Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I was reading in the current events forum and a post triggered some questions about Islam. I did not want to hijack the thread, so I'm posting them here.

I know absolutely nothing about Islam or Muslims. I don't even know where they all live (or are they everywhere?). But from the sounds of your post, it seems like Islam is a religion that has different "denominations" or different [maybe political] ideologies kind of like the difference between ultra-conservative Christians versus ultra-liberal Christians. Is that right?

If that's the case, isn't the war a holy war that is intra-Islam that only involves Christians from the point of being in the wrong place (where the radicals live) at the wrong time?

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was reading in the current events forum and a post triggered some questions about Islam. I did not want to hijack the thread, so I'm posting them here.

I know absolutely nothing about Islam or Muslims. I don't even know where they all live (or are they everywhere?). But from the sounds of your post, it seems like Islam is a religion that has different "denominations" or different [maybe political] ideologies kind of like the difference between ultra-conservative Christians versus ultra-liberal Christians. Is that right?

If that's the case, isn't the war a holy war that is intra-Islam that only involves Christians from the point of being in the wrong place (where the radicals live) at the wrong time?
I would especially like to know if Islam has one Leader/Caliphate over all of Islam [besides Muhammed of course] and/or how many leaders does Islam have.

I believe the OP is references these topics on another board:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7838655/
Top Saudi Cleric: ISIS Is Enemy No. 1 of Islam, 'Destroying Human Civilization'

http://www.christianforums.com/t7838648/
Muslim Leaders Join in Condemnation of ISIS

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would especially like to know if Islam has one Leader/Caliphate over all of Islam [besides Muhammed of course] and/or how many leaders does Islam have.

I'm far from expert but there are several divisions within Islam. The 2 major ones are Shiite and Sunni. If I understand correctly that split was very early and was over who should succeed Muhammad. One going for Blood kin and the other for his close associates.

There is at least one small splinter group that both of these see as heretics. Perhaps not unlike Mormons before they started growing.

My thought is both major sects have both moderates and extremists. Some moderates may be adamant that their version is the right one, but they are not usually prone to go to the sword.

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Trying to answer both posts as they are similar.

First step is to define what a Muslim is. Islam is an Arabic verb, It means "doing the act of submitting to God(swt)" a person who does the act of Islam is called a Muslim (Male) Muslimah (Female)

To submit to God one must at a minimum do the 5 pillars of of faith to the best of their ability and knowledge. those being:

1) The Testimony of Faith:
The testimony of faith is saying with conviction, “La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammadur rasoolu Allah.” This saying means “There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah),1 and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.” The first part, “There is no true god but God,” means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and that God has neither partner nor son. This testimony of faith is called the Shahada, a simple formula which should be said with conviction in order to convert to Islam (as explained previously on this page). The testimony of faith is the most important pillar of Islam.

If that is all a person knows and does as a Muslim, we all accept the person as being Muslim.

2) Prayer:
Muslims perform five obligatory prayers a day. they are more like a formal worship service than the Christian concept of prayer. We also do our Du'as (Personal prayers) Whenever and where ever we have a desire to pray or Thank God(swt) Each prayer does not take more than a few minutes to perform. Prayer in Islam is a direct link between the worshipper and God. There are no intermediaries between God and the worshipper.
In prayer, a person feels inner happiness, peace, and comfort, and that God is pleased with him or her. The Prophet Muhammad said: {Bilal, call (the people) to prayer, let us be comforted by it.}2 Bilal was one of Muhammad’s companions who was charged to call the people to prayers.
Prayers are performed at dawn, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset, and night. A Muslim may pray almost anywhere, such as in fields, offices, factories, or universities.

3) Giving Zakat (Support of the Needy):
All things belong to God, and wealth is therefore held by human beings in trust. The original meaning of the word zakat is both ‘purification’ and ‘growth.’ Giving zakat means ‘giving a specified percentage on certain properties to certain classes of needy people.’ The percentage which is due on gold, silver, and cash funds that have reached the amount of about 85 grams of gold and held in possession for one lunar year is two and a half percent. Our possessions are purified by setting aside a small portion for those in need, and, like the pruning of plants, this cutting back balances and encourages new growth.
A person may also give as much as he or she pleases as voluntary alms or charity.

