Unconsciously selling your soul to the devil?

rosegolde

Jul 18, 2013
✟15,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, first off i should say that I have very recently become a Christian, I used to be an atheist.

Recently I have had a really frightening dream, there was a "fairy" and other "magical creatures" along with some "regular people", the fairy said she was my fairy godmother and I wished for lots of things and the fairy gave them to me. Then everything I had wished for started to melt. Then I saw all the other people and creatures in the dream seemed scared and began to hide. Then I saw a dark figure and I felt some hands on my arms that were burning me, like I could feel the actual pain of the burn in this dream. I kept hearing things like "You can't hide." "We are coming for you." and "You're ours now." and I woke up. It felt so so real... I was so confused when I woke up. And then I started wondering, is it possible to sell your soul to the devil unconsciously? Or is it just not possible at all? I'm quite new to the whole christianity thing so I'm actually kind of scared that I might have unconsciously sold my soul to the devil. I have done drugs and lied and stolen, etc. so I feel like this is some kind of wake up call or something?

I have anxiety and I'm very paranoid about this, it might sound very silly, but I also have very vivid dreams usually and they tend to be related to things that have actually happened to me or things i have seen throughout the day, so since this has nothing to do with anything I've experienced or seen recently, that's why I'm so paranoid about it.

Last edited:

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not possible for anyone to do that unconsciously, not possible for a Christian to do that at all. Every Christian's soul is owned by Jesus.

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. " - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A soul isn't a thing that can be bought, sold, traded, etc. It's not a possession or an object.

No one can literally sell their soul to the devil.

The notion of "selling" one's soul to the devil is a turn of phrase, it's used euphemistically to describe having betrayed what is good, going over to the dark side, etc.

In real life, it might describe a person who through corporate greed stepped on the backs of the weak to make it to the top, we would say they "sold their soul", that is, they betrayed what we see as basic human decency.

For example, Jesus says, "Whoever clings to their life shall lose it, and whoever forsakes his life shall have it; for what good is it if one should gain the whole world but forfeit their soul?" That is having everything we could ever possibly desire is meaningless if we had to give up our basic humanity to accomplish it.

To that end, yes, by feeding our base desires, by indulging in our selfishness, our greed, our spite, our bitterness, our apathy, and our indifference we act more like the devil, who is all these things. And if you dedicate your whole life to these things, you have in some sense "sold your soul", not as though it were a commodity, but because you took the precious gift of humanity and squandered it.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
H

hootiefan1

Don't be embarrassed! Totally logical question if you are a new Christian. Just because you are a Christian, doesn't mean the devil can't still tempt and even torment you. But your soul belongs to Christ if you truly made a conscious decision to accept His gift of salvation. No worries about who is in control. But I've found that the devil likes to attack and discourage new believers. So, I think what you are going through is normal. :)

I would try to put it out of your mind and focus on reading your Bible and praying when those thoughts of that dream come into your mind. No matter how strong the devil may seem at the time, Christ is always stronger!

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
oh wow i'm reading back through my post and i realize how stupid it sounds, it was quite late at night where i live and i was falling asleep - and i guess i was overthinking things a lot, but last night it all seemed to make sense to me :blush:
Hi Rosegolde.

Even though you sound like you may be done with this, I thought I'd tell you my original response.

Christians have been bought by God at the unmatchable price of his son. They no longer have the ability to sell their soul in that it no longer belongs to them. And God is not about to let his property be bought by a loser such as Satan.

Upvote 0