-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's good many churches taught Christian should be serious in their marriage or even dating, because we can easily influenced by our life partner. But it's too narrowed minded when a pastor warn about dating non Christian.

From a practical and statistic perspective, there's a big gender gap btw male and female believers. Some churches, it's even worse with mostly female attendees. How the number is going to add up even if all males pick their female Christian spouse? They'll be left over.

Church leaders who are dominant male lack of empathy and lack of common sense, insisting an ideal situation. But in this fallen world ideal is a bonus. If they want to be ideal, the leader should choose the least attractive female as wife and the most attractive female sister should marry the brother who has the lowest social economic status. But that just aren't happening in the church.

Some would wait miracle to happens and refused to date outside of the church. It's good if they do that to honor God, but some are struggling with singleness due to lack of understanding is saddening. Because it's a zero sum game, the number won't add up and you need to be realistic. Says no male approach you after being in the church for 5 yrs, are you expect an easy dating life outside the church?

How do you know God can't use your Christian-pagan marriage to sanctify your spouse or dating mates? We don't. Sometime even Christian couples ended up with divorce.

My point is, sure, Christian courtship is preferred but we need to be realistic and practical. We should date unbelievers if we can't find anyone in the church.

Jesus gospel is not about giving spouse for believers. Church leaders who has no problem getting a spouse should not be too harsh and pls have a room for empathy. They should not give advice that promise false hope that might lead people to disappointment.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s done to protect you from ungodly man. If you do marry unsaved, then whatever happens is on you. You can be happier than that. If there’s no men then try another church. This kind of singleness is a sign of the times during The Beginning of Sorrows. Be in love with God and let Him do the rest. But if you don’t get married at all, could it be ok then? 1Cor 7:27. Go ahead and seek but put God first.

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s done to protect you from ungodly man. If you do marry unsaved, then whatever happens is on you. You can be happier than that. If there’s no men then try another church. This kind of singleness is a sign of the times during The Beginning of Sorrows. Be in love with God and let Him do the rest. But if you don’t get married at all, could it be ok then? 1Cor 7:27. Go ahead and seek but put God first.
You mean migrate to another country? You're assuming I come from a Christian country.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's good many churches taught Christian should be serious in their marriage or even dating, because we can easily influenced by our life partner. But it's too narrowed minded when a pastor warn about dating non Christian.

From a practical and statistic perspective, there's a big gender gap btw male and female believers. Some churches, it's even worse with mostly female attendees. How the number is going to add up even if all males pick their female Christian spouse? They'll be left over.

Church leaders who are dominant male lack of empathy and lack of common sense, insisting an ideal situation. But in this fallen world ideal is a bonus. If they want to be ideal, the leader should choose the least attractive female as wife and the most attractive female sister should marry the brother who has the lowest social economic status. But that just aren't happening in the church.

Some would wait miracle to happens and refused to date outside of the church. It's good if they do that to honor God, but some are struggling with singleness due to lack of understanding is saddening. Because it's a zero sum game, the number won't add up and you need to be realistic. Says no male approach you after being in the church for 5 yrs, are you expect an easy dating life outside the church?

How do you know God can't use your Christian-pagan marriage to sanctify your spouse or dating mates? We don't. Sometime even Christian couples ended up with divorce.

My point is, sure, Christian courtship is preferred but we need to be realistic and practical. We should date unbelievers if we can't find anyone in the church.

Jesus gospel is not about giving spouse for believers. Church leaders who has no problem getting a spouse should not be too harsh and pls have a room for empathy. They should not give advice that promise false hope that might lead people to disappointment.
Unless God explicitly tells you to marry an unbeliever (or otherwise unholy man), I would say it's very unwise to marry such a person. The husband is the head of the family, so his outlook on life / belief will affect every aspect of your life including children and their upbringing. If you are a committed believer this would be the source of continuous tension.

We're called to avoid or draw away from anything that is pulling as away from God - we have a call to His Holiness. Of course there are exceptions like Hosea who received a very personal instruction from God to marry a prostitute, but it suffices to say normally that would be unwise.

Having said that I do understand the deep frustration and even despair when simply by looking at the gender imbalance for believers in your church / area / country it can be concluded that many believing women will end up single if non-believers are excluded as potential husbands. For an individual woman God may promise her a wonderful husband, but number-wise for the female believing demographics, there is a problem if indeed there is a gender imbalance. How big is the imbalance in your opinion?

