Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23337807/

The U.S. religious marketplace is extremely volatile, with nearly half of American adults leaving the faith tradition of their upbringing to either switch allegiances or abandon religious affiliation altogether, a new survey finds.

whatcha think? Any ideas about cause? implications?

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
We've known for a while now that fundamentalist and conservative churches are hemorrhaging members. People simply do not like what they stand for. That's the cause. As for implications? As a student of political science, the largest implication to me is the rapid decline in political power we'll see of the Christian right.

Upvote 0

Tsadde

Aug 9, 2007
Mt. Lac le Fort St. Prince McJohn River
✟8,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My understanding, as I read the article, is that the mainline churches are losing members and that non-denominational churches are gaining.

Do not most Protestant mainline churches lean toward the liberal side while non-denominational are mostly evangelical-ish? (not that all evs are right wing -or libs left wing for that matter)

Perhaps we need a definition of "mainline".

My understanding is that they were the established European churches from non-Anabaptist roots that immigrants brought with them such as Lutheran, Anglican/Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, etc.

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The fact is that most American's don't live in a place with any sort of "townsquare" where people can just hang out and meet each other.

Churches largely fulfill this function.

People are going to go to the church that best meets their social needs.

Let's face it, churches are social clubs first, and everything else second.

Upvote 0