4) Fasting the Month of Ramadan:
Every year in the month of Ramadan,all Muslims fast from dawn until sundown, abstaining from food, drink, and sexual relations.
Although the fast is beneficial to health, it is regarded principally as a method of spiritual self-purification. By cutting oneself off from worldly comforts, even for a short time, a fasting person gains true sympathy with those who go hungry, as well as growth in his or her spiritual life.

5) The Pilgrimage to Makkah:
The annual pilgrimage (Hajj) to Makkah is an obligation once in a lifetime for those who are physically and financially able to perform it. About two million people go to Makkah each year from every corner of the globe. Although Makkah is always filled with visitors, the annual Hajj is performed in the twelfth month of the Islamic calendar. Male pilgrims wear special simple clothes which strip away distinctions of class and culture so that all stand equal b
There are no Central Leaders for all Muslims. We have no ordained clergy, we do not tithe and no Mosque or Imam is under any earthly authority and usually receives no outside assistance.

We have nothing that resembles excommunication as one does not "Join" Islam A person either submits to God(swt) or they don't. there is no ritual that makes a person a Muslim and no ritual we have to do nor any organization we have to become a member of.

We are very individualistic and each of us only speaks for our self. There is no organizational structure. Being Muslim is strictly between the individual and God(swt)

Those of us that are called Sunni are called so because we strive to follow the Sunnah. That is live the same type of life lived by Muhammad(saws) and his companions.

It is quite difficult to separate Islam in terms of denominations as it does not meet the Christian concepts of denomination. We all are obligated to accept everyone as a Muslim if they say they are Muslim. How ever we might express concern some one is not following Islam in a manner compatible with the Qur'an.

About 80 t0 90% of us are considered to be Sunni. I will at the moment just speak of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebecca Sue
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is really a great and informative thread!
Trying to answer both posts as they are similar.

First step is to define what a Muslim is. Islam is an Arabic verb, It means "doing the act of submitting to God(swt)" a person who does the act of Islam is called a Muslim (Male) Muslimah (Female)..........

About 80 t0 90% of us are considered to be Sunni. I will at the moment just speak of us.
Are the Sunni and Shia in Islam much like the difference between Protestans and Catholis in Christianity.

Shia and Sunni Muslims

Question: What's the Difference Between Shia and Sunni Muslims?

Answer: Both Sunni and Shia Muslims share the most fundamental Islamic beliefs and articles of faith.
The differences between these two main sub-groups within Islam initially stemmed not from spiritual differences, but political ones.

Over the centuries, however, these political differences have spawned a number of varying practices and positions which have come to carry a spiritual significance.

Who are the Iraqi Kurds? | Pew Research Center

In the continuing conflict in Iraq, Kurds frequently are mentioned alongside Iraq’s Sunni and Shia Muslim populations as one of the key groups involved in power struggles for which sharp religious divides have played a major part. But while the Kurds are a crucial part of Iraq’s political makeup, they are an ethnic group, not a distinct religious sect within Islam. Kurds are more appropriately compared to Arabs, the largest ethnic group in Iraq, or other regional ethnic groups such as Assyrians or Turkmen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Woodrow. Good info. Have you gone to Mecca?

I looked into Islam a while back. I did Salat for a month or so and enjoyed it but found it tough to keep up. Especially around folks that get a bit freaked out about Islam. ;)

I may try doing Salat again but without putting so much pressure on myself. After all, God is all forgiving and all merciful so maybe He will give me a break. ;)

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
So....how to reconcile some Sunnis being so terrorist while others are more peaceable? Do the radical terrorists want to also control the more peaceable Sunnis? How will the comment by the Saudi cleric affect relations between the radicals and the peaceables? And what about the Muslims in other countries? Does this mean that people in other countries should fear the radicals coming and forcing their religion and law on us?

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is really a great and informative thread!
Are the Sunni and Shia in Islam much like the difference between Protestans and Catholis in Christianity.

Shia and Sunni Muslims

Question: What's the Difference Between Shia and Sunni Muslims?

