Jul 7, 2007
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm not sure if it's a person's prayer language, or if it's the "unknown tongue", but.. I got baptized by the holy spirit about a week ago, my friend who prays in tongues led me in prayer, and it was a powerful experience.

She says that she's pretty sure I have tongues now because she felt it [forgot what she said...] but I'm not sure how to speak it. I want to pray in tongues so I can feel closer to God when I pray. I want to hear His voice. I don't know, I want to get closer to Him.
What should I do?

IKTCA

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2003
✟18,959.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
.............................................. I want to pray in tongues so I can feel closer to God when I pray. I want to hear His voice. I don't know, I want to get closer to Him. What should I do?
I understand your anxiousness. Why don't you say so to the Lord? The Good Lord will let you experience Him and feel Him closer in time. But there is one thing that you can do right away without waiting for his reply. It is to increase your devotion. Increase your Bible reading and prayer. It will expedite the Lord's time to grant your request.

Rupert

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if it's a person's prayer language, or if it's the "unknown tongue", but.. I got baptized by the holy spirit about a week ago, my friend who prays in tongues led me in prayer, and it was a powerful experience.

She says that she's pretty sure I have tongues now because she felt it [forgot what she said...] but I'm not sure how to speak it. I want to pray in tongues so I can feel closer to God when I pray. I want to hear His voice. I don't know, I want to get closer to Him.
What should I do?

God is ready to give it to you...everything you want...you just have to believe it and then receive it.

You can check out this website I put together...it has many testimonies of people from here on CF and their experiences with the baptism of the Holy Spirit...maybe it can help.

http://www.cloventonguesoffire.com

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

What should I do?

May God bless you! What a sweet, willing spirit you have!

Sometimes tongues doesn't come right away. Keep seeking and asking for it, and just open your mouth and speak---it will come.

I know--I was anxious as to why God didn't give it right away, but I found that when I finally received it, it was the right time, for the hours before, I found myself being poured out of all my pride and reservations and fear, so that when I asked again, and opened my mouth in faith--it was there!

It took years, I am ashamed to say! I am sure that it won't take that long for you, as you seem to have those around you who will help you seek it. I didn't have that support.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

What should I do?

If you desire Spiritual Gifts then HE will give you your desires!

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Speaking in tongues is done at the believers will.

One can speak in tongues anytime one wants to.

The unction to speak and the words come from The Holy Spirit.

The voice comes from us. As we yield and give voice the words will come.

Tell ya what though. The first time I did it I felt sort of silly. Wasn't used to doing it.
I knew that it was for me, so did not let a silly feeling stop me from doing what God had for me. After a little bit the silly feeling went away and I spoke fluently.

You will too.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
“Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way (the way of LOVE).” (1 Cor. 12:27-31)

“Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.” (1 Cor. 14:1)

Be very wary, as Spiritual Gifts are DESIRED, and through LOVE.

I don’t wish to appear negative, but far too many people are pushing tongues onto new Christians without really realising the TRUTH in regards to “speaking with tongues”.

Desire and love are the essence of Spiritual Gifts.

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.” (1 Cor. 13:1-3)

Upvote 0

Prizm

Oct 25, 2008
✟8,052.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I don't know, I want to get closer to Him.
What should I do?

Keep pressing in. You may well be filled with the Holy Spirit, but need to learn to speak in tongues. It's not going to come out while you speak English though - we can't speak two languages at the same time.
Next time you're in prayer try speaking a syllable or making a sound with your voice that is not an english word. Praise God with the sound of your voice, not with English words. This was one of the keys to me speaking in tongues. I kept hearing pastors telling those who want the baptism to start praising God and it will come - but this would cause me to be too busy speaking English to speak in tongues!

Once I sounded a syllable and started making sound with my voice, the Holy Spirit started flowing and more syllables came out and all of a sudden I was speaking in tongues. And I didn't have to memorize any of it. The next morning I completely forgot what it sounded like, but once I opened my mouth to speak in tongues, there it was, exactly the same as the night before.

I learned this from reading Don Basham's book Spiritual Power. An excellent little book on receiving the Holy Spirit. Many people I know were filled while reading this anointed book.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.