MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
was the resurrection day written in date in the Bible?

If we love God everyday, he does not care if we devote one entire day to Jesus Christ on a wrong day?

All God wanted in the beginning was our love and love for others.. read Genesis Ch.4 on what he said to Cain.. maybe it will open thy eye on what he really wants.. he even gave Cain a clue

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
--It is clear that he has a misunderstanding of sola Scriptura.

--Celebrating the Ressurection of Jesus on a specific day is not a doctrine. It falls under the practice column.

--The entire Easter date fix is entirely confusing anyway.

DIANE
:wave:

Reactions: Numenor
Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did not understand that at all....I only thing I understood was...

The Council of Nicea also decided that the Christian Easter shall never precede or coincide with the Jewish Passover, but must always follow it, a rule still observed by the Eastern Orthodox Church, but not the Western Church.

Which makes complete sense considering the Last Supper was the Paasover, so how could Jesus have been crucified before? This was when it was celebrated through the early Church, until for some reason changed in the west.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Espada said:
So why worry about the date of an extra biblical celebration?

Well the ressurection of Christ is not exactly extra Biblical.

Oh and we Orthodox are not worried, it's everyone else who makes the big deal. We know we celebrate on the day instituted by the Council of Nicea, so there is no reason for us to worry :D

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
According to a number of ecclesiastical historians, primarily Eusebius, bishop Polycarp of Smyrna, by tradition a disciple of John the Evangelist, disputed the computation of the date with bishop Anicetus of Rome in what is now known as the Quartodecimanism controversy. Anicetus became bishop of the church of Rome in the mid second century (c. A.D. 155). Shortly thereafter, Polycarp visited Rome and among the topics discussed was when the pre-Easter fast should end. Those in Asia held strictly to the computation from the Hebrew calendar and ended the fast on the 14th day of Nisan, while the Roman custom was to continue the fast until the Sunday following. Neither Polycarp nor Anicetus was able to convert the other to his position—according to a rather confused account by Sozomen, both could claim Apostolic authority for their traditions[1]—but neither did they consider the matter of sufficient importance to justify a schism, so they parted in peace leaving the question unsettled. However, a generation later bishop Victor of Rome excommunicated bishop Polycrates of Ephesus and the rest of the Asian bishops for their adherence to 14 Nisan. The excommunication was rescinded and the two sides reconciled upon the intervention of bishop Irenaeus of Lyons, who reminded Victor of the tolerant precedent that had been established earlier. In the end, a uniform method of computing the date of Easter was not formally settled until the First Council of Nicaea in 325 (see below), although by that time the Roman timing for the observance had spread to most churches.

A number of early bishops rejected the practice of celebrating Easter, or more accurately Passover, on the first Sunday after Nisan 14. This conflict between Easter and Passover is often referred to as the "Paschal Controversy". The bishops dissenting from the newer practice of Easter favored adhering to celebrating the festival on Nisan 14 in accord with the Biblical Passover and the tradition passed on to them by the Apostles. The problem with Nisan 14 in the minds of some in the Western Church (who wished to further associate Sunday and Easter) is that it was calcuated by the moon and could fall on any day of the week.

An early example of this tension is found written by Theophilus of Caesarea (c. 180 A.D.; 8.774 "Ante-Nicene Church Fathers") when he stated, "Endeavor also to send abroad copies of our epistle among all the churches, so that those who easily deceive their own souls may not be able to lay the blame on us. We would have you know, too, that in Alexandria also they observe the festival on the same day as ourselves. For the Paschal letters are sent from us to them, and from them to us—so that we observe the holy day in unison and together."

Polycarp, a disciple of John, likewise adhered to a Nisan 14 observance. Irenaeus, who observed the "first Sunday" rule notes of Polycarp (one of the Bishops of Asia Minor), "For Anicetus could not persuade Polycarp to forgo the observance [of his Nisan 14 practice] inasmuch as these things had been always observed by John the disciple of the Lord, and by other apostles with whom he had been conversant." (c. 180 A.D.; 1.569 "Ante-Nicene Church Fathers"). Irenaeus notes that this was not only Polycarp's practice, but that this was the practice of John the disple and the other apostles that Polycarp knew.

(From here.)

With a screenname like mine, how can I object to using the agreed-upon date. :)

Upvote 0

HuntingMan

Jan 4, 2006
✟9,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Soon Rev 22:11-12 said:
See the calendar for 2006, with the biblical new moon having been sighted on March 31st, which places the day of First Fruits, the biblical resurrection day, on Saturday, April 15th.

Protestants Declare Their Catholicity On Easter

http://biblelight.net/protestants_declare_their_catholicity.htm
Methinks your making a very looooooong leap there ;)

Its a convienient day because everyone else uses it. That hardly shows that Im subject to the Roman Pontiff. Nor would I allow myself to be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We should be celebrating the Resurrection every day. I don't think it really matters the specific date we, as a church, choose to do it.

HuntingMan said:
Its a convienient day because everyone else uses it. That hardly shows that Im subject to the Roman Pontiff. Nor would I allow myself to be.

Ditto. Regardless of when I celebrate what I have never been, am not now, nor will ever be subject to the Roman Pontiff. As HuntingMan states, nor would I allow myself to be.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
repentant said:
I did not understand that at all....I only thing I understood was...

The Council of Nicea also decided that the Christian Easter shall never precede or coincide with the Jewish Passover, but must always follow it, a rule still observed by the Eastern Orthodox Church, but not the Western Church.

Which makes complete sense considering the Last Supper was the Paasover, so how could Jesus have been crucified before? This was when it was celebrated through the early Church, until for some reason changed in the west.

I suppose it was changed when the West began using the Gregorian calendar. I believe the Julian in the east is more in line with the Jewish calendar.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.