Answer: Both Sunni and Shia Muslims share the most fundamental Islamic beliefs and articles of faith.
The differences between these two main sub-groups within Islam initially stemmed not from spiritual differences, but political ones.

Over the centuries, however, these political differences have spawned a number of varying practices and positions which have come to carry a spiritual significance.

Who are the Iraqi Kurds? | Pew Research Center

In the continuing conflict in Iraq, Kurds frequently are mentioned alongside Iraq’s Sunni and Shia Muslim populations as one of the key groups involved in power struggles for which sharp religious divides have played a major part. But while the Kurds are a crucial part of Iraq’s political makeup, they are an ethnic group, not a distinct religious sect within Islam. Kurds are more appropriately compared to Arabs, the largest ethnic group in Iraq, or other regional ethnic groups such as Assyrians or Turkmen.

I place the differences between Sunni and Shi'a as being more like the Differences between Roman Catholic and Greek Othodox.

Sadly, it very often comes down to racism. Particularly Aryan vs Semitic Racism.

The Arabs are a Semitic people and a Minority in much of the Mideast. Aryans especially Indo-European are the Majority. outside the Arab Nations,

An age old disease that seems to infect people world wide.

The issue is not so much sectarian as it is Arab vs Non-Arab. A racial or cultural conflict not so much a religious issue.

Even Israel has the issues with Arab and Palestinian Jews (Mizrahi Jews) versus the Majority Ashkenazim

The Ashkenazi-Mizrahi distinction is overly simplistic, ignoring the unique features of countless communities and the complicated relationships between them. It was put into practice by Israel’s largely Ashkenazi ruling class when they were coping with the massive waves of post-1948 immigration of Jews from Arab countries. While initially romanticized as more “authentic” Jews, flying in on magic carpets from such exotic locales as Yemen, Iraq, or Morocco, cultural differences soon revealed themselves, and official state policy seemed, at best, to be ‘out of sight, out of mind.’ Mizrahi olim were sent to development towns in the north and south of the country, which quickly became Israel’s periphery—both geographic and economic—characterized by poor services and schools, lousy public transportation, and, over the past few decades, rocket attacks from Lebanon and Gaza.
Still, the prevailing wisdom today is that the gaps were closing. Ashkenazim were marrying Mizrahim, and third-generation Israelis, particularly those of mixed origins, presumably couldn’t care less about the ethnicity of their spouses or employees. In his four-part series, Levy, himself of Syrian origin, challenges that assumption. He interviewed disenfranchised Mizrahi youth from Kiryat Malachi and Netivot, who have no Ashkenazi friends to speak of. They dream of working in a garage or of going into the police force; they say that becoming a doctor or a lawyer is out of the question, those are jobs for Ashkenazim.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Woodrow. Good info. Have you gone to Mecca?

I looked into Islam a while back. I did Salat for a month or so and enjoyed it but found it tough to keep up. Especially around folks that get a bit freaked out about Islam. ;)

I may try doing Salat again but without putting so much pressure on myself. After all, God is all forgiving and all merciful so maybe He will give me a break. ;)

The only time I was in Mecca was as a Christian Missionary, who did not fully understand it was illegal for me to be there. I was quite quickly put in a Taxi and sent out.

Now it is a physical impossibility, because of serious health issues.

There is quite a bit of flexibility permitted in Salat if one is doing it individually and not in congregation.

Keep in mind it is to be easy. If it is becoming a hardship we are doing something wrong

Upvote 0

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
While I am very critical of Islamic faith, I am very thankful for you and other Muslims finding the courage and muse to address the questions and concerns that many Christians and others bring forth on these forums.

Specifically in regards to such sentences as "[Salat] is to be easy", you are showing a new side of Islam that I have not seen yet. I was always under the impression that Islam is very oppressive and dictates every aspect and every corner of life under constant pressure - i.e. the meticulously prescribed prayer rituals, etc - you seem to indicate that Salat is more of personal motivation than a demand by God? I hear that Islam translates to submission: do you feel you submit your will to God, or do you pray out of own conviction/gratitude?

