Uh no, I didn't go the Heaven, that was made up.

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the other story might also be false, yes?

It seems that tales of near-death experiences are an unreliable source of truth.

Sure. But consider this. Since this first boy has denounced his story, then the story of the second boy in "Heaven Is For Real" will be scrutinized further over the next few years, I'm sure.

What if the second boy still adheres to his story and claims its true. Would that mean the game of faith is 'back on'?

I only ask this as a question to move your thinking. Your faith in Christ should not be based upon a modern story of someone's NDE, even if it seems to be 'true.' Rather, your faith should be based upon the fact that Jesus Christ showed himself to be the Son of God, through prophetic fulfillment and crucifixion, resurrection, and the Spirit's initiation of His church into the future.

Peace

Upvote 0

Abandoned Barns

Powered by Grace
May 12, 2014
South Carolina
✟15,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, that says the body returns to the earth and the spirit returns to God. The NASB says "spirit" could be translated as breath. That seems to be a more natural reading--the body returns to dirt and the breath returns to the atmosphere.

Until we get to books like Daniel written long after most of the rest of the old Testament, I see no place where the Old Testament promise people they can live forever. Nowhere does it say to consider the heavenly consequences of life's decisions. As I read it, it is all about following Yahweh in order to have God's protection on earth.
You may be right - a Hebrew scolar I most certainly am not. Perhaps it's just because at the time, God knew they would be unable to understand the promise of the new covenant that would come. Those who lived under the old Testiment law did not have the nenifit of the gospel as we do. Strictly speaking in a linear timeline, they did not yet have the promise of heaven, until Jesus paid the ransom for their sin. They lived entirely under God's covenant with Abraham and Mosaic law and you're right; it was almost entirely about behaving well in order to gain God's favor on Earth.
No anger at all. Thanks for your responses.
Your right. I re-read that again this morning and it didn't seem nearly as harsh as it did the other night. Sorry about that. Sometimes it's hard to interpret someone's tone when talking like this.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure. But consider this. Since this first boy has denounced his story, then the story of the second boy in "Heaven Is For Real" will be scrutinized further over the next few years, I'm sure.

What if the second boy still adheres to his story and claims its true. Would that mean the game of faith is 'back on'?

I only ask this as a question to move your thinking. Your faith in Christ should not be based upon a modern story of someone's NDE, even if it seems to be 'true.' Rather, your faith should be based upon the fact that Jesus Christ showed himself to be the Son of God, through prophetic fulfillment and crucifixion, resurrection, and the Spirit's initiation of His church into the future.

Peace

NDE stories are a dime a dozen and granted, some of the stories are quite interesting.

UFO stories are also a dime a dozen and some of those stories are quite intriguing as well.

People have also claimed to have been abducted by aliens in their homes and taken aboard space crafts to be probed with medical instruments and then returned to their home. Their stories are also interesting, because many of these people have passed lie detector tests and have recounted their experience in detail under hypnosis. Does this mean their stories are indeed true? That is for each observer to decide.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I remember a couple years ago having conversations with people who used the kid's story as irrefutable proof about what "Heaven is like". It was very difficult to try and point out that what a child says he thought he saw does not establish Christian dogma, because people wanted to believe a child saw Heaven, so a child saw Heaven. Then a movie was made about it, and personally all I could do is roll my eyes and hope nobody takes it seriously.

So with this, I'm firstly not at all surprised. Though I honestly thought it might have been the parents lying and not the kid, but still. Though sad that there will both be people out there whose faith will be crushed because of something like this and that there, no doubt, will be people who continue to insist it was true and this is just some secular humanist plot to blah blah something.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2014
✟18,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I honestly don't think anyone has truly died and come back. I don't think there is any return from TRUE death (all brain function stops for an extended period). If the brain is still functioning, then you ain't dead and your just seeing stuff in your conscious mind, unconscious mind, etc.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I honestly don't think anyone has truly died and come back. I don't think there is any return from TRUE death (all brain function stops for an extended period). If the brain is still functioning, then you ain't dead and your just seeing stuff in your conscious mind, unconscious mind, etc.

