Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes. That's consistent with reformed theology.
Actually it's not. Classic Reformed theology was built upon Calvinism. It was not until later in history that Arminianism arose as a reaction against it. Today, the four of the five points of Calvinism have gone out of style, the one exception being the perseverance of the saints (OSAS). So today protestant theology is not so Reformed as it once was.

Upvote 0

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If they are unrepentant, are they not in rebellion with God? Is there not a sin unto death?
Yes but your statement did not explain anything and neither does this one. lol
Of course murderers have to repent. But EVERYONE has to repent. There are people who call themselves Christians who dont murder anyone who are going to hell.

Upvote 0

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All kinds of people call themselves Christians who arent for example. Evangelist who do it for the money or people caught up in relationships who lie for the benefit of the relationship, or maybe someone who is a backslider or a weekend warrior type, who acts like a Christian in church but not the rest of the week.

The specifics are really to vast to go into. I thought that you may have had a description that covered all these people or knew of several scriptures that helped explain your stance or give testimony into understanding a sermon or teaching.
But it looks as if you're looking for explanations yourself, in a round about way.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Evangelist who do it for the money or people caught up in relationships who lie for the benefit of the relationship, or maybe someone who is a backslider or a weekend warrior type, who acts like a Christian in church but not the rest of the week.
If they lied to obtain baptism, then their baptism was not valid and they were never a Christian in the first place. This is called FRAUD. They are not all that common.

As for the Christian who simply goes to church on Sunday and is worldly the rest of the week, what makes you think he didn't have a valid conversion? How can you judge? He may simply be backslidden.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Actually it's not. Classic Reformed theology was built upon Calvinism. It was not until later in history that Arminianism arose as a reaction against it. Today, the four of the five points of Calvinism have gone out of style, the one exception being the perseverance of the saints (OSAS). So today protestant theology is not so Reformed as it once was.
And your erroneous history lesson has nothing to do with what I said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I'm curious. Tell me what the difference is.
Generally the osas crowd hold to easy-believism. In other words, you raise your hand, walk the aisle, pray the sinners prayer and you're in for life. So while God plays a big part, it's really dependent upon what you do in the beginning, and you can still live your life like you did. It's basically a Get out of Hell Free card.

POTS is the truth that whomever God saves, He saves to the uttermost. He who began a good work will complete it. Those He calls He also justifies.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Generally the osas crowd hold to easy-believism. In other words, you raise your hand, walk the aisle, pray the sinners prayer and you're in for life. So while God plays a big part, it's really dependent upon what you do in the beginning, and you can still live your life like you did. It's basically a Get out of Hell Free card.

POTS is the truth that whomever God saves, He saves to the uttermost. He who began a good work will complete it. Those He calls He also justifies.

Now, until you posted this I would have said that I was OSAS. However, now I understand that I am actually a POTS.
Whew...one less letter I have to worry about...

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

I still don't get it. In visual terms, how do you know the difference?

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I can't agree with this "easy-believism" for one who is convicted and then confesses Jesus as Savior. That "Get out of Hell Free" comment is really an insult to the sacrifice that Jesus made. Raising one's hand, walking the aisle, praying the "sinner's prayer" is not where it's at. Yes, there are phony "believers" out there, who never actually had the born-again experience, then went on their way, doing their own thing. If you ask them about their faith they respond with "I'm a BaBtist," or "My mother was a Christian," or "I was baptized 8 days after birth." Then there are those who authentically came under conviction, but after a couple of months drifted away from 24-hour acknowledgement.

To label the OSAS authentic Believers in the "generally" camp is wrong.

Upvote 0