Jan 17, 2009
Visit site
✟11,055.00
Faith
Christian
YouTube Channel Video Devo

“Unexpected Alarms”
Isaiah 41:10 NIV
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Last Wednesday, as I was sitting down to eat my lunch, I suddenly heard all the emergency sirens going off in town. At first, I was like, “What?” Then I remembered it was the first Wednesday of the month. Testing of sirens occurs the first Wednesday of each month at 1pm.

As I sat there, listening to the sirens, of course God laid a devotional thought on my mind. I started thinking of all the times when alarms go off in our lives and how we react.

Our morning alarm clock goes off for work or school.
Our alarm on the phone goes off reminding us of an event.
The school bell goes off alerting us to the next class we have.
Some of our cars make a “ding” noise if we forget to turn the headlights off.

These little occurrences sometimes give us a brief scare and maybe a little “jump”. They aren’t really too scary for us as we come to realize, moments later, “Oh, it’s just a little alarm. Nothing I’m not used to”.

There are other unexpected alarms, though, that can really shake us to the core because we are totally not expecting them.

Call in the middle of the night because a loved one died.
Call from our teenager who just totaled his/her car.
Call from the doctor saying, “You need to come in for a chat.”
Note from your spouse saying, “I’m done and I’m giving up on us.”
Message or discussion from a fiance or boyfriend/girlfriend saying, “I think it’s time we saw other people”.

These messages are a bit more heart stopping. They stop us in our tracks with often a sense of panic. We don’t know what to do or what to say. We cry out to God asking why this is happening to us.

Friends, so often we are caught off guard by unexpected alarms in our lives that really scare us and leave us trembling for some time. What we must remember is that God is always with us. Sometimes He calms the storms and sometimes He calms His child. I’ll never forget that song by Scott Krippayne so many years ago!

Whether it’s simple alarms that give us a little scare at first or whether it’s really big alarms that give us a big scare, God is with us no matter what. We must always trust Him. We don’t have to fear because He is with us!