University of California working to codify its Intolerance of Political Incorrectness

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "Of course they mean well," files: The Regents of the University of California's Statement of Principles against Intolerance | Office of the President, University of California

Everyone in the University community has the right to study, teach, conduct research, and work free from acts and expressions of intolerance. The University will respond promptly and effectively to reports of intolerant behavior and treat them as opportunities to reinforce the University’s Principles Against Intolerance.

No problems with that ...

amanuensis63

Nov 29, 2014
✟7,455.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If there's one thing that scares me about the Left it is "Political Correctness". I'm a pretty hard left-leaning progressive voter but I've seen plenty of times when people try to "out liberal" each other. Once in a discussion I attempted to make a feminist point only to have a woman in the audience misinterpret my position (based on her own ignorance of the point) and she was just itching for a fight. As if I had come out to the Right of Phyllis Schlafly! It was frustrating because too few people around me were able to parse the conversation quickly and effectively and I'm certain I walked away looking like some kind of patriarchal swine...when, in fact, I'd come out 4-square AGAINST patriarchal structures.

Political Correctness is a good ideal in that we should always be mindful of other people's travails, but when it becomes codified and turned over to semi-literate bureaucrats it invariably becomes a tool of punishment.

This is actually the ONE CRUSADE I can kind of agree with the Right on.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour