Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
In case you are unaware, the Air Force does not get involved in crowd control in the U.S. The article never mentioned the Air Force using the weapon on Americans

That may change if someone takes Michael Wynne's idea seriously.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
This weapon has already been shown to be safe

But isn't that only because they made everyone in the tests remove their glasses? I coulda sworn I heard this thing will really mess you up if you are wearing glasses, and contacts IIRC. You know how you're not supposed to put metal in a microwave? Consider the target demographic of riots/protests, the pierced and Punk (lots of studs, saftery-pins) dressed people this weapon would often be used on are in for a world of hurt.

Why not just massed high pressure paintball gun fire backed up by clubs and shields if they get too close?

Upvote 0

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
But isn't that only because they made everyone in the tests remove their glasses? I coulda sworn I heard this thing will really mess you up if you are wearing glasses, and contacts IIRC. You know how you're not supposed to put metal in a microwave? Consider the target demographic of riots/protests, the pierced and Punk (lots of studs, saftery-pins) dressed people this weapon would often be used on are in for a world of hurt.

Why not just massed high pressure paintball gun fire backed up by clubs and shields if they get too close?
Why not just shoot them all? I'm sure some of them will survive. And if some people survive, the method is non-lethal. ;)

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where did it say the Air Force would be using it against US civilians? They're restricted from doing that by US law.

In the Article
article said:
Nonlethal weapons such as high-power microwave devices should be used on American citizens in crowd-control situations before being used on the battlefield, the Air Force secretary said Tuesday.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the Article
Nonlethal weapons such as high-power microwave devices should be used on American citizens in crowd-control situations before being used on the battlefield, the Air Force secretary said Tuesday.
Yes, but used by whom?

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
It could disable a pacemaker and needless to say, kill somebody.

How many people with pacemakers take part in riots? "Come on Mable, now's our chance! While all the whippsnappers are busy looting Al's TV and Electronics, the pharmacy is deserted!" ;)

But yeah, this is just more unecessary, nevermind potentially deadly, tacticool stuff for PDs to play with.

Seriously, doesn't metal + microwaves = bad? What of all the protestors peircings, glasses, belt buckles, safetypin and studded Punk get-up etc.? Wouldn't anyone with metal on them get severely burned by this infernal machine?

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have to admit, though perhaps it is blasphemy to say so, but I kind of like this chief's central premise, which reads to me, "If we're going to use a weapon as a non-lethal weapon, then we'd better be confident that it actually is non-lethal to the point that we're comfortable using it on our own citizens."

It's good policy really, to state that we're willing to treat foreigners in similar manner to our own citizens.

If the device isn't safe for riot control in the United States, then it shouldn't be used in either. I don't think he was implying loosening the bars on what's safe and unsafe here.

Reactions: Blackguard_
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The exact implication of the article. Are you denying that Wynne suggestted using military weapons on US protesters?
I'm denying that he suggested that the military use any kind of weapon on US protesters which is what he was accused of saying.

Are you saying that he suggested the Air Force use weapons against US protesters?

Upvote 0

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
In the Article

By whom will the weapon be used? The article doesn't state that, it just states that the Air Force wanted the weapon tested before it goes out into the field. Like I said, there are laws against hte US military operating in civilian situations. If the Air Force was even suggesting that they would do that, there would likely be a Congressional investigation.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
MachZer0 said:
The article never mentioned the Air Force using the weapon on Americans

AP said:
:doh:

Reactions: xMinionX
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm denying that he suggested that the military use any kind of weapon on US protesters which is what he was accused of saying.

Are you saying that he suggested the Air Force use weapons against US protesters?

Now you're splitting hairs.

Military weapons, designed to be used in wartime, presumably by the US Air Force, would be "field-tested" on US citizens protesting the government. Are you going to say it makes a difference whose finger pulls the trigger?

Whether the Air Force does the job themselves, or whether the lend them out to the National Guard, federal, state, or local police forces, really matters?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally Posted by AP
I'll ask the question once again. Used by whom? Where does the article say the weapon will be used by the Air Force?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now you're splitting hairs.

Military weapons, designed to be used in wartime, presumably by the US Air Force, would be "field-tested" on US citizens protesting the government. Are you going to say it makes a difference whose finger pulls the trigger?

Whether the Air Force does the job themselves, or whether the lend them out to the National Guard, federal, state, or local police forces, really matters?
It's considered splitting hairs because there is a contiigent here that would like for the article to say something that it absolutely, undeniably and irrefutably did not say.

Upvote 0