jerry ralph

Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
“God is to be seen in the light of a cottage window as well as in the sun or the stars.” ARTHUR G. CLUTTON-BROCK

“For God, who said, ‘Light shall shine out of darkness,’ is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves.”

“We have this treasure in earthen vessels.” The NIV uses the term “jars of clay.” The idea here that the apostle Paul is conveying is of the power of God and the Light of knowledge that shinned through the face of Christ can also be found to shine through our lives. The greatness of the power that works through the lives of us that believe in Jesus and the finished work of the cross is not from ourselves. I think many times in my life when I have been empowered to accomplish some task, the first thought I would have would be “see what I’ve done.” As I grow older I realize that I can do very little that is worthwhile or lasting on my own. Paul tells us in these verses that we only can keep this power from God in the containers we have, that is our earthly vehicles, our jars of clay, our earthen vessels. Some of the most beautiful earthen vessels I have met have been people who have been dropped, cracked, broken and put back together, and those who maybe had a piece or two missing. My how the light of God shines through the imperfections of these earthen vessels. They become quite beautiful as God uses them despite their flaws. Today I am grateful for the many earthen vessels that have been part of my life, and especially the ones that the Light of knowledge was able to shine brightly through. God is still doing for me what I could not do for myself.

Many of us in the AA program lost a loved one this week. Truman was in his late seventies and passed Monday of heart failure. His heart never stopped loving those that still suffer, it just gave out physically. Because of Truman many small town meetings in my county were kept open because he cared and wanted to be there for somebody if they needed help. He will be missed. I dedicate this devotion to Truman………….JRE

“Nothing in their lives took precedence over their response to a call for help from some alcoholic in need. They would travel miles and stay up all night with someone they had never laid eyes on before and think nothing of it. Far from expecting praise for their deeds, they claimed the performance a privilege and insisted that they invariably received more than they gave. Extraordinary people!”

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS page 274

jerry ralph

Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Levi44 said:
Dear Jerry - am sorry to hear about your loss of Truman and you wrote an awesome devotion in his honor.
Yes, God sure can put our broken vessels back together and most times makes a very beautiful vessel.
God bless you - Hedi

Thank you Hedi...........your friend Jerry

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Levi44 said:
Dear Jerry - am sorry to hear about your loss of Truman and you wrote an awesome devotion in his honor.
Yes, God sure can put our broken vessels back together and most times makes a very beautiful vessel.
God bless you - Hedi

I will join Levi44 here...funny how hard I have fought to fix all my broken parts...instead of just letting the light of Jesus shine hru. :wave:

Upvote 0