Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was in the context of permanent fixed altars that this came up. A couple of people chimed in that their church altar had no relics. One person added that when a new altar was installed in one parish, the priest obtained relics to place in the altar and the people at the diocesan office thought it was strange for him to do that.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,066.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well [ oh isn't this slightly off topic ? Though I suspect it's also interesting :) ] I'd certainly trust my young priest friend for his information.

Back in the 80s I didn't know enough to question things like this - I took it for granted that things were always done correctly :( I don't now.

If Father says no longer mandatory but recommended in a fixed Altar - then I'm 100% convinced that is what it is.

In a situation where the Altar is moveable [ as in the occasional Mass in a non-ecclesial setting as an Assembly Hall in a School or large Stadium-type premises e.g. for Papal Masses when the Holy Father is visiting a country ] then I can see it's really not possible to have relics in the Altar.

Have to say - I do like our system of the Bishop issuing antimensia to his priests.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,066.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
But they aren't needed, as each priest is issued with an antimension , signed by his Bishop and these antimensia contain a relic. If the Bishop changes - then new antimensia are prepared and issued to each priest under his Omophoria.

An Eastern Priest [ Catholic of Orthodox ] may not serve Divine Liturgy without the use of an antimension - it is his 'authority' to Serve

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
hopefully just ones that are not yet consecrated? even still, there are relics in the antimens
The former, yeah. It's a shame the bishop hasn't made it up yet to consecrate it. It's been several decades.

Upvote 0