Understanding "Sukkot" or the "Feast of Tabernacles" (Lev 23:33-44)

RabbiJames

Jan 21, 2006
San Salvador
✟83,822.00
Country
El Salvador
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
vi) 33 Adonai said to Moshe, 34 “Tell the people of Yisrael, ‘On the fifteenth day of this seventh month is the feast of Sukkot for seven days to Adonai. 35 On the first day there is to be a holy convocation; do not do any kind of ordinary work. 36 For seven days you are to bring an offering made by fire to Adonai; on the eighth day you are to have a holy convocation and bring an offering made by fire to Adonai; it is a day of public assembly; do not do any kind of ordinary work.

37 “‘These are the designated times of Adonai that you are to proclaim as holy convocations and bring an offering made by fire to Adonai — a burnt offering, a grain offering, a sacrifice and drink offerings, each on its own day — 38 besides the Shabbats of Adonai, your gifts, all your vows and all your voluntary offerings that you give to Adonai.

39 “‘But on the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when you have gathered the produce of the land, you are to observe the festival of Adonai seven days; the first day is to be a complete rest and the eighth day is to be a complete rest. (40) On the first day you are to take choice fruit, palm fronds, thick branches, and river willows, and celebrate in the presence of Adonai your God for seven days. (41) You are to observe it as a feast to Adonai seven days in the year; it is a permanent regulation, generation after generation; keep it in the seventh month. (42) You are to live in sukkot for seven days; every citizen of Yisrael is to live in a sukkah, (43) so that generation after generation of you will know that I made the people of Yisrael live in sukkot when I brought them out of the land of Egypt; I am Adonai your God.’”

(44) Thus Moshe announced to the people of Yisrael the designated times of Adonai.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, we ask ourselves, what is this festival all about? Many might think; "This is a Jewish festival, for the Jewish people" yet when we read verse 37, it reads; "these are the designated times of ADONAI" These are God's Holy convocations, it was just announced first to the people of Israel. These are the fall festivals that symbolize the second coming of Yeshua/Jesus. Of course we do not sacrifice animals like before in ancient times, because Yeshua/Jesus was the "ultimate" and "sacrifice Lamb of God".

This year, Sukkot, or the "Feast of Tabernacles" started on Friday evening, the 29th of September, and this festival will continue for 7 days, and on the 8th day, (October 7th) will be a special time for rejoicing in the Torah/Bible. Praising God and giving thanks that we have HIS Word in our midst.

This is a time when we celebrate the harvest of the fruits of trees. During the time of Passover, it was the harvest time for Barley, then on Pentecost or Shavuot, it was the wheat harvest time, and now during Sukkot, it is time to harvest the fruits of trees and vines, such as grapes, olives, dates, figs, apples, oranges, etc.

It is a time to build or spend time in temporary shelters called "Sukkot" or just "huts" (the Israelites lived in tents). It is the time to remember how the people of Israel used to live. Now, not all can do this, if there is no space on property or those who live in flats or apartments, it would be kind of difficult, but one can still take time to study the WORD of God. Just like many people will put out a manger with baby Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, the animals, during Christmas. One could take some small sturdy branches from trees, put them together to form a square, and then cover 4 sides with leaves and plants, leaving the front part open. Inside one could put fruit, could be artificial or real.

This is just a suggestion. It symbolizes this time of harvest blessings that God has given us at this time. The time of Thanksgiving by the Pilgrims when they came to the New World in 1620, was celebrated in 1621, and the "Thanksgiving" celebration was fashioned after Sukkot.

