I have a W
Jan 2, 2013
Mississippi
✟17,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What would you do if you had a child born a certain sex who insisted on believing they were another?

Like a girl born with all girl parts who believed she was a boy and thus wanted to be dressed and act like a boy in every way?

Would you cater to this or help them in another way like with counseling?

I've heard of them and seen them before what's the general opinion? What does the Church teach?

Is being transgendered a mental illness?

I have seen some of these kids whose parents cater to them wanting to dress like in girls clothes or boys clothes and all that and I wonder "what happens when puberty hits?"

These kids might not have it hard as little kids but when they grow boobs or beards and obvious male or female features its gonna make life hard. What are the parents going to do?

I don't think catering to this is a healthy approach. I would assume taking the kids to therapy and helping them understand what they have and why it is beautiful would be the best approach. But all of my kids are normal healthy minded children so I can't say how people should react to children with a mental disorder.

Last edited:

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,142,872.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that in some cases babies are born with physiological anomalies which make them transgender--vestigial body parts of the other sex, etc. Those are obviously the most heartbreaking.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Hermaphroditism.aspx

In cases that seem purely psychological, I think that I would work with counselors at the time the situation became apparent, and rely on the best medical, psychological and spiritual advice I could find.

Upvote 0

cathoaholicliz

I have a W
Jan 2, 2013
Mississippi
✟17,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that in some cases babies are born with physiological anomalies which make them transgender--vestigial body parts of the other sex, etc. Those are obviously the most heartbreaking.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Hermaphroditism.aspx

In cases that seem purely psychological, I think that I would work with counselors at the time the situation became apparent, and rely on the best medical, psychological and spiritual advice I could find.

I appreciate this response:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

jellio

Jul 27, 2012
yorkshire
✟15,220.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I think I would say that the body is a girl but that if the child wants we can buy some nice casual boy type clothes. I would be keen not to over react but to care and if the girl that thinks he is a boy develops then medical help may be needed. It may just be harmless. Lots of girls grow up as tom boys. I was one of them I am not transgender in the scene of wanting boys bits. I am not gay. I still sometimes dress in boys clothes, and I have a binder to flatten my chest. I also dress in very nice female clothes and I sometimes wear make up.i love girly clothes. I had two brothers and no sisters. So with children you never know and with lots of support a child will discover. All children need love and understanding.

Upvote 0

cathoaholicliz

I have a W
Jan 2, 2013
Mississippi
✟17,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't like what I saw on Tyra Banks (a really old episode from way back). I really think the mothers were exploiting their children.

This 6 year old girl thought she liked boys clothes better. Not once did the girl say "I think I'm a boy" She said "I like boys clothes. I don't like girls stuff at all not at all"

I was like that at 6. I hated my hair, preferred it short so mom wouldn't mess with it, I preferred boy toys, trucks, cars and guns. I even liked wearing boys clothes. ETC But I grew up to be a completely healthy woman. They should leave their kids alone and stop forcing an agenda on their children. IMO But in general if these children do exist what do we do to help our own kids if these thoughts come up? If my son said he was a girl I wouldn't know what to do right off but my first instinct is counseling.

But I am so glad I never had to be put on a talk show and be asked ridiculous questions about "How do you feel being transgendered?" The little girl obviously was embarrassed when they sat a transgendered boy next to her who was wearing tights and a dress. She didn't even want to talk to that boy. They were like "This is Josie do you have anything to say to her?"
And t he girl dressed like a boy says "No..." And is totally freaked out. On top of that the little girl didn't even seem to understand what she was doing there. She never directly answered Tyra about anything. She never said "I am a boy" She kept saying "I like boys stuff" LOTS of little girls prefer boys stuff.

I'd like to applaud the mothers of these kids of doing such a wonderful job of exploiting and confusing their children in front of the entire nation.

I really thing the boy dressed like a girl fulfills the mother's fantasy of having a daughter to play dress up with.

Upvote 0

catholicbybirth

St. Louis, pray for me.
Aug 11, 2012
Western Kentucky
✟17,029.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
On a side note...

Why is it ok for girls to dress like boys, but not ok for boys to dress like girls?

Because the girls who dress like boys, are not wearing suits and ties, not wearing boy's dress shoes.

Boys who wear girls clothes are wearing dresses, or at least skirts. They possibly have girls dress shoes on, and even girls tights, or panty hose.

IOW, the girls who wear boys clothes are not doing it to stand out and say, "look at me". The boys who wear girl clothes, though they could wear girls jeans, and girl t-shirts, don't. They are trying to stand out.

Janice

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
catholicbybirth said:
Because the girls who dress like boys, are not wearing suits and ties, not wearing boy's dress shoes.

Boys who wear girls clothes are wearing dresses, or at least skirts. They possibly have girls dress shoes on, and even girls tights, or panty hose.

IOW, the girls who wear boys clothes are not doing it to stand out and say, "look at me". The boys who wear girl clothes, though they could wear girls jeans, and girl t-shirts, don't. They are trying to stand out.

Janice

So it's just the standing out that's the problem?

100 years ago, all women wore dresses or skirts. Pants were a big no-no. Now pants are normal on women. If enough men start wearing dresses, will it then be ok?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟72,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Hmmm......
Annex%20-%20Dietrich,%20Marlene%20%28Seven%20Sinners%29_02.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's also a functional thing...sports specific clothing is fairly genderless ( with the exception perhaps of beach volleyball). A bit of color or a graphic may give a clue but a girl that wants to race bikes, play basketball or ski the grand slalom is gonna dress just like the boys.

I'm a girl and have a closet full of shoes for special occasions to prove it. Most days though, my attire isn't particularly feminine. It's fun to dress up, but snow boots, jeans, a polo shirt and some sort of pullover is my typical daily attire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Kids can have a lot of weird fads. Sometimes it is best to go along with them, other times it is not. It is hard to say what to do in a situation without more information.

I refused to wear girls clothes for a while as I wanted to be a boy. It was not a big deal.

I think if someone really has a more serious issue, saying they cannot wear clothes of the opposite sex is probably not going to change things in any case. Obviously clothes are not the real issue.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think the idea that there is a split between "sex and gender" is an odd belief
I think we should treat people as individuals and not get so hung up on labels

one way to do that is that we should be more flexible on gender norms

but I do not think we should do away with gender norms all together.

if a little boy wants to wear a dress, his parents should sit him down and explain to him that little boys do not wear dresses

Upvote 0