Connecticut
✟7,754.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I couldn't really think of a title to describe what I mean, but is there different ways to be a true Christian? A lot of people follow Christianity strictly and others are more lenient. Are both right? Or is one wrong? If you accept Jesus and pray to him, etc. are you saved? I'm pretty new to following the aspects of Christianity, but I know that I can't make my life completely perfect. I'm not able to go to church and I break the rules sometimes but is Jesus okay with that...if he knows that I believe in him and accept him?

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A halfhearted dedecation is not what gets us saved. All over the NT we have words such as 'strive' and 'persevere', even the concept of being born again, or casting off the old self (sinful desires) for the new self (spiritual desires). John 3, John 14:15, John 15 all speak to how we have to follow His commands if we're to love Him.

As to 'breaking the rules', there are two kinds of sin that are described in the Bible: missing the mark, or 'opps' sins, and intentional continual sins. Missing the mark generally means that you sin without realizing it, and intentional continual sins are just that. Jesus isn't very happy with the latter as it shows that something is more important than Him when the person has clearly claimed that Jesus is everything.

Jesus is not okay with you sinning intentionally. Jesus is okay with you giving him everything you've got.

The entire mindset of the Christian can be generally summed up in three phrases:
God is the source for what we need.
God is the boss we need to submit to to be saved.
God designed us to have relationships with Him and others.

If you're having trouble with one of those, work on it.

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0

0n3

Sep 1, 2007
earth
✟15,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Many christians today have adopted the attitude of "what can I get by with and not make God angry with me" or "God is love, and He knows I'm human, so nothing is really that big of a deal." That is why we are such a big joke to much of the world. That is why we are seen as hypocrites. God has called us to much more than just being good people. In Matthew 5:48, just after the "turn the other check thing", Jesus says, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." This is so impossible on our own, but the cool thing is that because Jesus has already taken the punishment of our sins, and we have accepted it, God sees us as perfect! This is only possible through God's grace, and as Peter says in 2 Peter 3:18a " But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

I noticed that in your question, you talk about believing and accepting Jesus, and being saved is your main concern. That is so awesome that you have decided to trust in Jesus, and in His salvation! However, keep in mind that being a christian is so much more than being saved! As you walk with God, He will show you how much He loves you and cares for you, and also, as you grow from a baby christian, and begin to understand more, God will also ask more of you. Hebrews 12:6 says, "For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." Don't grow discouraged by struggles, temptations, or hard times. James 1:2-4, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Just as there are some attitudes toward christianity that try to get as much from God as possible, and to give as little to God as possible, there is also another way. This way is what I would call the way of the cross, the way that tries to do what pleases God the most, and tries to give God the most, the way that says, "Lord, not my will, but Yours be done." Luke 9:23, And [Jesus] said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." The way that Jesus meant for us to follow Him is so amazing and full of freedom, yet it is also hard and full of sacrifice. As you grow in Christ, let your love for Him guide you in obedience, and let His grace keep you from the fear of failure. Bottom line, in everything you do ask God to help you be authentic and respond in love to others without compromising the truth. :)

Upvote 0

R3quiem

Senior Veteran
Jun 25, 2007
In your head.
✟14,623.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I couldn't really think of a title to describe what I mean, but is there different ways to be a true Christian? A lot of people follow Christianity strictly and others are more lenient. Are both right? Or is one wrong? If you accept Jesus and pray to him, etc. are you saved? I'm pretty new to following the aspects of Christianity, but I know that I can't make my life completely perfect. I'm not able to go to church and I break the rules sometimes but is Jesus okay with that...if he knows that I believe in him and accept him?
The best place to start:

Mark 12:28-34
One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
"Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

Upvote 0

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anybody can claim to be a Christian. In order to be a "faithful" Christian Jesus says we must obey Him.
So, the real core of true Christian life is motive, love and obedience.
I think we can break down all the other "nessessaries" into one of those catagories.
Don't get too hung up on "church stuff"... and never confuse religion with God. Get holy, not churchy.

His,
Rev J

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Read the Parable of the Sower.

Now we can go to church and say that Salvation Prayer, but if our heart isn't right, and if it is only half-baked, then you are in trouble.

The half-baked Christians are referred to in the Parable of the Sower as wayside, stony, and thorny Christians.

So, what you have to do is get over the half-being-baked, and get full-baked to a 30-fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold Christian, because they are the true Christians.

You need good foundation of His Word in your heart, look for a good God-anointed, mature Christian to help you on your way. Bible study will also help.

Keep going, but stop sinning!

Upvote 0

DavinMochrie

Jan 12, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
✟2,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The entire mindset of the Christian can be generally summed up in three phrases:
God is the source for what we need.
God is the boss we need to submit to to be saved.
God designed us to have relationships with Him and others.

Thanks mate!

This is what I believe also! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TheOrthodoxOne

Sep 5, 2007
✟15,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we are all imperfect people learning to live out of a relationship with God. One of the really great Christians, the apostle Paul, said he was not perfect, but he was keeping on course in following Jesus.

John
NZ

Now this(above post) is some true advice. Strive to do good, mourn over your shortcomings, and trust in God. Do not despair over your weaknesses, but don't ever attempt to change the standard; which is Jesus Christ. For many think that by lowering the standard they make it easier for people to become Christians, not realizing that what it is that they hold out has now ceased to be Christianity. This is the greatest danger. Peace be with you.

-David

Reactions: jive4005
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.