It is customary to make "Lulav" as stated in verse (40) using those plants and fruit. The "Etrog" is a lemon-like fruit that grows in Israel, yet many people just use large yellow lemons. the word ETROG is the acronym for "Emunah" (faith) "Teshuvah" (repentance) "Refuah" (healing) "Ge-ulah" (redemption)

The "Lulav" itself is the tip of a date palm frond. But many people just use a palm branch if a date palm frond cannot be found. The Word "LuLav" can be symbolized as "to him" "heart" (my). "To Him (God) I give my heart"

We have the "Hadas" or "leafy branches from a myrtle tree" or any "leafy" tree if one doesn't have a myrtle tree around. The leaves resemble "eyes"
yet there are many leaves that resemble "eyes" in their shapes. These symbolize "vision" and "insight"

We have the "Aravah" or "branches of a willow tree" These can symbolize humility, also, victory over the enemy. All these are wrapped together to form a Boquete. During the ceremony, this Boquete is "waved" from up to down, from right, to left, front, and behind, symbolizing the blessings of God that come from Heaven to Earth, to bless all nations with harvest blessings, nations in the East, the West, the North, and South.

When we look at this from a Messianic view, Messiah Yeshua (Jesus Christ) is the "First Fruits" in Resurrection, who ascended to Heaven from Earth, and will return from Heaven to Earth and will bless all nations in all directions of the earth with his presence during 1000 years.

During this festival time, Jerusalem was all lit up with 75-foot poles with oil lamps on top, lighting all of Jerusalem and the towns around the area. This was when Jesus stated; "I am the Light of the World" (John 8:12) " because he was there at that festival. On the 8th day, the Great Day of the Feast, the Levite priests brought up water from the Pool of Siloam and poured out the water on the altar in the temple in a ritual. This was when Yeshua stated: "I am the Living Water" (John 7:37)

There is so much more, but I'll leave it here for now. May your understanding of God's Word be blessed, especially during this time.

Ben Avraham
Congregacion "Salem"
San Salvador, El Salvador.

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟170,960.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
1696668590131.jpeg

Simchat Torah

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
@RabbiJames , correct me if I’m wrong, but I have always been under the impression that the purpose of Sukhot was to ensure, in the many centuries that preceded the implementation of the thrice daily services at the Temple and at synagogues elsewhere in the Kingdom of Judah under St. Ezra the Priest and St. Nehemiah the Prophet, to provide the people with an opportunity to hear the Law, since without Sukhot, they would not have had a chance to hear the Torah, or at least the basics thereof, and would not have known it. Regarding what was read is also of interest to me; I have read that it was those portions of Deuteronomy that recapitulated those parts of Exodus that spell out the actual laws of the Torah, but I would be interested to know if there is any evidence to suggest any of the other books, for example, Genesis and the historical portion of Exodus, were ever read to the people at Sukhot?

Also, are you aware of any synagogues that are liturgically traditional that are either orthodox or Messianic Jewish (preferrably Choral Synagogues of the sort with a very good cantor, and not Chassidic synagogues, as I prefer the music of the former to the latter, although I have no preference of Ashkenazi vs. Sephardic vs. Misrahi music, having heard exquisite music from all three) that stream their services online? If it is a Messianic Jewish synagogue, I would want to find one whose music was as close to the traditional music and cantillation as possible, because I find the dignified Orthodox Jewish services to be very beautiful, with their a capella choral music. All I have been able to find on YouTube is the final service at Blackpool Synagogue in the UK when it closed a number of years ago, which was very beautiful, but very sad.

Upvote 0

RabbiJames

Jan 21, 2006
San Salvador
✟83,822.00
Country
El Salvador
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello and Shalom Liturgist, I live in El Salvador now, I lived in Houston, Texas for 25 years, the synagogue I assisted there was "Beth Yeshua HaMashaich" well, what can I tell you. It is for all who are Jewish, non-Jewish, and those whose ancestors were Jewish, yet they lost their way somehow, Beth Yeshua is "Yeshua" centered, it is a mix of Ashkenazim and Sephardim. I helped as cantor, and associate Rabbi. Now I live in San Salvador, El Salvador. I am the rabbi/pastor of a small congregation, "evangelic Christian" in style, yet set up to honor the Jewish way of worship and reading of the Torah portions, celebrating the Moedim, etc. So, I am kind of like the Apostle Paul, ministering to the Gentiles in a Jewish way.
Explore the You Tube channels under: Messianic Jewish Praise; Klezmer Music;

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0