Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Semidouble

PRAYER BEFORE OFFICE
Open thou, O Lord, my mouth to bless thy holy Name; cleanse also my heart from all vain, evil, and wandering thoughts; enlighten my understanding; enkindle my affections; that I may say this Office worthily, with attention and devotion, and so be meet to be heard in the presence of thy divine Majesty. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord, in union with that divine intention wherewith thou thyself on earth didst render thy praises to God, I desire to offer these Hours (or this Hour) unto thee.

MATINS
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee : Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners ; Now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth : And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord : Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, Born of the Virgin Mary : Suffered under Pontius Pilate, Was crucified, dead, and buried : He descended into hell ; The third day he rose again from the dead : He ascended into heaven, And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty : From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost : The holy Catholic Church : The Communion of Saints : The Forgiveness of sins : The Resurrection of the body : And the Life everlasting. Amen.

V. O Lord, + open thou my lips. R. And my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
V.
O God,
† make speed to save me. R. O Lord, † make haste to help me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Alleluia.

The Lord, the King of Confessors, * O come, let us worship.
Psalm 94. Venite, exsultemus Domino.
O come, let us sing unto the Lord ; let us heartily rejoice in the strength of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving ; and shew ourselves glad in him with psalms.
For the Lord is a great God ; and a great King above all gods: For the Lord will not cast off his people: In his hand are all the corners of the earth, and the strength of the hills is his also.
O come, let us worship.
The sea is his and he made it ; and his hands prepared the dry land. O come, let us worship and fall down, and kneel before the Lord our Maker: For he is the Lord our God ; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.
Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness ; when your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works.
O come, let us worship.
Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their hearts, for they have not known my ways: unto whom I sware in my wrath, that they should not enter into my rest.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost: as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
O come, let us worship.

The Hymn
This the Confessor of the Lord, whose triumph
Now through the wide world celebrate the faithful,
On this his feast-day merited a blessed
Heavenly throne.

Fervent and holy, prudent in his converse,
Humbly and chastely here on earth he sojourned,
Curbing all passions, and in peace and meekness,
Constant abiding.

What though the grave now hold his hallowed relicks?
He, ever living, ever interceding,
Reigns with the Blessed, nor from us his brethren
Is he divided.

Whence we in chorus gladly do him honour,
Chanting his praises with devout affection,
That in his merits we may have our portion,
Ever and ever.

Glory and virtue, honour and salvation,
Be unto him that, sitting in the highest,
Governeth all things, Lord and God Almighty,
Trinity blessed. Amen.

FIRST NOCTURN
Ant. In God is my salvation.
Psalm 61. Nonne Deo?
Shall not my soul be subject to God? * for from him is my salvation.
2 For he is my God and my saviour: * he is my protector, I shall be moved no more.
How long do you rush in upon a man? * you all kill, as if you were thrusting down a leaning wall, and a tottering fence.
But they have thought to cast away my price; I ran in thirst: * they blessed with their mouth, but cursed with their heart.
But be thou, O my soul, subject to God: * for from him is my patience.
For he is my God and my saviour: * he is my helper, I shall not be moved.
In God is my salvation and my glory: * he is the God of my help, and my hope is in God.
Trust in him, all ye congregation of people: pour out your hearts before him. * God is our helper for ever.
But vain are the sons of men, the sons of men are liars in the balances: * that by vanity they may together deceive.
Trust not in iniquity, and cover not robberies: * if riches abound, set not your heart upon them.
God hath spoken once, these two things have I heard, that power belongeth to God, and mercy to thee, O Lord; * for thou wilt render to every man according to his works.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost:
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.
Ant. In God is my salvation and my glory: and my hope is in God.

Ant.
See the works of the Lord.
Psalm 65. i. Jubilate Deo
Shout with joy to God, all the earth, sing ye a psalm to his name; * give glory to his praise.
2 Say unto God, How terrible are thy works, O Lord! * in the multitude of thy strength thy enemies shall lie to thee.
Let all the earth adore thee, and sing to thee: * let it sing a psalm to thy name.
Come and see the works of God; * who is terrible in his counsels over the sons of men.
Who turneth the sea into dry land, in the river they shall pass on foot: * there shall we rejoice in him.
Who by his power ruleth for ever: his eyes behold the nations; * let not them that provoke him he exalted in themselves.
O bless our God, ye Gentiles: * and make the voice of his praise to be heard.
Who hath set my soul to live: * and hath not suffered my feet to be moved:
For thou, O God, hast proved us: * thou hast tried us by fire, as silver is tried.
Thou hast brought us into a net, thou hast laid afflictions on our back: * thou hast set men over our heads.
We have passed through fire and water, * and thou hast brought us out into a refreshment.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.
Ant. See the works of the Lord, and make the voice of his praise to be heard.

Ant.
Hear, all ye.
Psalm 65. ii. Introibo in domum
12 I will go into thy house with burnt offerings: * I will pay thee my vows, which my lips have uttered,
And my mouth hath spoken, * when I was in trouble.
I will offer up to thee holocausts full of marrow, with burnt offerings of rams: * I will offer to thee bullocks with goats.
Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will tell you * what great things he hath done for my soul.
I cried to him with my mouth: * and I extolled him with my tongue.
If I have looked at iniquity in my heart, * the Lord will not hear me.
Therefore hath God heard me, * and hath attended to the voice of my supplication.
Blessed be God, * who hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me.
Ant. Hear, all ye that fear God, what great things he hath done for my soul.

V.
The Lord hath not cast out my prayer. R. Nor turned his mercy from me.

Our Father secretly to
V. And lead us not into temptation. R. But deliver us from evil.

Absolution
Graciously hear, O Lord Jesus Christ, the prayers of thy servants, and have mercy upon us. Who, with the Father, and the Holy Ghost, livest and reignest, for ever and ever. R. Amen.
V.
Pray, Lord, give me thy blessing.
Bened.
May the Father Eternal bless us with a never-ending blessing. R. Amen.
Lesson i
Chap. 1, 1-2
Here beginneth the Book of Amos the Prophet
The words of Amos, who was among the herdmen of Tekoa, which he saw concerning Israel in the days of Uzziah king of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash king of Israel, two years before the earthquake. And he said, The LORD will roar from Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the habitations of the shepherds shall mourn, and the top of Carmel shall wither.
V. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us. R. Thanks be to God.
R.
I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne high and lifted up, and the whole earth was full of his glory : * And his train filled the temple. V. Above it stood the Seraphim : each one had six wings. And.