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean migrate to another country? You're assuming I come from a Christian country.
Is Jesus really the king of kings in your life? Yet you are suggesting disobeying Him. not being unequally yoked is for your own good. Jesus knows the world, if you don’t. It’s hard if your not finding a husband. It is just some friendly advice. I’m not assuming anything. But learn and grow in the Lord and make ready for heaven and husband. Trust God. He is our provider.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We should date unbelievers if we can't find anyone in the church.
Why should Christians do this?
If being a Christian means no more to someone than going to a church building once a week, and your intended is happy with that - fine.
But if Jesus is the most important person in your life, your faith means a lot to you and you believe the Gospel is Good News, why would you want to keep this from your life partner? Why wouldn't you want to pray with them, discuss the Bible, maybe start a home group or minister together in the church? Your partner might not even want a church wedding if they didn't believe in it.
Why marry someone who may ask you to have limited contact with the church, just in case you influence him/her by your faith and they are converted?
That hasn't worked for any of the people I've known.

Reactions: John G.
Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Hello my friend,

Please consider your statements.

"But it's too narrow-minded when a pastor warn about dating non-Christian."

This is not too narrow-minded. This is from Jesus. In scripture. That we do not bond to someone that is a Child of the Devil. Because that is what they are. One is either a Child of God, or the Devil. We may interact with Unbelievers. But we are not to create strong relationships with them because they will destroy a Child of God. You will not lose your salvation. But you can be made a mockery of God. It is like Fire and Gasoline.

And you are committing to a Lifelong bond that brings in Children. Children thrive and grow under strong Christian parents. They do not do as well and can do horribly under chaotic and opposing husbands and wives where one is saved and the other not. Do you want to have children that your spouse leads away from God and to the Devil? Do you want that opportunity to be presented?

There is always a lack. Lack of good Men who have not abdicated their responsibilities. A lack of good women that fill that void. Lack does not mean impossible. Lack does not mean it is OK to go against God's Word or Commands.

There is no reason one cannot date church to church.

"We should date unbelievers if we can't find anyone in the church."

This is untrue. Abraham was told he would be a father to nations. He did not believe. Sarah did not believe. Look how that turned out for them. They Are a warning.

"Christian couples ended up with divorce."

This is not a sound argument. It is not a good argument.

Scripture is never defined by what is expedient, practical, easier, etc.

It is truth whether we follow or not, and the latter to our own troubles and difficulties.

Peace and Blessings.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why can't the woman work with a man to convert the person they want to date, that has happened before me?

I don't see this working out very well. Because it would be something like: "Hi, I would like to date you, but in doing so, I would try to get you to believe in Jesus, be born again, so that we could get married."

Though honest, that is not going to go over well with the other party.

And to not be honest implies a hidden agenda/alterior motives. Which is not good.

Peace and Blessings

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God has said to Israel NOT // is a Hebrew PARTICLE NEGARIVE and that means NOTTTTTTTTTTTT to marry outside of Israel , and that is what DUET 7:3 and I Kings 11:2 and Ezra 9:12 say !!

1 Cor 6:16 reads That the one being JOINED TOGETHER // KOLLAO is in the PRESENT TENSE , PASSIVE VOICE and is a INDICATIVE MOOD means it can happen , so don't do it and if you do marry an unbeliever is asking for grief .

dan p

Last edited:
Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see this working out very well. Because it would be something like: "Hi, I would like to date you, but in doing so, I would try to get you to believe in Jesus, be born again, so that we could get married."

Though honest, that is not going to go over well with the other party.

And to not be honest implies a hidden agenda/alterior motives. Which is not good.

Peace and Blessings
Usually, it is the young man wanting to date the young woman and she lets him know she will only date a Christian, but they can be friends. (this is the way I have seen it happen. The young man can walk away or look at becoming a Christian.

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Usually, it is the young man wanting to date the young woman and she lets him know she will only date a Christian, but they can be friends. (this is the way I have seen it happen. The young man can walk away or look at becoming a Christian.

Thank you for expanding your thoughts. Help me much.

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 Corinthians 6: 14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people.” 17 Therefore “Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.”,18 “I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty.”

:)

Upvote 0

BFOJ1950

Mar 3, 2024
Western Virginia
✟667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remarried last year, my previous wife had passed away a few years ago. I am a Christian who has not always walked close with the Lord, I suppose backsliding is the term that would apply to me. At this time I am going through a season where I have renewed my relationship with God and so far I've been experiencing a closeness with Him and I don't want to return to my former self. My prayer life, my reading and studying the Word, and my involvement with a new church, and spending more time with Christians, I believe I am on the right path. My wife and I are senior citizens, she is a non-practicing Catholic, I am a Protestant, though I only refer to myself as a Christian when asked.