Most importantly, I sincerely hope your health issues resolve. Get well!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So....how to reconcile some Sunnis being so terrorist while others are more peaceable? Do the radical terrorists want to also control the more peaceable Sunnis? How will the comment by the Saudi cleric affect relations between the radicals and the peaceables? And what about the Muslims in other countries? Does this mean that people in other countries should fear the radicals coming and forcing their religion and law on us?

Very few Muslims have any love for Saudis. Few if any Muslims will pay any attention to anything a Saudi Cleric says.

I think it is evident at how unorganized we are. Islam, not even Sunni have any central organizational structure nor any written doctrines that differentiate us.

It is pretty much a thing of personal opinions as to what "Label" we call our self. While between and and 90% of us claim to be Sunni we each remain individuals.

I doubt if we are organized enough to influence even the smallest of Nations unless the majority of the population in it is Muslim. Even then the people will still follow Islam as individuals and not the teachings of any man.

Self proclaimed leaders pop-up on occasion, but seldom last long.

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While I am very critical of Islamic faith, I am very thankful for you and other Muslims finding the courage and muse to address the questions and concerns that many Christians and others bring forth on these forums.

Specifically in regards to such sentences as "[Salat] is to be easy", you are showing a new side of Islam that I have not seen yet. I was always under the impression that Islam is very oppressive and dictates every aspect and every corner of life under constant pressure - i.e. the meticulously prescribed prayer rituals, etc - you seem to indicate that Salat is more of personal motivation than a demand by God? I hear that Islam translates to submission: do you feel you submit your will to God, or do you pray out of own conviction/gratitude?

Most importantly, I sincerely hope your health issues resolve. Get well!

At 74 years of age, health issues no longer are a main concern. So this body is shot, but it did not come with a guarantee and over 74 years it had many miles put on it. If my body was a car, I would have traded it in for a newer model long ago. One needs to accept the fact that this dunya is but a temporary trial that passes very fast.

Yes, all things about Islam are to be easy. Even Salat.

We should do our Salat out of love, not obligation. the intent is all important.

The concept of sin does not seem to relate to missed Salat. Our salat will neither keep us from heaven nor guarantee us passage to heaven. It is a bit more complex than I can adequately explain, but the best I can say it is an accepted act of love.

For each Salat there is about a 30 to 45 minute time frame it can be said in and if need be Dhuhr, asr and Maghreb can be combined.

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For each Salat there is about a 30 to 45 minute time frame it can be said in and if need be Dhuhr, asr and Maghreb can be combined.

Interesting. So if one needs to combine dhuhr, asr and maghreb, do they just do a 4 unit prayer or do they combine all the units of those 3 prayers (11 units?) in one prayer?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting. So if one needs to combine dhuhr, asr and maghreb, do they just do a 4 unit prayer or do they combine all the units of those 3 prayers (11 units?) in one prayer?

Thanks again!

There are differences of opinion. but most of us would do 11 Rakkats.

Some schools of thought also indicate that only 2 prayers can be combined

What I find to be the actual deciding factor, is the intent and the reasons for combining the prayers.

A lot also has to do with the reason a person missed the prayers.

While I said it is not a Sin, I should clarify, it is not a sin in the Christian concept of Sin.

To a Muslim it is all about rewards and punishments. This is eperate from Heaven or Hell. We will be rewarded for all the good we do either in this life, in the Grave or in the hereafter. Same with the wrongs we do either by an act or by omission.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
I know absolutely nothing about Islam or Muslims. I don't even know where they all live (or are they everywhere?).

We're mainly everywhere, of all sorts of ethnicities, though most Muslims are still concentrated in Asia and Africa.

But from the sounds of your post, it seems like Islam is a religion that has different "denominations" or different [maybe political] ideologies kind of like the difference between ultra-conservative Christians versus ultra-liberal Christians. Is that right?
Within Sunni Islaam (the vast majority of those whom most non-Muslims refer to as Muslims), there are different schools of thought, but those relate to matters of jurisprudence.

Islaam does not have one leader over the religion. We certainly have scholars, but their opinions are to be rejected if they contradict the Qur'aan or the sunnah.