V.
Bened.
May the Son of God, the sole-begotten, mercifully bless and keep us. R. Amen.
Lesson ii
Chap. 1, 3-5
Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron: but I will send a fire into the house of Hazael, which shall devour the palaces of Benhadad. I will break also the bar of Damascus, and cut off the inhabitant from the plain of Aven, and him that holdeth the sceptre from the house of Eden: and the people of Syria shall go into captivity unto Kir, saith the LORD.
R.
Look down, O Lord, from the dwelling place of thine holiness, and take thought for us : O my God, incline thine ear, and hear : * Open thine eyes, and behold our desolation. V. Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock. Open.

V.
Bened.
May the grace of the Holy Ghost all our heart and mind enlighten. R. Amen.
Lesson iii
Chap. 1, 6-8
Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Gaza, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they carried away captive the whole captivity, to deliver them up to Edom: but I will send a fire on the wall of Gaza, which shall devour the palaces thereof: and I will cut off the inhabitant from Ashdod, and him that holdeth the sceptre from Ashkelon, and I will turn mine hand against Ekron: and the remnant of the Philistines shall perish, saith the Lord GOD.
R.
Consider, O Lord, how that the city sitteth solitary that was full of riches ; how is she become as a widow, she that was great among the nations ; * She hath none to comfort her, save thee, O our God. V. She weepeth sore in the night, and her tears are on her cheeks. She. Glory. She.

SECOND NOCTURN
Ant. Let God arise.
Psalm 67. i. Exsurgat Deus
Let God arise, † and let his enemies be scattered: * †† and let them that hate him flee from before his face.
2 As smoke vanisheth, so let them vanish away: * as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
And let the just feast, and rejoice before God: * and be delighted with gladness.
4 Sing ye to God, sing a psalm to his name, make a way for him who ascendeth upon the west: * (all bow) the Lord is his name.
Rejoice ye before him: * but the wicked shall be troubled at his presence, who is the father of orphans, and the judge of widows.
God in his holy place: * God who maketh men of one manner to dwell in a house:
7 Who bringeth out them that were bound in strength; * in like manner them that provoke, that dwell in sepulchres.
O God, when thou didst go forth in the sight of thy people, * when thou didst pass through the desert:
The earth was moved, and the heavens dropped at the presence of the God of Sinai, * at the presence of the God of Israel.
Thou shalt set aside for thy inheritance a free rain, O God: * and it was weakened, but thou hast made it perfect.
In it shall thy animals dwell; * in thy sweetness, O God, thou hast provided for the poor.
Ant. Let God arise, and let his enemies be scattered.

Ant.
Our God.
Psalm 67. ii. Dominus dabit
12 The Lord shall give the word to them that preach good tidings * with great power.
The king of powers is of the beloved, of the beloved; * and the beauty of the house shall divide spoils.
If you sleep among the midst of lots, you shall be as the wings of a dove covered with silver, * and the hinder parts of her back with the paleness of gold.
When he that is in heaven appointeth kings over her, they shall be whited with snow in Selmon. * The mountain of God is a fat mountain.
A curdled mountain, a fat mountain. * Why suspect, ye curdled mountains?
A mountain in which God is well pleased to dwell: * for there the Lord shall dwell unto the end.
The chariot of God is attended by ten thousands; thousands of them that rejoice: * the Lord is among them in Sina, in the holy place.
Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive; * thou hast received gifts in men.
20 Yea for those also that do not believe, the dwelling of the Lord God.
Blessed be the Lord day by day: * the God of our salvation will make our journey prosperous to us.
Our God is the God of salvation: * and of the Lord, of the Lord are the issues from death.
But God shall break the heads of his enemies: * the hairy crown of them that walk on in their sins.
The Lord said: I will turn them from Basan, * I will turn them into the depth of the sea:
That thy foot may be dipped in the blood of thy enemies; * the tongue of thy dogs be red with the same.
Ant. Our God, is the God of salvation: and of the Lord are the issues from death.

Ant.
In the churches.
Psalm 67. iii. Viderunt ingressus
26 They have seen thy goings, O God, * the goings of my God: of my king who is in his sanctuary.
Princes went before joined with singers, * in the midst of young damsels playing on timbrels.
In the churches bless ye God the Lord, * from the fountains of Israel.
There is Benjamin a youth, * in ecstasy of mind.
30 The princes of Juda are their leaders: * the princes of Zabulon, the princes of Nephthali.
Command thy strength, O God: * confirm, O God, what thou hast wrought in us.
From thy temple in Jerusalem, * kings shall offer presents to thee.
Rebuke the wild beasts of the reeds, the congregation of bulls with the kine of the people; * who seek to exclude them who are tried with silver.
Scatter thou the nations that delight in wars: ambassadors shall come out of Egypt: * Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hands to God.
Sing to God, ye kingdoms of the earth: * sing ye to the Lord.
Sing ye to God, who mounteth above the heaven of heavens, * to the east.
Behold he will give to his voice the voice of power: give ye glory to God for Israel, * his magnificence, and his power is in the clouds.
God is wonderful in his saints: the God of Israel is he who will give power and strength to his people. * Blessed be God.
Ant. In the churches bless ye the Lord God.

V.
O God, wonderful art thou in thy holy places. R. Even the God of Israel, he will give strength and power unto his people.

Our Father secretly to

Absolution
May his loving-kindness and mercy assist us. Who, with the Father, and the Holy Ghost, liveth and reigneth, for ever and ever. R. Amen.
V.
Bened.
May God the Father Almighty shew us his mercy and pity. R. Amen.
Lesson iv
Gregory, Archishop of Neocaesarea in Pontus, is famous indeed for his holiness and his learning, but much more so on account of the signs and wonders which he wrought, the number and character of which were so spectacular thath they have gotten him the name Thaumaturgus, or Wonderworker. Holy Basil compareth him with Moses, with the Prophets, and with the Apostles, and testifieth that by his prayers he moved to another place a mountain that stood in the way of the building of a church. Moreover, he dried up a marsh, which was the cause of strife between two brothers. Also, when the River Lycus overflowed and wasted the fields, he set his staff on the bank, which stick forthwith grew into a green tree, and confined the stream within its bed, so that it never more passed that place again.
R.
I have found David my servant, with my holy oil have I anointed him. * My hand shall hold him fast. V. The enemy shall not be able to do him violence ; the son of wickedness shall not hurt him. My.