A little more background, her family is a mix of Catholics and atheists. We've recently moved to a new area and she has joined me in our search for a new church, however me more so than her. After visiting several churches, I've found one that is Protestant, biblically sound, a pastor who is on fire for the Lord, and my wife really likes him and the passionate sermons he preaches. I am attending this church, the Bible Studies, and the other worshipers have been very kind and welcoming to the two of us. Here's the problem. We both attend, however she not so often, me, as frequently as I can. Her main reason for not attending is that she grew up in a Catholic Church and being that the services are so different, she has not been able to adjust to a typical Protestant church service which includes singing, a time to get up from our pews and welcome one another, a sermon, spontaneous prayers and a regular or not irregular communion, and the service can run over at times. On the other hand she is struggling with this, for she is used to the Catholic ways of holding a service which is quite different. She likes the format of the Catholic service which is more formal, with rote prayers, always a communion, and she says only lasts for one hour. I'm not suggesting one style of service or the other is the better, my point is that she is not adapting well to the church I now attend.

A couple of other things, I'd like to share. When we first met, she told me she believes in God, that she prays every night, I asked her if she was a Christian, she responded that she was a Catholic. Other Catholics have told me the same thing. Of course when I've spoken with Protestants they tend to identify with their Denomination as well, (e.g. Baptist, Methodists, Lutheran...). Me, when I always respond that I'm a Christian, it matters not what Protestant church I may be attending at any given time. My preference is attending an Independent or non-denomination, one that is biblically sound. My wife doesn't read the Bible, doesn't discuss God much, but she does listen to me when I discuss anything related to Christianity, but she doesn't really have much to say. Oh, the last thing. She doesn't know the Bible, I am well versed in the Bible and attend regular Bible Studies. I just love to talk about religious matters, my issue is my poor record of walking with the Lord consistently.

Alright, after this long winded background I've shared, I'm wondering what advice others might offer as to helping the two of us to come together? Oh, I do pray for her and other members of my family with the hope of them coming to the saving knowledge of Jesus and seek Him and becoming a Child of God.

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I remarried last year, my previous wife had passed away a few years ago. I am a Christian who has not always walked close with the Lord, I suppose backsliding is the term that would apply to me. At this time I am going through a season where I have renewed my relationship with God and so far I've been experiencing a closeness with Him and I don't want to return to my former self. My prayer life, my reading and studying the Word, and my involvement with a new church, and spending more time with Christians, I believe I am on the right path. My wife and I are senior citizens, she is a non-practicing Catholic, I am a Protestant, though I only refer to myself as a Christian when asked.

A little more background, her family is a mix of Catholics and atheists. We've recently moved to a new area and she has joined me in our search for a new church, however me more so than her. After visiting several churches, I've found one that is Protestant, biblically sound, a pastor who is on fire for the Lord, and my wife really likes him and the passionate sermons he preaches. I am attending this church, the Bible Studies, and the other worshipers have been very kind and welcoming to the two of us. Here's the problem. We both attend, however she not so often, me, as frequently as I can. Her main reason for not attending is that she grew up in a Catholic Church and being that the services are so different, she has not been able to adjust to a typical Protestant church service which includes singing, a time to get up from our pews and welcome one another, a sermon, spontaneous prayers and a regular or not irregular communion, and the service can run over at times. On the other hand she is struggling with this, for she is used to the Catholic ways of holding a service which is quite different. She likes the format of the Catholic service which is more formal, with rote prayers, always a communion, and she says only lasts for one hour. I'm not suggesting one style of service or the other is the better, my point is that she is not adapting well to the church I now attend.

A couple of other things, I'd like to share. When we first met, she told me she believes in God, that she prays every night, I asked her if she was a Christian, she responded that she was a Catholic. Other Catholics have told me the same thing. Of course when I've spoken with Protestants they tend to identify with their Denomination as well, (e.g. Baptist, Methodists, Lutheran...). Me, when I always respond that I'm a Christian, it matters not what Protestant church I may be attending at any given time. My preference is attending an Independent or non-denomination, one that is biblically sound. My wife doesn't read the Bible, doesn't discuss God much, but she does listen to me when I discuss anything related to Christianity, but she doesn't really have much to say. Oh, the last thing. She doesn't know the Bible, I am well versed in the Bible and attend regular Bible Studies. I just love to talk about religious matters, my issue is my poor record of walking with the Lord consistently.

Alright, after this long winded background I've shared, I'm wondering what advice others might offer as to helping the two of us to come together? Oh, I do pray for her and other members of my family with the hope of them coming to the saving knowledge of Jesus and seek Him and becoming a Child of God.
You are Christian. Christians are Catholic and Orthodox. Some religions have taken over words as if they own them and they only apply to their religion. Like gays have done with the word 'Gay' and the rainbow.

Catholic means Universal. I am Catholic. I am part of Christ's Universal Church. Because I believe the Gospel and have placed my faith in the LORD for my salvation.
Othodox means Established and Approved. I am Orthodox.

Your wife sounds like she is Roman Catholic. There is a whole lot to unpack in the RC Religion.

Gotquestions.org is a great site to go look up something. Read about it. Check it and then discuss it. Random topics can be fun.