Do you suppose that it is possible, if God wanted to do it?

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2014
✟18,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Do you suppose that it is possible, if God wanted to do it?

Sure, but I don't think that has or would happen outside of The Bible. Jesus and ol Lazarus come to mind. Other then that these NDE that people give as example aren't people who have been dead 3-4 days.

Upvote 0
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

Doubtingmerle

Ecclesiastes was written by Solomon during a very dark and sinful time in his life, during a time when he tried all things from women to riches to all the earth could offer him. The bible contains these works because Solomon wrote them and some of those statements are true and they are all useful according to god.

It is not uncommon to find people who believe that Solomon wrote that string of rants about how vain life and all things during a backslidden time in his life. Solomon was wrong...

That being said, it's interesting that the child lied and it's more interesting how the system he believed in and was influenced by promoted and allowed these lies but he was just a child and children do tell lies in order to meet their needs and that's ok, he was a child... but it's interesting how family and his beleif system allowed him to need these lies in order receive the love and affection and attention he as a child needed.

Not only does the story represent a lie, it also represents the brokenness in his family and the Christianity his parents gave him, as is also seen in his families current state of brokenness.

It is also telling that this poor needy deprived liar of a child wants people to "repent" because of this. He didn't seem to learn his lesson, he's probably still that lonely child needing approval and attention with a horrible self esteem and holding everyone else accountable for their failures.

edit: Solomon's depressed and angry rants are no more true than the rants of Job after he gave up, or Jonah's when he gave up or any of the other recorded statements of godly men when they said things that werent true in their tale, they are recorded and simply not true, but they are a part of the tale and useful to know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven" now admits that he didn't go to heaven and the story was all made up. See Boy Says He Didn't Go To Heaven; Publisher Says It Will Pull Book : The Two-Way : NPR . It is sad that a made-up story can have such influence. Come to think of it, is there any fact you can rely on that proves people can survive death and go to heaven?

You can't prove or disprove if heaven exists. And one fake story doesn't mean heaven is fake.

If you don't believe in heaven just because one fake story, it is not even logical :)

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think there really can be "proof" only God's word, but to believe that you must have faith.

God always leaves room for doubt; otherwise, faith wouldn't really be faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

God always leaves room for doubt; otherwise, faith wouldn't really be faith.

You think god actually gives extra credit to those who are willing to believe what they cannot know to be true? This seems like a perilous endeavor, playing with peoples souls. You think god penalizes those who are unwilling to trust what they cannot know? You think people who are willing to try to believe what they cannot know ti be true are superior to those who are not willing to?

This seems like a something any foolish conjurer of mad tales would say.

Your saying that god specifically chose to withold plain evidence that would convince people because he didn't want it to be too easy, he was willing to watch them die and burn if they weren't willing to work hard enough and sacrifice enough for it. This would be the most selfish indulgent vain act ever committed. A god deliberately causing people to sacrifice their self simply because their pain pleases him. This would also be a blatant self contradiction of the claim that god did everything in his power to prevent himself from destroying them and is innocent in destroying them. It would also mean that salvation is not his desire and that a level of committed servitude is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven" now admits that he didn't go to heaven and the story was all made up. See Boy Says He Didn't Go To Heaven; Publisher Says It Will Pull Book : The Two-Way : NPR . It is sad that a made-up story can have such influence. Come to think of it, is there any fact you can rely on that proves people can survive death and go to heaven?

That's why doing false testimony is a serious crime. False testimonies may backfire one day to cause soul losses.

The question here is rather what can be done if heaven/hell is for real?

Such a kind of truths can only be reached by human witnessing if any. There's no other way round. On the other hand, it is a fallacious to say that because false testimony exists that there is no true testimony.

That said. In accordance to the Bible, heaven is not yet open for humans. The fire hell is also a future state when Hades and death are thrown to the Lake of Fire. However, heaven and hell can still be visions given to individuals.

Currently, there's a paradise (or paradises) and Hades/sheol.

Upvote 0