to above, Christianity and Anxiety Disorders, is one that you can post questions on if you like. It is a private group, so your regular Facebook friends can't see that you are on it. Also, I am willing to answer questions, if you want to post them here or send them to my inbox.

Upvote 0

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No worries, I understand about feeling repetitive, that is how it is with OCD! Also the fear of doing something wrong intentionally is very common. I guess one question I might ask is, doesn't God forgive intentional sin as well?

Regarding asking questions, the online Facebook group I linked to above, Christianity and Anxiety Disorders, is one that you can post questions on if you like. It is a private group, so your regular Facebook friends can't see that you are on it. Also, I am willing to answer questions, if you want to post them here or send them to my inbox.
I tried to join and they haven't let me in but yah it would be great if you I could send you questions.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tried to join and they haven't let me in but yah it would be great if you I could send you questions.
Sure, anytime! I'm sorry, sometimes there is a delay in processing new requests for the group. Let me know if you need any help!

Upvote 0

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure, anytime! I'm sorry, sometimes there is a delay in processing new requests for the group. Let me know if you need any help!
Hi so they finally let me in and now I'm being tormented by the thought that my groinal responses is not a sin since its not mentioned in the bible but something worse and that since its so weird it separates me from God. I'm trying to ignore it but it's hard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi so they finally let me in and now I'm being tormented by the thought that my groinal responses is not a sin since its not mentioned in the bible but something worse and that since its so weird it separates me from God. I'm trying to ignore it but it's hard.
Yes, OCD will keep trying to take new angles and come up with new arguments to keep you worried and obsessing. It's kind of like a bully who doesn't want you to ignore it, because ignoring it is what takes away its power!

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Alexsalimander

Jan 29, 2020
Gunn
✟23,468.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I hope to encourage you and release you from some of your guilt. If you could sin bad enough to lose your salvation, everyone would, many times in their life. What God has started in you, he WILL bring to completion. Next, having a physical response is different to having willful thought, which is different again from taking physical action. Many young boys get a physical response from the vibrations of the school bus, or a sudden cold draft running over their skin, or for no discernable reason at all. That is totally different to wanting to do things with the school bus, or with the cool air, or with whatever trigger may have triggered them, and that is still another step away from actually doing those things. Next, if you have guilt because spiritual thoughts turn you on, Don't! Instead, read the Bible. Look and see how Christ views his church, as his bride. Read the song of songs, and realize it isn't just a love story between Solomon and the Shulamite, it's an allegory for how Christ loves us, how he wants to be made one with us. Read how the prophets describe God's love for Israel, as a virgin bride. God created sex as a picture of his love for us. So no, don't fantasize about Jesus. But also don't feel guilt for having a physical reaction when thinking about the "lover of your soul," the one who loves you more tenderly and better than any other person on earth.

Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you under the care of a psychiatrist? I cannot emphasize enough the importance of getting medical help. OCD is caused by problems with chemicals in the brain. I receive medical help for my OCD and it is an absolute godsend and frees me from my disorder.

Upvote 0

ATT

Jan 21, 2024
Calgary
✟1,439.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you under the care of a psychiatrist? I cannot emphasize enough the importance of getting medical help. OCD is caused by problems with chemicals in the brain. I receive medical help for my OCD and it is an absolute godsend and frees me from my disorder.
I sadly can't due to my parents, they don't support my faith and I don't think they would be understanding of my situation

Upvote 0