Muslims may have a leader/a caliph, but we haven't had one over the entire Muslim nation (or even a sizable portion) for a long time. We know that there will be at least one more caliphate due to a prophecy of the Prophet Muhammad about the Mahdi toward the end of times.

One of the most fundamental differences is that we (Sunnis) do not pray to any dead people. We pray directly to Allaah with no intermediaries. We do not give His Attributes to anyone other than Him.

Kurds are mainly Sunnis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
The concept of sin does not seem to relate to missed Salat. Our salat will neither keep us from heaven nor guarantee us passage to heaven. It is a bit more complex than I can adequately explain, but the best I can say it is an accepted act of love.

I disagree, 'Amo, due to the evidence we have in Islaam.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “The difference between us and them is salaah. Whoever neglects it is a kaafir.” [Musnad Ahmad] and “(Nothing stands) between a man and kufr and shirk, except prayer: (whoever neglects it becomes a kaafir and a mushrik).” [Saheeh Muslim]

Scholars differ when it comes to how many prayers a person can intentionally, without a valid/legitimate reason Islaamically, miss before they become a disbeliever. The most conservative says one prayer, others say 1 full day, others say a week, and yet others say years as long as they do not deny that salaah is obligatory.

Do you have evidence of this? I know that Dhuhr and 'Asr can be combined together and Maghrib and 'Isha under certain circumstances, but I never heard that you can combine Dhuhr, 'Asr, Maghrib.

Combining two prayers - Islam web - English

To a Muslim it is all about rewards and punishments. This is eperate from Heaven or Hell. We will be rewarded for all the good we do either in this life, in the Grave or in the hereafter. Same with the wrongs we do either by an act or by omission.

And one of the biggest rewards that comes from salaah is that peaceful feeling if performed properly. Alhamdulillah for the ni'mah of Islaam.

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you have evidence of this? I know that Dhuhr and 'Asr can be combined together and Maghrib and 'Isha under certain circumstances, but I never heard that you can combine Dhuhr, 'Asr, Maghrib.

The only evidence I have is what I have seen some Muslims do, primarily those with Daytime jobs that kept them from doing the Asr and Dhuhr at the prescribed times.

Of course I should have realized that what is sometimes commonly done, is not always right.

Thank you for the link. That shows what is proper.

I've never been in the position of having a Valid reason to delay any of the Salat as I was already long retired from the work world when I accepted Islam.

There are benefits of no longer needing to work for a living

Upvote 0

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What's the overall sentiment towards an Islamic Caliphate and towards ISIS in particular among young (and old) Muslims?

I watched a program on the BBC the other day and was surpised to see some Western Islamic proponents arguing in favor of the establishment of a caliphate that imposes the Sharia on its members, including the death penalty for a wide array of offenses (such as homosexuality, adultery, etc.).

As I understand, the Sharia is considered a part of what you believe is a godly revelation - would you, as Muslims, advocate such a system being implemented in Western countries if you could decide? What about other Muslims in your mosque?

Oh, and that's another question: what do you guys actually do in a mosque? I realize that many of the prayers are ultimately carried out in the privacy of your own homes or at work - so what are the mosques for? Do you have lectures? Do you meet up and discuss current events?

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
✟282.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Oh, and that's another question: what do you guys actually do in a mosque? I realize that many of the prayers are ultimately carried out in the privacy of your own homes or at work - so what are the mosques for? Do you have lectures? Do you meet up and discuss current events?

It really really depends on where you live. In a Sunni dominated area (90% of the time) mosques are mostly nonsectarian. Any Muslims could pray in any mosque. We have 5 times of daily salaah. Muslims, specially men, are encourage to pray their salaah in congregation. On Fridays we have the congregation of Jumuah where the Luhar (afternoon prayers) are modified to some kind of service. We have two sermons - these can be on any topic but most khateebs would discuss the state of the Ummah/Muslim world (political) also.

Of course there will be lectures at times. It does the stuff a church does also (funeral prayers, niikas (marriages) etc) but it is usually segregated. Males do not normally pray alongside females. It depends on the mosque and the location.

The month of Ramadan has its own observances.

The mosque should have at least one Imam. (Most have at least 3). You could discuss with them any of your religious problems or ask for any help.

Etc

Upvote 0