Perhaps find a bible study you can both attend like Sunday school after service. My church does early service, then Sunday school, then later service. My wife attends a sign language class while I attend another close. But when her class is not held, she comes with me and we learn together and then talk about it at home during breakfast with each other and those we invite over for breakfast.

Peace and Blessings

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BFOJ1950

Mar 3, 2024
Western Virginia
✟667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are Christian. Christians are Catholic and Orthodox. Some religions have taken over words as if they own them and they only apply to their religion. Like gays have done with the word 'Gay' and the rainbow.

Catholic means Universal. I am Catholic. I am part of Christ's Universal Church. Because I believe the Gospel and have placed my faith in the LORD for my salvation.
Othodox means Established and Approved. I am Orthodox.

Your wife sounds like she is Roman Catholic. There is a whole lot to unpack in the RC Religion.

Gotquestions.org is a great site to go look up something. Read about it. Check it and then discuss it. Random topics can be fun.

Perhaps find a bible study you can both attend like Sunday school after service. My church does early service, then Sunday school, then later service. My wife attends a sign language class while I attend another close. But when her class is not held, she comes with me and we learn together and then talk about it at home during breakfast with each other and those we invite over for breakfast.

Peace and Blessings
I appreciate that you responded. Gotquestions.org has been my favorite go to site for questions and answers and I also recommend that site. I did know that Catholic means Universal but my wife said she's Catholic, I said you mean Christian. She was confused. For me I'm a born again Christian, not sure if Catholics claim that as well. For me it's not about a religion, it's about a relationship with the Lord. You've probably heard that as well. Yes, many words have been changed or have multiple meanings today, some for good reasons, others have been co-opted. Worse is actually claiming to belong to an anti-Christ group, organization, or denying Jesus as God incarnate.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A couple of other things, I'd like to share. When we first met, she told me she believes in God, that she prays every night, I asked her if she was a Christian, she responded that she was a Catholic. Other Catholics have told me the same thing.
This has always been a controversial topic. (Just Google it)
You asked her if she's Christian. Of course she is. But for some reason, Protestant types (Southern Baptists, Pentacostals, etc) seem to twist words to make it sound like Catholics are NOT Christian.

It's also semantics.

It's quite frankly, annoying. No offense, but it's a stupid to ask a Catholic "are you Christian", you'd probably get the Catholic looking back at you like you grew a third eye. lol

That's like asking a dog, "Are you a dog?" "Do you bark?" or an airline pilot "Are you a pilot?"

How can you even ask that, when Catholics had been around for 2 millennia? Someone isn't familiar with their history lessons. It's very absurd when someone thinks Catholics are any less Christian than other believers. Talk about brain washed. It's the oldest, and largest form of Christianity.

I did know that Catholic means Universal but my wife said she's Catholic, I said you mean Christian. She was confused.

Of course she was confused, because the answer is "Yes". It's Toe-mah-toe/Toe-mah-toe". It's an anti-Catholic sentiment.

It's a dating deal breaker when someone thinks like this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate that you responded. Gotquestions.org has been my favorite go to site for questions and answers and I also recommend that site. I did know that Catholic means Universal but my wife said she's Catholic, I said you mean Christian. She was confused. For me I'm a born again Christian, not sure if Catholics claim that as well. For me it's not about a religion, it's about a relationship with the Lord.
Why would a Catholic not have a relationship with the Lord, when in fact, that's all about what Catholics are? It's almost like a racial slur to say Catholic's are not Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BFOJ1950

Mar 3, 2024
Western Virginia
✟667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I mentioned in my OP, my wife is a non-practicing Catholic as I'm sure a great number of other Catholics are as well. Nothing different with the Protestant Christians as well. My wife seemed confused when I asked her if she was a Christian, she responded with I'm Catholic. It was like she didn't understand that all of God's Children are Christians no matter what their Denomination is, was. I also mentioned that I claim no Denomination no matter what church I might attend. If one is a non-practicing Christian, irregardless of church affiliation, then are they bearing fruit, are they contributing to the growth of God's Kingdom, are they setting a good example to others who are not Christians? What I find difficult to understand, is those like my wife who attended Catholic schools, why don't they know the Bible? I'm not speaking of the entirety of the Bible, just having a basic knowledge and understanding. My concern about her and the perhaps millions of Christians that are Christian In Name Only (CINO). She does listen when I share with her what the Bible says, but so many times, it's like she never heard it. She isn't alone, I've encountered many Protestants and Catholics that don't read, study, or have much knowledge about the Word other than what they hear or see in church. This is a sad state of affair, but even worse, does God know them as Children of His? Yes, to be sure, He knows who are His and who aren't. Then again only He know if they may become His Child in due time.

Upvote 0