✟70,310.00
Country
China
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IN MEMORY OF TODD BEAMER

“Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith…Hebrews 13:7.”

“I don't think we're going to get out of this thing. I'm going to have to go out on faith.” It was the voice of Todd Beamer, the passenger – and Wheaton College graduate -- who said “Let's roll” as he led the charge against the terrorists who had hijacked United Flight 93, which crashed in the Pennsylvania countryside twenty-one years ago on September 11th.

The world must never forget how brave Beamer and his fellow passengers were on September 11, 2001. We learned more fully after that heroic day what buttressed that bravery: Faith in Jesus Christ. Todd died as he lived, a faithful evangelical believer. In an article titled “The Real Story of Flight 93,” Newsweek revealed gripping details from the actual transcripts of the recovered cockpit voice recorder. “Todd had been afraid,” Newsweek relates. “More than once, he cried out for his Savior.”

After passengers were herded to the back of the jet, Beamer called the GTE Customer Center in Oakbrook, Illinois. He told supervisor Lisa Jefferson about the hijacking. The passengers were planning to jump the terrorists, he said. And then he asked her to pray with him. As Newsweek relates, Beamer kept a Lord's Prayer bookmark in his Tom Clancy novel, but he didn't need any prompting. He began to recite what was already in his heart, and Jefferson joined him: “Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.”

As they finished, Beamer added, “Jesus, help me.” And then, Beamer and his fellow passengers prayed a prayer that has comforted millions down through the centuries -- the prayer that David wrote in a time of great anguish: “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want --- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.”

And then the famous last words: “Are you guys ready? Let's roll.” We know from the cockpit voice recorder that Beamer and other passengers wrestled with the hijackers and forced the plane to crash into the ground, killing them but foiling what was believed to have been the hijackers' plan to fly Flight 93 into the Capitol or the White House.

The Bible speaks of such people as Todd Beamer in Hebrews 13:7: “Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.” Little did Todd Beamer know twenty-one years ago, that he was speaking the Word of God to millions and that his conduct along with the other brave passengers on that plane would serve as an example of faith others could emulate. Todd was just a man with feet of clay; a sinner like you and me saved by the grace of God. He loved His Lord, loved his life, loved his wife, and loved his family. Todd was simply trying to right a wrong situation in which he found himself on that tragic day; that day that changed America forever.

The Apostle Paul says, “Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.” (Philippians 3:17) So often those examples the Bible speaks of are not pastors or teachers or renowned spiritual leaders but ordinary people through whom God does extraordinary things. Todd Beamer wasn’t looking to be a hero that day or a model of faith others would grow to admire. He wanted to prevent further evil from occurring and to make sure his family knew he loved them. Yet, on this 21st anniversary of 9/11, the leadership of Todd and the other brave passengers of Flight 93 continue to inspire many to give their life to Jesus Christ, their service to our country, and their hearts to the walk of faith by which those who possess it overcome the world. (1 John 5:4)

The writer of Proverbs 14:32 tells us: “The wicked is thrust down by his wrongdoing, but the righteous has a refuge when he dies.” (Proverbs 14:32) Such was the case of what happened that day on Flight 93. We stop to remember and join in giving thanks to the Todd Beamers in the world and place our faith and trust in the words of The Holy Scriptures which assure us: “But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:37-39)