Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But they do contradict each other.
I disagree. One is the broad overview of the world, and the other is the close-up of the garden. The focus is different, but there's not a contradiction.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
AV1611VET said:
I believe Adam wrote Genesis 1 and 2.
I'm not convinced Adam had a written language. Which would mean the Creation account - if God revealed it to Adam - would be preserved in oral tradition.
AV1611VET said:
And since Adam lived for 950 years, he could very well have written it two to three hundred years later.
Yeah. And that could explain the seeming difference in viewpoint of the two accounts, as well.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The fact that the first 5 books were always recognized as being written by Moses until modern scholars decided to be creative and come up with a different version of what happened.
Scholarship can be applied to all historical literature, including the Bible. There's absolutely no reason to suggest otherwise.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They made up the theory. It's what modern scholars do.
They applied widely held scholarly textual critical analyses to Genesis. Not my concern if it contradicts your personal religious beliefs.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They applied widely held scholarly textual critical analyses to Genesis. Not my concern if it contradicts your personal religious beliefs.
That's a fancy way of saying they made it up. It's a historical fact that it was always universally accepted that Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Holy Bible. It's not just based on personal religious beliefs. I'm also referencing history. Christianity and Judaism are historical religions. But modern scholars like to rewrite history.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's a fancy way of saying they made it up. It's a historical fact that it was always universally accepted that Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Holy Bible. It's not just based on personal religious beliefs. I'm also referencing history. Christianity and Judaism are historical religions. But modern scholars like to rewrite history.
Lol.
Read my link.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a problem understanding the chapters of Genesis.
The problem lies not in what you understand, but what you don't.

Until your desire to know is greater than your need to believe, you'll forever be at a disadvantage.

• Winner
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The problem lies not in what you understand, but what you don't.

Until your desire to know is greater than your need to believe, you'll forever be at a disadvantage.
I don't accept rewritten history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

This is the kind of idiotic statements that these "Scholars" come up with:

"(4) Fourth, Genesis 1:1-2:3 treats the matter of creation differently than in Genesis 2:4 and following passages. In Genesis 1:27, God simultaneously creates multiple men and women on the sixth day, and he does so by speaking:

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. [Note the plural forms indicated by the object pronouns them in the top and bottom passages]"

"Note the plural"---them----right---God creating one man and one woman and then saying "them", since there is more than one individual, means that He must have created many of each!!!! What kind of stupidity is that?? I have a female dog and a male dog---they are "them"--not many of each sex!!

They don't even bother to read the original---
Genesis 1:26
and Elohiym said, we will make a human in our image, like our likeness, and he will rule in the fish of the sea and in the flyers of the skies, and in the beast, and in all the land, and in all the treaders treading upon the land,
Genesis 1:27
and Elohiym fattened the human in his image, in the image of Elohiym he fattened him, male and female he fattened them,
Mechanical Translation

There is no way of making many of each sex out of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing like a nice frame story to turn unbelievers, who will use any translation or any religious writings to argue other points, into KJVOs ... eh?

The NIV "corrects" their "problem" quite nicely.

But for some reason, they're playing Scrabble with only the letters J, E, P, D, and wondering why they can't make a word with it.

So they blame it on Mattel.

Upvote 0

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The fact that the first 5 books were always recognized as being written by Moses until modern scholars decided to be creative and come up with a different version of what happened.

It's like everyone believing the earth was flat until people actually studied it and decided to be creative and come up with a different version of the shape of the earth.

Why would modern scholars, people who actually study literature, make it up?

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.