Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I visited a Church of a different jurisdiction tonight. Afterwards, everyone went up for a blessing, and the priest held out his hand with the sleeve covering it.

Because I was told the reason for kissing the priest's hand is that he touches the Body of Christ, I'm wondering about the practice of kissing his sleeve? I don't suppose it matters that there was no liturgy?

It was Vespers at an Antiochian parish.

Thanks!

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm, ok. Well, I thought maybe it was a practice in some circumstance.

I have been to this priest's Church before, and I don't THINK he did that then. I plan to be going back. I think I'll wait a few weeks and if it continues, I will ask then.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lol I had not thought of those kinds of things. In that case it could embarrass him if I ask.

I'm trying to decide if there's anything "wrong" with it though. It doesn't have the same theological basis as kissing the priest's hand. Though if done for any good reason (which I'm sure there is one) it would seem to be something like ekonomia.

The last times I was there, iirc, he had a blessing cross. Maybe that's the reason - this time he didn't have one. There might have been presanctified liturgies too, so there might have been antidoron. I don't remember exactly as too much was new to me back then, and at some of the services I didn't even go up because I wasn't sure how I felt about it or what to do back then.

It could also be he doesn't want to be touched. I remember he was very gracious to talk to me for a very long time, but he was very careful not to look me in the eye either. It was very disconcerting at the time, to talk to him so much with him mostly looking past me, lol.

Ok, so I probably won't ask, so I don't have to embarrass him. I just need to think about it a bit more.

Thanks all!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I asked my Liturgics instructor about kissing a priest's sleeve, and while he could not explain the origin or why exactly, he has been to places where the priest's sleeve or cuff have been kissed.

Thanks, ArmyMatt! I appreciate knowing that! :)

Upvote 0