V.
Bened.
May Christ bestow upon us the joys of life eternal. R. Amen.
Lesson v
Gregory exorcized devils frequently, either from heathen idols or from the bodies of men. He wrought many other miracles which brought countless numbers to the faith of Jesus Christ. He had the gift of prophecy also and foretold things to come. When he was about to depart from this life he asked how many infidels still remained in the city of Neocaesarea. His attendants told him there were but seventeen. Hearing this he gave God thanks, and said : Just so many were the faithful when I took the Bishoprick. He wrote many books, whereby, as well as by his wonders, he hath enlightened the Church of God.
R.
I have laid help upon one that is mighty, I have exalted one chosen out of the people. * My hand shall hold him fast. V. I have found David, my servant, with my holy oil have I anointed him. My.

V.
Bened.
May God enkindle in our hearts the fire of his holy love. R. Amen.
Lesson vi
The Lesson is taken from a Sermon by St. Maximus the Bishop
Homilia 59, quæ est 2 de S. Eusebio
We may safely extol the merits of the blessed Father Gregory for he is now secure ; he who, manfully handling the rudder of faith, hath now cast the anchor of hope in a snug harbour, hath brought his ship, laden with heavenly riches and eternal rewards, to the shore for which he longed. For a long time he opposed the shield of the fear of God unflinchingly against all enemies until the victory was won. For what was the course of his life, but one long conflict with a watchful foe?
R.
This is he who wrought mighty deeds and valiant in the sight of God, and all the earth is filled with his doctrine: * May his intercession avail for the sins of all the people. V. He was a man who despised the life of the world and attained unto the kingdom of heaven. May. Glory. May.

THIRD NOCTURN
Ant. Save me.
Psalm 68. i. Salvum me fac
Save me, † O God: * for the waters are come in even unto my soul. ††
2 I stick fast in the mire of the deep: * and there is no sure standing.
3 I am come into the depth of the sea: * and a tempest hath overwhelmed me.
I have laboured with crying; my jaws are become hoarse: * my eyes have failed, whilst I hope in my God.
They are multiplied above the hairs of my head, * who hate me without cause.
6 My enemies are grown strong who have wrongfully persecuted me: * then did I pay that which I took not away.
O God, thou knowest my foolishness; * and my offences are not hidden from thee:
Let not them be ashamed for me, who look for thee, O Lord, * the Lord of hosts.
9 Let them not be confounded on my account, * who seek thee, O God of Israel.
Because for thy sake I have borne reproach; * shame hath covered my face.
I am become a stranger to my brethren, * and an alien to the sons of my mother.
For the zeal of thy house hath eaten me up: * and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.
And I covered my soul in fasting: * and it was made a reproach to me.
And I made haircloth my garment: * and I became a byword to them.
They that sat in the gate spoke against me: * and they that drank wine made me their song.
But as for me, my prayer is to thee, O Lord; * for the time of thy good pleasure, O God.
Ant. Save me, O God, for the waters are come in, even unto my soul.

Ant.
Save me.
Psalm 68. ii. In multitudine
17 In the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation.
Draw me out of the mire, that I may not stick fast: * deliver me from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.
Let not the tempest of water drown me, nor the deep swallow me up: * and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.
Hear me, O Lord, for thy mercy is kind; * look upon me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.
And turn not away thy face from thy servant: * for I am in trouble, hear me speedily.
Attend to my soul, and deliver it: * save me because of my enemies.
Thou knowest my reproach, and my confusion, * and my shame.
In thy sight are all they that afflict me; * my heart hath expected reproach and misery.
25 And I looked for one that would grieve together with me, but there was none: * and for one that would comfort me, and I found none.
And they gave me gall for my food, * and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
Let their table become as a snare before them, * and a recompense, and a stumblingblock.
Let their eyes be darkened that they see not; * and their back bend thou down always.
Pour out thy indignation upon them: * and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.
Let their habitation be made desolate: * and let there be none to dwell in their tabernacles.
Because they have persecuted him whom thou hast smitten; * and they have added to the grief of my wounds.
Add thou iniquity upon their iniquity: * and let them not come into thy justice.
Let them be blotted out of the book of the living; * and with the just let them not be written.
Ant. Save me because of my enemies, O Lord.

Ant.
Seek ye God.
Psalm 68. iii. Ego sum pauper
34 But I am poor and sorrowful: * thy salvation, O God, hath set me up.
I will praise the name of God with a canticle: * and I will magnify him with praise.
And it shall please God better than a young calf, * that bringeth forth horns and hoofs.
Let the poor see and rejoice: * seek ye God, and your soul shall live.
For the Lord hath heard the poor: * and hath not despised his prisoners.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him; * the sea, and every thing that creepeth therein.
For God will save Sion, * and the cities of Juda shall be built up.
41 And they shall dwell there, * and acquire it by inheritance.
And the seed of his servants shall possess it; * and they that love his name shall dwell therein. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost:
Ant. Seek ye God, and your soul shall live.

V.
I will praise the Name of God with a song. R. And magnify it with thanksgiving.

Our Father secretly to

Absolution
May the Lord Almighty and merciful break the bonds of our sins and set us free. R. Amen.
V.
Bened.
May the Gospel's holy lection be our safeguard and protection. R. Amen.
Lesson vii
Chap. 11, 22-24
The Lesson is taken from the Holy Gospel according to Mark
At that time : Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea ; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass ; he shall have whatsoever he saith. And so on, and that which followeth.
A Homily by St. Venerable Bede the Priest
Liber 3 Comment. in Marc. cap. 11
The heathen who have written evil things against the Church are apt to taunt the faithful with a lack of complete faith in God since they have never been able to remove mountains. The answer to be made to such as these is that not all things that have been done in the Church, have been written down, just as not all the things that have been done by Christ our Lord have been written down, as Scripture itself testifieth. It could have happened. A mountain could have been removed from its place and cast into the sea, had need of this arisen. Indeed, we read this is the thing that actually occurred through the prayers of the blessed Father Gregory, Bishop of Neocaesarea, in Pontus, a man extraordinary in virtue and merits. A mountain was moved back on the land the distance necessary to give proper space to the inhabitants of a certain city.
R.
The Lord loved him and adorned him ; he clothed him with a robe of glory : * And crowned him at the gates of Paradise. V. The Lord put upon him the breastplate of faith, and adorned him. And.

V.
Benediction 8:
May he whose feast day we are keeping, be our Advocate with God.
R.
Amen.
Lesson viii
Gregory wanted to build a church on a certain desirable spot, but he found the site too narrow. On one side it was bounded by a cliff which fell away into the sea, and on another side by a mountain. Gregory went to the place at night and on his bent knees reminded the Lord of his promise, that whoever would pray with faith could move mountains. When he returned in the morning he found that the mountain had been moved, leaving the exact space the builders required for the church. If one man could do this, another man of equal merit, could obtain from the Lord through faith that a mountain be moved, or if need be cast into the sea.
R.
Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning: * And be ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord when he will return from the wedding. V. Watch therefore, for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. And. Glory. And.

V.
Bened.
May the King of Angels give us fellowship with all the citizens of heaven. R. Amen.
Lesson ix
It is true that the term mountain is used metaphorically sometimes to signify the devil. Through pride the devil setteth himself against God and desireth to be be exalted like the Most High. The mountain is lifted from the earth and cast into the sea at the command of those who are strong in faith. Through the preaching of the saintly doctors the unclean spirit is driven from the hearts of those who are preordained to life and permitted to exercise the frenzy of his tyranny upon the turbulent and bitter minds of infidels.

TE DEUM
We praise thee, O God, * we acknowledge thee to be the Lord.
All the earth doth worship thee, * the Father everlasting.
To thee all Angels cry aloud, * the Heavens, and all the Powers therein.
To thee Cherubim and Seraphim * continually do cry.
Holy, Holy, Holy, * Lord God of Sabaoth;
Heaven and earth are full * of the Majesty of thy glory.
The glorious company of the Apostles * praise thee.
The goodly fellowship of the Prophets * praise thee.
The noble army of Martyrs * praise thee.
The holy Church throughout all the world * doth acknowledge thee;
The Father, * of an infinite Majesty.
Thine honourable, true, * and only Son;
Also the Holy Ghost, * the Comforter.
Thou art the King of Glory, * O Christ.
Thou art the everlasting * Son of the Father.
When thou tookest upon thee to deliver man, * thou didst not abhor the Virgin's womb.
When thou hadst overcome the sharpness of death, * thou didst open the Kingdom of Heaven to all believers.
Thou sittest at the right hand of God, * in the glory of the Father.
We believe that thou shalt come * to be our Judge.
We therefore pray thee, help thy servants, * whom thou hast redeemed with thy precious Blood.
Make them to be numbered with thy Saints, * in glory everlasting.
O Lord, save thy people, * and bless thine heritage.
Govern them, * and lift them up for ever.
Day by day * we magnify thee;
And we worship thy Name * ever, world without end.
Vouchsafe, O Lord, to keep us * this day without sin.
O Lord, have mercy upon us, * have mercy upon us.
O Lord, let thy mercy lighten upon us, * as our trust is in thee.
O Lord, in thee have I trusted, * let me never be confounded.

LAUDS
V. O God, † make speed to save me. R. O Lord, † make haste to help me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Alleluia.

Ant. Make a joyful noise.
Psalm 97. Cantate Domino
Sing ye to the Lord a new canticle: * because he hath done wonderful things.
2 His right hand hath wrought for him salvation, * and his arm is holy.
The Lord hath made known his salvation: * he hath revealed his justice in the sight of the Gentiles.
He hath remembered his mercy * and his truth toward the house of Israel.
5 All the ends of the earth have seen * the salvation of our God.
Sing joyfully to God, all the earth; * make melody, rejoice and sing.
Sing praise to the Lord on the harp, on the harp, and with the voice of a psalm: * with long trumpets, and sound of comet.
Make a joyful noise before the Lord our king: * let the sea be moved and the fulness thereof: the world end they that dwell therein.
The rivers shall clap their hands, the mountains shall rejoice together at the presence of the Lord: * because he cometh to judge the earth.
He shall judge the world with justice, * and the people with equity.
Ant. Make a joyful noise before the Lord our King.

Ant.
Lord.
Psalm 89. Domine, refugium
Lord, † thou hast been our refuge * †† from generation to generation.
2 Before the mountains were made, or the earth and the world was formed; * from eternity and to eternity thou art God.
Turn not man away to be brought low: * and thou hast said: Be converted, O ye sons of men.
For a thousand years in thy sight * are as yesterday, which is past.
And as a watch in the night, * things that are counted nothing, shall their years be.
In the morning man shall grow up like grass; in the morning he shall flourish and pass away: * in the evening he shall fall, grow dry, and wither.
For in thy wrath we have fainted away: * and are troubled in thy indignation.
Thou hast set our iniquities before thy eyes: * our life in the light of thy countenance.
For all our days are spent; * and in thy wrath we have fainted away.
10 Our years shall be considered spider: * the days of our years in them are threescore and ten years.
But if in the strong they be fourscore years: * and what is more of them is labour and sorrow.12 For mildness is come upon us: * and we shall be corrected.
Who knoweth the power of thy anger, * and for thy fear can number thy wrath?
So make thy right hand known: * and men learned in heart, in wisdom.
Return, O Lord, how long? * and be entreated in favour of thy servants.
We are filled in the morning with thy mercy: * and we have rejoiced, and are delighted all our days.
We have rejoiced for the days in which thou hast humbled us: * for the years in which we have seen evils.
Look upon thy servants and upon their works: * and direct their children.
And let the brightness of the Lord our God be upon us: and direct thou the works of our hands over us; * yea, the work of our hands do thou direct.
Ant. Lord, thou hast been our refuge

Ant.
O Lord.
Psalm 35. Dixit injustus
The unjust hath said within himself, that he would sin : * there is no fear of God before his eyes.
2 For in his sight he hath done deceitfully, * that his iniquity may be found unto hatred.
The words of his mouth are iniquity and guile : * he would not understand that he might do well.
He hath devised iniquity on his bed, * he hath set himself on every way that is not good : but evil he hath not hated.
O Lord, thy mercy is in heaven, * and thy truth reacheth, even to the clouds.
Thy justice is as the mountains of God, * thy judgments are a great deep.
Men and beasts thou wilt preserve, O Lord : * O how hast thou multiplied thy mercy, O God!
8 But the children of men * shall put their trust under the covert of thy wings.
They shall be inebriated with the plenty of thy house; * and thou shalt make them drink of the torrent of thy pleasure.
For with thee is the fountain of life; and in thy light we shall see light.
Extend thy mercy to them that know thee, * and thy justice to them that are right in heart.
Let not the foot of pride come to me, * and let not the hand of the sinner move me.
There the workers of iniquity are fallen, * they are cast out, and could not stand.
Ant. O Lord, thy mercy is in heaven.

Ant.
My people.
Canticle of Jeremias the Prophet.
Audite verbum Domini
Jer. 31. 10-14
Hear the word of the Lord, O ye nations, * and declare it in the islands that are afar off,
2 and say: He that scattered Israel will gather him: * and he will keep him as the shepherd doth his flock.
For the Lord hath redeemed Jacob, * and delivered him out of the hand of one that was mightier than he.
And they shall come, and shall give praise in mount Sion: * and they shall flow together to the good things of the Lord,
for the corn, and wine, and oil, * and the increase of cattle and herds,
and their soul shall be as a watered garden, * and they shall be hungry no more.
Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, * the young men and old men together:
And I will turn their mourning into joy, * and will comfort them, and make them joyful after their sorrow.
And I will fill the soul of the priests with fatness: * and my people shall be filled with my good things.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost:
Ant. My people, saith the Lord, shall be filled with my good things.

Ant.
To our God.
Psalm 146. Laudate Dominum
Praise ye † the Lord, because psalm is good: * to our God be joyful and comely praise.
2 The Lord buildeth up Jerusalem: * he will gather together the dispersed of Israel.
Who healeth the broken of heart, * and bindeth up their bruises.
Who telleth the number of the stars: * and calleth them all by their names.
Great is our Lord, and great is his power: * and of his wisdom there is no number.
The Lord lifteth up the meek, * and bringeth the wicked down even to the ground.
Sing ye to the Lord with praise: * sing to our God upon the harp.
Who covereth the heaven with clouds, * and prepareth rain for the earth.
9 Who maketh grass to grow on the mountains, * and herbs for the service of men.
Who giveth to beasts their food: and * to the young ravens that call upon him.
He shall not delight in the strength of the horse: * nor take pleasure in the legs of a man.
The Lord taketh pleasure in them that fear him: * and in them that hope in his mercy.
Ant. To our God be joyful praise.

The Little Chapter Ecclus. 44. 16.Behold a great priest who in his days pleased the Lord, and was found righteous; and in the time of wrath he was taken in exchange for the world.
R. Thanks be to God.

The Hymn
Jesu, the world's Redeemer, hear!
Thou Crown of saintly Bishops, dear,
Accept with gentlest love today
The prayers and praises that we pay.

This meek Confessor of thy Name,
Today attained a glorious fame;
Whose yearly feast, in solemn state,
Thy faithful people celebrate.

Earth's fleeting joys he counted naught,
For higher, truer joys he sought;
And now with Angels round thy throne
Unfading treasures are his own.

Grant then that we, most gracious God,
May follow in the steps he trod:
And, aided by his prayers, may win
The grace of pardon for our sin.

Glory to thee, O Father, Lord,
And to thy sole-begotten Word,
With him thy Spirit; ever One
While everlasting ages run. Amen.
V. The Lord guided the righteous in right paths. R. And shewed him the kingdom of God.

Ant. on Bened:
Well done, good and faithful servant.
THE SONG OF ZACHARIAS Luke 1. 68-79
Blessed be
† the Lord God of Israel: * because he hath visited and wrought the redemption of his people.
69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation to us, * in the house of David his servant.
As he spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets, * who are from the beginning.
Salvation from our enemies * and from the hand of all that hate us.
To perform mercy to our fathers * and to remember his holy testament.
The oath, which he swore to Abraham our father, * that he would grant to us.
That being delivered from the hand of our enemies, * we may serve him without fear:
In holiness and justice before him, * all our days.
And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: * for thou shalt, go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways:
To give knowledge of salvation to his people, * unto the remission of their sins.
Through the bowels of the mercy of our God, * in which the Orient from on high hath visited us
To enlighten them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death: * to direct our feet into the way of peace.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
Ant. on Bened: Well done, good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things, saith the Lord.

V.
O Lord, hear my prayer. R. And let my cry come unto thee.
Let us pray.
Grant, we beseech thee, Almighty God : that the devout observance of this festival of blessed Gregory, thy Confessor and Bishop, may be profitable unto us for our advancement in all godliness, and for the attainment of everlasting salvation. Through.
Suffrage of the Saints
Ant.
May the blessed Mother of God, Mary the Virgin, and all the Saints, intercede for us with the same Lord our God.
V.
The Lord hath chosen to himself them that are godly. R. When they call upon the Lord he will hear them.
Let us pray.
Defend us, O Lord, we beseech thee, from all dangers both of body and soul : and at the intercession of the blessed and glorious Ever-Virgin Mary, Mother of God, of blessed Joseph, of thy holy Apostles Peter and Paul, of blessed N., and of all thy Saints, grant us thy saving health and peace ; that being defended from all adversities and all false doctrines, thy Church may serve thee in freedom and quietness. Through the same. R. Amen.In this Collect, at the letter N., is inserted the name of the Titular Saint of one's own Church, provided that the Church not be dedicated to a divine Person or Mystery of the Lord, or by the same rule the Office or Commemoration of the Vigil or Feast not be said, or his name be not pronounced in the same Collect of the Suffrage; and the names of the Holy Angels and St. John the Baptist, if they be the Titular Saint, are placed before the name of St. Joseph. And in all these cases the words atque beato N. are omitted.

V. O Lord, hear my prayer. R. And let my cry come unto thee.
V.
Let us bless the Lord. R. Thanks be to God.
May the souls
† of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. R. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy Kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. Amen.
V. The Lord
† give us his peace. R. And life everlasting. Amen.

FINAL ANTIPHON OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, hail, our life, our sweetness, and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve, to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy towards us; and after this our exile, shew unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.
V. Pray for us, most holy Mother of God. R. That we may be worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray.
Almighty, everlasting God, who by the co-operation of the Holy Ghost didst prepare the body and soul of the glorious Virgin-Mother Mary to become a dwelling-place meet for thy Son : grant that as we rejoice in her commemoration ; so by her fervent intercession we may be delivered from present evils and from everlasting death. Through the same Christ our Lord. R. Amen.
V.
May help divine
† be with us all, for ever abiding. R. Amen.

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
PRIME

Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee : Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners ; Now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth : And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord : Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, Born of the Virgin Mary : Suffered under Pontius Pilate, Was crucified, dead, and buried : He descended into hell ; The third day he rose again from the dead : He ascended into heaven, And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty : From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost : The holy Catholick Church : The Communion of Saints : The Forgiveness of sins : The Resurrection of the body : And the Life everlasting. Amen.

The Hymn Now doth the sun ascend the sky,
And wake creation with its ray,
Keep us from sin, O Lord most high,
Through all the actions of the day.

Curb thou for us the unruly tongue;
Teach us the way of peace to prize;
And close our eyes against the throng
Of earth's absorbing vanities.

Oh, may our hearts be pure within,
No cherish'd madness vex the soul;
May abstinence the flesh restrain,
And its rebellious pride control.

So when the evening stars appear,
And in their train the darkness bring;
May we, O Lord, with conscience clear,
Our praise to thy pure glory sing.

To God the Father, glory be,
And to his sole-begotten Son,
Glory, O Holy Ghost, to thee,
While everlasting ages run. Amen.

Ant. The Lord hath set me.
Psalm 22. Dominus regit me
The Lord ruleth me: and I shall want nothing. * He hath set me in a place of pasture.
2 He hath brought me up, on the water of refreshment: * he hath converted my soul.
3 He hath led me on the paths of justice, * for his own name's sake.
For though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear no evils, * for thou art with me.5 Thy rod and thy staff, they have comforted me. *
Thou hast prepared a table before me * against them that afflict me.7 Thou hast anointed my head with oil; * and my chalice which inebriateth me, how goodly is it!
And thy mercy will follow me * all the days of my life.9 And that I may dwell in the house of the Lord * unto length of days.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost:

Psalm 71. i. Deus, judicium tuum
Give to the king thy judgment, O God: * and to the king's son thy justice:
2 To judge thy people with justice, * and thy poor with judgment.
Let the mountains receive peace for the people: * and the hills justice.
He shall judge the poor of the people, and he shall save the children of the poor: * and he shall humble the oppressor.
And he shall continue with the sun, and before the moon, * throughout all generations.
He shall come down like rain upon the fleece; * and as showers falling gently upon the earth.
In his days shall justice spring up, and abundance of peace, * till the moon be taken sway.
And he shall rule from sea to sea, * and from the river unto the ends of the earth.

Psalm 71. ii. Coram illo
9 Before him the Ethiopians shall fall down: * and his enemies shall lick the ground.
The kings of Tharsis and the islands shall offer presents: * the kings of the Arabians and of Saba shall bring gifts:
And all kings of the earth shall adore him: * all nations shall serve him.
For he shall deliver the poor from the mighty: * and the needy that had no helper.
He shall spare the poor and needy: * and he shall save the souls of the poor.
He shall redeem their souls from usuries and iniquity: * and their names shall be honourable in his sight.
And he shall live, and to him shall be given of the gold of Arabia, for him they shall always adore: * they shall bless him all the day.
And there shall be a firmament on the earth on the tops of mountains, above Libanus shall the fruit thereof be exalted : * and they of the city shall flourish like the grass of the earth.
Let his name be blessed for evermore : * his name continueth before the sun.
18 And in him shall all the tribes of the earth be blessed: * all nations shall magnify him.
Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, * who alone doth wonderful things. 20 (All bow during the first half of this verse) And blessed be the name of his majesty for ever: * and the whole earth shall be filled with his majesty. So be it. So be it.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost:
Ant. The Lord hath set me in a place of pasture.

Chapter
I Tim. 1. 17.Unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
R. Thanks be to God.
V. O Christ, Son of the living God, * Have mercy upon us. R. O Christ, Son of the living God, * Have mercy upon us. V. Thou that sittest at the right hand of the Father. R. Have mercy upon us. V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. R. O Christ, Son of the living God, * Have mercy upon us.
V.
O Christ arise and help us. R. And deliver us for thy Name's sake.

The Preces
Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord have mercy.
Our Father, secretly until:
I believe in God secretly until:
V. The Resurrection of the body. R. And the Life
† everlasting. Amen.
V.
Unto thee have I cried, O Lord. R. And early shall my prayer come before thee.
V.
O let my mouth be filled with thy praise. R. That I may sing of thy glory and honour all the day long.
V.
O Lord, turn thy face from my sins. R. And put out all my misdeeds.
V.
Make me a clean heart, O God. R. And renew a right spirit within me.
V.
Cast me not away from thy presence. R. And take not thy Holy Spirit from me.
V.
O give me the comfort of thy help again. R. And stablish me with thy free Spirit.
V.
Our help
† is in the Name of the Lord. R. Who hath made heaven and earth.
I confess to Almighty God, to Blessed Mary Ever-Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and to all the Saints, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed, (they strike their breasts thrice, saying) through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault. Therefore I beseech blessed Mary ever-Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and all the Saints, to pray for me to the Lord our God.
Almighty God have mercy upon us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life. Amen.
The Almighty and merciful Lord grant us pardon,
† absolution, and remission of our sins. Amen.
V. Vouchsafe, O Lord, to keep us. R. This day without sin.
V.
O Lord, have mercy on us. R. Have mercy on us.
V.
O Lord, let thy mercy lighten upon us. R. As our trust is in thee.

V.
Let us pray.
O Lord, our heavenly Father, Almighty and everlasting God, who hast safely brought us to the beginning of this day : defend us in the same with thy mighty power ; and grant that this day we fall into no sin, neither run into any kind of danger ; but that all our doings may be ordered by thy governance, to do always that is righteous in thy sight. Through Jesus Christ, thy Son our Lord. Who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end. R. Amen.

V.
V.

The Fourteenth Kalends of December. (November 18)
The Sixteenth Day of the Moon.
At Rome, the dedication of the basilica of the holy apostles Peter and Paul. The former, having been enlarged, was on this day solemnly consecrated by Urban VIII; while the latter, more beautifully rebuilt after its total destruction by fire, was solemnly dedicated on the 10th of December by Pius IX, though the feast in commemoration of that event was transferred to this day.
At Antioch, the birthday of St. Romanus, martyr, in the time of Emperor Galerius. When the prefect Asclepiades attacked the Church and attempted to destroy it, Romanus exhorted the Christians to resist him. After being subjected to severe torments and the cutting out of his tongue (without which, however, he spake the praises of God), he was strangled in prison and crowned with glorious martyrdom. Before him suffered a young boy named Barula, who being asked by him whether it was better to worship one God or several gods, and having answered that we must believe in the one God whom the Christians adore, was scourged and beheaded.
Also at Antioch, the holy martyr Hesychius, a soldier. Hearing the order that anyone refusing to sacrifice to idols should lay aside his military belt, he immediately took off his. For this reason he was cast into the river with a large stone tied to his right hand.
On the same day, St. Oriculus and his companions, who suffered for the Catholic faith in the Vandal persecution.
At Mainz, St. Maximus, bishop, who suffered greatly at the hands of the Arians, and died a confessor in the time of Constantius.
At Tours in France, the passing of blessed Odo, abbot of Cluny.
At Antioch, St. Thomas, a monk honoured with an annual solemnity by the people of Antioch, for bringing the end of a plague by his prayers.
At Lucca in Tuscany, the translation of St. Frigidian, bishop and confessor.
And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins. R. Thanks be to God.

V. Right dear in the sight of the Lord. R. Is the death of his Saints.
May holy Mary, and all the Saints intercede for us to the Lord, that we may merit by him to be helped and saved, who liveth and reigneth for ever and ever.R.Amen.

V. O God, make speed to save me. R. O Lord, make haste to help me.
V.
O God, make speed to save me. R. O Lord, make haste to help me.
V.
O God, make speed to save me. R. O Lord, make haste to help me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord have mercy.
Our Father, secretly until:
V.
Shew thy servants thy work, O Lord, and their children thy glory. R. And the glorious majesty of the Lord our God be upon us ; prosper thou the work of our hands upon us, O prosper thou our handy-work.
V.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be ; world without end. Amen.
Let us pray.
Vouchsafe, we beseech thee, O Lord God, King of heaven and earth, to direct, sanctify, and govern, both our hearts and bodies, in the way of thy laws, and in the works of thy commandments : that through thy most mighty protection, O Saviour of the world, both here and for evermore, we may be preserved in body and in soul. Who livest and reignest for ever and ever. R. Amen.Pray, Lord, give me thy blessing.
Bened. May the Lord Almighty order our days and our doings in his peace. R. Amen.
The Little Chapter
Ecclus. 45. 19.He blessed him with glory, that he should execute the office of the priesthood, to bless the people in his Name, * and to offer sacrifices to the Lord, incense, and a sweet savour. But thou, O Lord, have mercy upon us.
R. Thanks be to God.

V. Our help † is in the Name of the Lord. R. Who hath made heaven and earth.
V.
Bless ye. R. God.
Benediction
May the Lord bless us
† and keep us from all evil, and bring us to life everlasting. And, may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. R. Amen.

Upvote 0

Paul S

Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
TERCE

The Hymn
Come Holy Ghost, who ever One
Art with the Father and the Son;
Come Holy Ghost, our souls possess
With thy full flood of holiness.

By ev'ry power, by heart and tongue,
By act and deed, thy praise be sung:
Inflame with perfect love each sense,
That others' souls may kindle thence.

Almighty Father, hear our cry,
Through Jesus Christ our Lord most high,
Who, with the Holy Ghost and thee,
Doth live and reign eternally. Amen.

Ant.
How good. †
Psalm 72. i. Quam bonus Israel!
How good † is God to Israel, * to them that are of a right heart!
2 But my feet were almost moved; * my steps had well nigh slipped.
Because I had a zeal on occasion of the wicked, * seeing the prosperity of sinners.
For there is no regard to their death, * nor is there strength in their stripes.
They are not in the labour of men: * neither shall they be scourged like other men.
Therefore pride hath held them fast: * they are covered with their iniquity and their wickedness.
Their iniquity hath come forth, as it were from fatness: * they have passed into the affection of the heart.
They have thought and spoken wickedness: * they have spoken iniquity on high.
They have set their mouth against heaven: * and their tongue hath passed through the earth.

Psalm 72. ii. Ideo convertetur
10 Therefore will my people return here * and full days shall be found in them.
And they said: How doth God know? * and is there knowledge in the most High?
Behold these are sinners; and yet abounding in the world * they have obtained riches.
And I said: Then have I in vain justified my heart, * and washed my hands among the innocent.
And I have been scourged all the day; * and my chastisement hath been in the mornings.
If I said: I will speak thus; * behold I should condemn the generation of thy children.
I studied that I might know this thing, * it is a labour in my sight:
Until I go into the sanctuary of God, * and understand concerning their last ends.

Psalm 72. iii. Verumtamen
18 But indeed for deceits thou hast put it to them: * when they were lifted up thou hast cast them down.
How are they brought to desolation? they have suddenly ceased to be: * they have perished by reason of their iniquity.
As the dream of them that awake, O Lord; * so in thy city thou shalt bring their image to nothing.
For my heart hath been inflamed, and my reins have been changed: * and I am brought to nothing, and I knew not.
I am become as a beast before thee: * and I am always with thee.
Thou hast held me by my right hand; and by thy will thou hast conducted me, * and with thy glory thou hast received me.
For what have I in heaven? * and besides thee what do I desire upon earth?
For thee my flesh and my heart hath fainted away: * thou art the God of my heart, and the God that is my portion for ever.
For behold they that go far from thee shall perish: * thou hast destroyed all them that are disloyal to thee.
But it is good for me to adhere to my God, * to put my hope in the Lord God:
28 That I may declare all thy praises, * in the gates of the daughter of Sion.Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost:
Ant. How good is God to Israel, * to them that are of a right heart!

The Little Chapter Ecclus. 44. 16.Behold a great priest who in his days pleased the Lord, and was found righteous; and in the time of wrath he was taken in exchange for the world.
R. Thanks be to God.
R. br.
The Lord loved him, * And adorned him. The. V. He clothed him with a robe of glory. And. Glory. The.
V.
The Lord chose him as a priest unto himself. R. To offer to him the Sacrifice of Praise.

V.
Let us pray.
Grant, we beseech thee, Almighty God, that, ever fixing our thoughts on reasonable things, we may both in word and in deed do what is pleasing to thee. Through.
Let us pray.
Grant, we beseech thee, Almighty God : that the devout observance of this festival of blessed Gregory, thy Confessor and Bishop, may be profitable unto us for our advancement in all godliness, and for the attainment of everlasting salvation. Through.

V.
V.
May the souls

Upvote 0

Paul S

Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
SEXT

The Hymn
O God of truth, O Lord of might,
Who order'st time and change aright,
Bright'ning the morn with golden gleams,
Kindling the noonday's fiery beams.

Extinguish thou each sinful fire,
And banish every ill desire:
And while thou keep'st the body whole,
Shed forth thy peace upon the soul.

Ant.
Remember.
Psalm 73. i. Ut quid Deus
O God, why hast thou cast us off unto the end: * why is thy wrath enkindled against the sheep of thy pasture?
2 Remember thy congregation, * which thou hast possessed from the beginning.
The sceptre of thy inheritance which thou hast redeemed: * mount Sion in which thou hast dwelt.
Lift up thy hands against their pride unto the end; * see what things the enemy hath done wickedly in the sanctuary.
And they that hate thee have made their boasts, * in the midst of thy solemnity.
They have set up their ensigns for signs, * and they knew not both in the going out and on the highest top.
As with axes in a wood of trees, they have cut down at once the gates thereof, * with axe and hatchet they have brought it down.
They have set fire to thy sanctuary: * they have defiled the dwelling place of thy name on the earth.
They said in their heart, the whole kindred of them together: * Let us abolish all the festival days of God from the land.
Our signs we have not seen, there is now no prophet: * and he will know us no more.

Psalm 73. ii. Usquequo, Deus?
How long, O God, shall the enemy reproach: * is the adversary to provoke thy name for ever?
Why dost thou turn away thy hand: and thy right hand * out of the midst of thy bosom for ever ?
But God is our king before ages: * he hath wrought salvation in the midst of the earth.
Thou by thy strength didst make the sea firm: * thou didst crush the heads of the dragons in the waters.
Thou hast broken the heads of the dragon: * thou hast given him to be meat for the people of the Ethiopians.
Thou hast broken up the fountains and the torrents: * thou hast dried up the Ethan rivers.
Thine is the day, and thine is the night: * thou hast made the morning light and the sun.
Thou hast made all the borders of the earth: * the summer and the spring were formed by thee.

Psalm 73. iii. Memor esto hujus
Remember this, the enemy hath reproached the Lord: * and a foolish people hath provoked thy name.
Deliver not up to beasts the souls that confess to thee: * and forget not to the end the souls of thy poor.
Have regard to thy covenant: * for they that are the obscure of the earth have been filled with dwellings of iniquity.
Let not the humble be turned away with confusion: * the poor and needy shall praise thy name.
Arise, O God, judge thy own cause: * remember thy reproaches with which the foolish man hath reproached thee all the day.
Forget not the voices of thy enemies: the * pride of them that hate thee ascendeth continually.
Ant. Remember thy congregation, O Lord, which thou hast possessed from the beginning.

The Little Chapter Ecclus. 44.20.There was none like unto him to keep the law of the Most High. Therefore by an oath the Lord assured him that he would increase him among his people.
R. Thanks be to God.
R. br.
The Lord chose him * As a priest unto himself. The. V. To offer to him the Sacrifice of Praise. As. Glory. The.
V.
Thou art a priest forever and ever. R. After the order of Melchisedech.

V.
Let us pray.

V.
V.
May the souls

Upvote 0

Paul S

Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
NONE

The Hymn
O God, the world's sustaining force,
Thyself unmov'd, all motion's source,
Who from the morn till ev'ning's ray
Through all its changes guid'st the day:

O grant us light at eventide,
That life may unimpair'd abide,
And that a holy death may be
The door of immortality.

Ant.
We will call upon.
Psalm 74. Confitebimur tibi
We will praise thee, O God: * we will praise, and we will call upon thy name.
2 We will relate thy wondrous works: * when I shall take a time, I will judge justices.
The earth is melted, and all that dwell therein: * I have established the pillars thereof.
I said to the wicked: Do not act wickedly: * and to the sinners: Lift not up the horn.
Lift not up your horn on high: * speak not iniquity against God.
For neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the desert hills: * for God is the judge.
One he putteth down, and another he lifteth up: * for in the hand of the Lord there is a cup of strong wine full of mixture.
And he hath poured it out from this to that: but the dregs thereof are not emptied: * all the sinners of the earth shall drink.
But I will declare for ever: * I will sing to the God of Jacob.
And I will break all the horns of sinners: * but the horns of the just shall be exalted.

Psalm 75. i. Notus in Judæa
In Judea God is known: * his name is great in Israel.
2 And his place is in peace: * and his abode in Sion:
There hath he broken the powers of bows, * the shield, the sword, and the battie.
Thou enlightenest wonderfully from the everlasting hills. * All the foolish of heart were troubled.
They have slept their sleep; * and all the men of riches have found nothing in their hands.
At thy rebuke, O God of Jacob, * they have all slumbered that mounted on horseback.

Psalm 75. ii. Tu terribilis es
Thou art terrible, and who shall resist thee? * from that time thy wrath.
Thou hast caused judgment to be heard from heaven: * the earth trembled and was still,
When God arose in judgment, * to save all the meek of the earth.
For the thought of man shall give praise to thee: * and the remainders of the thought shall keep holiday to thee.
Vow ye, and pay to the Lord your God: * all you that are round about him bring presents. To him that is terrible,
Even to him who taketh away the spirit of princes: * to the terrible with the kings of the earth.
Ant. We will call upon thy name, O Lord: we will relate thy wondrous works.

The Little Chapter
Ecclus. 45. 19.He blessed him with glory, that he should execute the office of the priesthood, to bless the people in his Name, * and to offer sacrifices to the Lord, incense, and a sweet savour.
R. Thanks be to God.
R. br.
Thou art a priest * Forever and ever. Thou. V. After the order of Melchisedech. Forever. Glory. Thou.
V.
The Lord guided the righteous in right paths. R. And shewed him the kingdom of God.

V.
Let us pray.

V.
V.
May the souls

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.