✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
U.S. has bold plan to stall climate change - CNN.com

Many of these shifts are unprecedented and could not have been anticipated even five years ago. Yet these trends alone are not enough to counter the mounting climate-related impacts that we are already seeing. A global climate agreement in Paris this December can send more signals to markets and drive more ambitious climate action for decades to come.

The US has made good strides in alternate energy, and reducing carbon emissions. Why do we need to have government force people to use alternate means? We can encourage research and development to improve or change how we get energy. Why mandate it, other then to show the power of government?

Many cities are stepping up and setting an example to others. Let the local governments show what can be done.

I haven't driven to Arizona in 20 yrs, I was amazed at the forest of windmills scattered across the landscape in various spots along the way.
I think the sun belt states should be expanding on solar power, they should have the biggest solar power plants.

I am a free market conservative. I believe if we explain the goal and give a little push, the market will fill in the need.

We should not have a carbon tax, we should not have government investing large amounts into unknown, untested companies.

I believe the US economy is strongest when we have good, reliable energy to build on and from. We need to become energy independant by exapnding fossil fuels production and expand alternate energy. Not punish the old and hope for the new. Reliable means having the old, while developing the new.

Believing in MMGW doesn't matter, fossil fuels have emissions, less emissions means reduced smog or air and water pollution.

MMGW was a way to scare people into letting government control things they have no business controlling. How much heat a person wants in their home is between the provider and the consumer. But you get people to believe in MMGW, then government has to control it or the world will end in a fiery ball of lava. (When I was little they said we would be past the point of no return in 20 yrs or less, well that was 40 yrs ago, we're not past the point of no return. Never was one, but they needed to scare people.)

I think our government needs to keep "nudging" our industries to find better more efficient energy, but should not make massive changes to force change. Such as a carbon tax.

Carbon Tax: Government gets to set a tax with a ration of the item being "free" to buy. After you reach the limit, then you pay the tax, of course it starts out small, then increases at the politicians desire or whim, until everyone has given up on traditional carbon energy.
Government should not be able to tax energy any more then they already do.
As I said earlier, the US economy is strongest with cheap energy. When gas prices were high, people had to restrict their driving, their vacations and what they bought,because they had to save for gas to get to work. Now gas is fairly reasonable and people can do more, spend more in places other then gas stations. The carbon tax would set the economy back. Everything would go up, because consumers are the ones that pay taxes, not the industry. Since the industry just passes the tax on to the consumer. So everything would cost more(since everything requires energy to build create or get to stores), including gas, so people would stop buying again.

Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I think our government needs to keep "nudging" our industries to find better more efficient energy
Ironically, some of our utilities are not run by domestic corporations.

Iberdrola -- Based in Spain, operates through the Americas and NW Europe
Alstom grid solutions -- worldwide, publicly traded

Edison -- based in Milan Italy; subsidiaries operate across Europe, Africa, and the Middle East
ExxonMobil - Essentially worldwide, offers range of energy-related products
Royal Dutch Shell - Essentially worldwide, offers range of energy-related products. Founded in London.

Only a few listed here, and there are many local as well, but the point is we complain the government is not doing everything in their power to improve it, but it's not all in their hands.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Billnew said:
The US has made good strides in alternate energy, and reducing carbon emissions. Why do we need to have government force people to use alternate means? We can encourage research and development to improve or change how we get energy. Why mandate it, other then to show the power of government?

Actually, the two biggest sources of energy that don't produce carbon emissions are not wind and solar, but hydroelectric and nuclear.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I do not believe in Global Warming, however, I would be remiss if I dismissed those who do. Those who do believe in GW do so with sincerity and some decent science backing them up. So don't make this out to be some conspiracy so that the government can control us more.

Secondly, Solar and Wind powered alternative energy are pipe dreams. The amount of pollution that is generated making one solar panel is ridiculous. Chloride, Fluoride, Bromide, and Arsenic are just a few of the environmentally friendly products used in making solar panels and resultant waste.

If you are serious about alternative energy and you crunch the numbers, there are only 3 real alternatives, and two of the alternatives have geographic constraints.

#1) Nuclear. The propaganda against Nuclear is insane, most people are clueless to just how beneficial Nuclear is and how much less waste it produces than burning coal or transporting billions of gallons of oil around that spills once every few years and destroys a coastline... Seriously, Nuclear energy is leaps and bounds beyond 3-mile Island and Chernobyl. This is the only technology that could completely replace coal.

#2) Hydroelectric Plants. The cleanest most efficient however has obvious geographical constraints

#3) Geothermal. Likewise equivalent to Hydro in cleanliness and efficiency yet again, obvious geographical constraints.

Yes, hydrogen, solar, wind, even Natural Gas all make great brochures for saving the future. But the simple fact is, if you do some number crunching and basic calculations, they all fall short and/or require more energy in their production than they do in their use (namely hydrogen). Natural Gas is decent but there simply isn't enough supply to handle demand. Solar is not efficient, only good half the time and is sporadic based on weather. Wind is the definition of sporadic.

So if you want to get serious about alternative fuels, then its Nuclear, Hydro, and Geothermal. Anything else is simply a pipe dream.

Upvote 0

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
... We can encourage research and development to improve or change how we get energy. Why mandate it, other then to show the power of government?

One problem with this is you have the Creationists attacking science, discrediting science, and wasting time in science classrooms.

When 1/2 your country believes in creationism, and discredits science to their children, you've just lost 1/2 your researchers and 1/2 your development.

Upvote 0