Feb 16, 2010
✟15,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Could someone explain to me what the Trinity is...

I think it means God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit are one... however

I dont understand this!?

how could God have "killed" himself on the cross?

Who believes in the Trinity and who doesn't?

Is God really everywhere? Can He hear EVERYONES prayers at one time?

What is origional sin?

What is the difference between a Catholic and a Roman catholic?!

and lastly - why did Jesus pick Peter James and John only for special occassions - like bringing the girl back to life, the Transfiguration and in the Garden of Gethsem??

I have googled but not getting great answers...would be nice to hear personal answers!!

thank you all!!!

i know these questions are unrelated but saves on two posts :)

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I dont understand this!?

Yes, we have but one God who is made up of 3 godheads...Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Some people compare the trinity to an egg...shell, white and yolk but it's a weak comparison. It's very difficult to understand the concept of the trinity, so don't feel bad about it!

God didn't kill himself on the cross. Christ gave up his spirit.

I believe in the trinity.

Yes, God is everywhere and can hear everyone's prayers at the same time.

What is origional sin?

Original sin...think of a disease that is transferred from generation to generation...that is the disease of sin that we received because of Adam's fall. The Gospel is the vaccine.

The term "catholic" means universal. A Roman Catholic is a specific group of Christians.

and lastly - why did Jesus pick Peter James and John only for special occassions - like bringing the girl back to life, the Transfiguration and in the Garden of Gethsem??

We are not told the answer.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Trinity is a strange concept, but think of how many stranger things we've seen in science fiction movies.

Jesus lived on the Earth. The Holy Spirit dwells within each of us (and moved across the face of the waters, descended as a dove). The Father dwells on the throne of Heaven.

Jesus went through a normal trial process, and was declared guilty by "a jury of His peers." (The crowd.) Scriptures do not say that God killed Jesus, even if preachers try to reason it out that way. Yes, there was a plan of redemption. But remember that Jesus was back alive in three days, even able to eat and be touched.

About Peter, James and John -- I would guess they happened to be with Jesus more often. Jesus called them out from under their occupations, so I would guess their following under this Rabbi was like a job in itself. Like a college student always being on campus.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It seems unrealistic. But picture the Internet, and radio waves, phone lines. Can a telecom database receive everyone's phone calls at one time?

Can it effectively process them all? The Internet has happened in a handful of years, and we have stopped questioning how information races from one spot to another.

Imagine what information transmission will be twenty, thirty years from now! It might even work like prayer, without large receivers. And God is still more organized and receptive than that.

Upvote 0

charita

Norwegian Member
Jan 15, 2010
Norway
✟15,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
About Trinity:

Defination = According to the Athanasian Creed, there are three devine Persons (the Father, the Son, The Holy Ghost), each said to be eternal, each said to be almighty, none greater or less than another, each said to be God, and yet together being but one God. (However this is NOT a Bible teaching.)

Consider this:
Does the Bible really teach that the Holy Spitit is a person? Some texts say that people were "filled" with the holy spirit and that some were "babtized" it or "anointed" with it. See Luke 1.41, Matt 3:11, Acts 10:38. This latter references to holy spirit definitely do not fit a person. To understand what the Bible as a hole teaches, all this texts must be considered. What is the resonable conclution then? That the first texts cited here employ a figure of speech personifying God's holy spirit- His Active Force, as the Bible also personifies wisdom,sin, death, water and blood.

In addittion: the Bible tell us the personal name of the Father (JHWH) wich is known as Jehovah or Jawe. The Scriptures also inform us that the Son's name is Jesus Christ. But nowhere in the hole Bible is a personal name applied to the holy spirit.

Does the Bible agree with those who teach that the Father and the Son are not separate and distinct individuals?

Matt 26:39 says: "Going a little farther he (Jesus) fell on his face and prayed: "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as YOU will." (If the Father and the Son were not distinct individuals, such a prayer would have been completly meaningless. Then Jesus would have been praying to himself, and his will of necessity have been the Fathers will.

John. 8:17,18 : ("Jesus answered the Jewish Pharisees: In your law it is written that the testimony of two men is true, I bear witness to myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness to me". (So Jesus definitely spoke of himself as being an individual separate and distinct from his Father.)

Does the Bible teach that none of those who are said to be included in the Trinity is greater or less than another, that all are equal and that they all are almighty?

Jesus said: (Mark 13:32) "Of that day or that hour no one knows, not even the angles in the heaven, nor the Son, but ONLY the Father." (Of course, that would not be the case if Father, Son and Holy Spirit were coequal, comprising one Godhead. And if, as some suggest, was limited by his human nature from knowing, the question remains: Why did the Holy Spirit not know?

Conclution:
The Hebrew word "Shad'dai' " and the Greek word Pan'tokra'tor are both translated "Almighty". Both orginallanguage words are repeatedly applyed to God (Jehovah), the Father.Neither expression is ever applied to either the Son (Jesus) or the Holy Spirit.

You ask who's believe in the Trinity and who's not.....
MOST christians believe in Trinity (even though they say it's impossible to explain it). Jehovas Witness do not teach that there's a Trinity...

Hope this scriptures helps a little?

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
God did not kill himself on the cross! God is one being, in three distinct personalities; the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The Bible says that Jesus, willingly decided and wanted, to leave his heavenly place, and come as a man, to take the punishment for our sins. He wanted to do it, because he knew how much God the Father loved this sinful world, and he also loved the world he created and the people in it - John 3:16

The Holy Spirit speaks, and can be hirt, and can teach you things, and you can fellowship with him, as friends do. Only a person can do that.
Acts 13:2, Ephesians 4:30, John 14:26, 2 Corinthians 13:14

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I dont understand this!?

Jesus said: I am going to heaven, to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.
Jesus also said: WE will come to Him and share a meal with Him
In Genesis it says: Let US create a man according to OUR Image.

God is one in some sense, I don't think we really know in which sense He is one. But there are more than one because Jesus keeps saying: "WE"

Of course He is. He is a Spirit who fills the universe.

Eph 1:23
which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.

We are IN HIM. I don't know how exactly, I just believe it.

Act 17:28 "For in him we live and move and have our being"

He can have conversations with different people at the same time. Different people around the world hear back from God. Either everyone is on a strict schedule and He only answers to one when He is not answering to another (which is ridiculous) or He talks to many at the same time. He talks to people in their spirit sometimes through their thoughts. Sometimes we don't even know that God was just talking to us, we think it was our own thoughts and we think we were just having a conversation with ourselves.

What is origional sin?

I think it's a reference to Adam's and Eve's eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but I am not positive.

don't know

Who knows the mind of God? I don't think He explained it to us.

I have googled but not getting great answers...would be nice to hear personal answers!!

thank you all!!!

i know these questions are unrelated but saves on two posts :)

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I dont understand this!?
God shows Himself to us as three Persons, each of whom is a bona fide person as we understand it, but each of whom is also the One God of the Universe.
By submitting to His will to save people.
Historic churches throughout the world which are Scriptural adherents or adherents of the mainline history of the church -- they're trinitarian.
Yes. And more. God's infinite. He's God.
What is origional sin?
The sin that originated the Fall and all other sin in the world. It's not simply an action, and in some theologies it isn't the first sinful action of Adam.

Sin is not limited to actions. That's a 20th century idea, and it was demonstrated to be implausible almost immediately on its publication -- but somehow it has taken over western philosophy. It's wrong.
Depends who you're talking to.

A catholic Christian is someone who believes the church is the unified family of all believers. A Roman Catholic says that unified family is specifically identified with the Church of Rome.
They may have been closer, and ready for the experience of those circumstances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums