London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK this topic comes up again and again so time to deal with it head on.

Basic question of the OP is:
Is it right to kill your enemies?

The inspiration for the question was my fellow Christians TC-123's repeated Pacifist declarations on this board - If he or another raises his viewpoint in this OP I will rebut it from Christian scripture. However atheists, Muslims and others please feel free to chip in with your own viewpoints which I would also be interested to hear.

Sub questions to this OP include:
1) In what circumstances is it permissible to wage war and why? E.g. Never, just war, preventative war, holy crusade

2) Is political violence permissable against established authorities?

3) Can I kill in self defence?

4) Can I kill to save the life of another?

5) Should I be allowed to carry weopanry to defend myself and others.

6) Is vigilante justice ever permissable?

7) Is genocide ever OK?

TG123

Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK this topic comes up again and again so time to deal with it head on.

Basic question of the OP is:
Is it right to kill your enemies?

The inspiration for the question was my fellow Christians TC-123's repeated Pacifist declarations on this board - If he or another raises his viewpoint in this OP I will rebut it from Christian scripture. However atheists, Muslims and others please feel free to chip in with your own viewpoints which I would also be interested to hear.

Sub questions to this OP include:
1) In what circumstances is it permissible to wage war and why? E.g. Never, just war, preventative war, holy crusade

7) Is genocide ever OK?
Thanks for the challenge, I will respond. I stand by my views. Never for 1), and no to questions 2) to 7). The Bible does not allow a Christ follower to ever engage in war, all Scripture points to the contrary of any "just war" doctrine. Looking forward to reading your arguments though.

Now that you have called me out, I would like to ask you to respond to the following thread: http://www.christianforums.com/t7589283/ and to Ishraqiyun's idea that the US should be made to pay the same price the Taleban had for sheltering terrorists. Post #4. http://www.christianforums.com/t7589283/

I will be gone to a young adults Bible camp this weekend, will be away from my computer but look forward to reading and responding to your points. Take care and have a good weekend.

Upvote 0

TG123

Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This question was eettled by the Church long ago. Gor many centuries the "just war" doctrine has been taught.
In Luke 19:27 we are commanded to kill the enemies of Jesus.
What circa02 said. I would only add that the Just War theory was introduced centuries after Jesus died and was resurrected. It is unBiblical and unGodly. Like the Pope's supposed 'infallibility' doctrine.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the challenge, I will respond. I stand by my views. Never for 1), and no to questions 2) to 7). The Bible does not allow a Christ follower to ever engage in war, all Scripture points to the contrary of any "just war" doctrine. Looking forward to reading your arguments though.

Now that you have called me out, I would like to ask you to respond to the following thread: http://www.christianforums.com/t7589283/ and to Ishraqiyun's idea that the US should be made to pay the same price the Taleban had for sheltering terrorists. Post #4. http://www.christianforums.com/t7589283/

I will be gone to a young adults Bible camp this weekend, will be away from my computer but look forward to reading and responding to your points. Take care and have a good weekend.

The majority of the mainstream historic Christian church and Jews before them have held to the view that violence and killing are sometimes permissible. Prominent theologians/Christians like Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, CS Lewis, Francis Schaeffer and Billy Graham have all endorsed this view.

But the main argument from the Christian one has to be the biblical one.

1) THE NATURE OF GOD
A) "The Lord of hosts" one of many titles given to God is a distinctively military one.
B) God has an army. Jesus claimed he could have called 5 legions of angels to his defence were it necessary. We see this army deployed in defence of Elisha who revealed the host of fire to his associate also. An angel sent by the Lord executes hundreds of thousands of Egyptians at the passover. An angel destroys the Assyrian army before the gates of Jerusalem. Angels wage battles in defence of Israel e.g. Michael in Daniel. In the New Testament Kings are executed by angels. In Revelation angels carry out spectacular judgments and a war is waged in the heavenlies between Gods army and the devils.
C) God passes judgments on the wicked. The flood , the plagues of Egypt and the events of Revelation being three examples in Old and New Testaments.

2) JESUS IS GOD
A) As Col 1 v 15-17 makes clear Jesus is the God of all scriptures and not just the gospels. Thus he has an army, judges the wicked and is our military captain.
B) Those who believe that it was Jesus who visited Abraham with 2 angels before the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah will note that the angels carried out his instructions in extracting Lot and his daughters and then destroying the cities.
C) The judgments of Revelation must also be associated with Jesus.
D) Jesus takes a whip to the moneylenders in the temple

3) GOD/JESUS DOES NOT PROHIBIT KILLING
A) Exodus 20 v 13 - says Do not murder.
B) Jesus had only praise for the Roman centurions faith and no criticism for his job. (Math 8 v 10)
C) Jesus permitted his disciples to carry swords and indeed urged them to do so on one occasion.

D) John the baptist also does not condemn what soldiers do - Luke 3 v 14

4) GOD SANCTIONS KILLING
A) Innumerable OT examples - 1 Kings 18 v 40 , Joshua 8 v 1-29, Genesis 14
B) Hebrews 11 is a list of heroes of the faith from the OT and includes military examples
C) We are called to participate in heavenly warfare - Eph 6 v 12 and are in a continual war with our sinful natures James 4 v 1-2. As Jesus said I am not come to bring peace but a sword - Math 10 v 34.
D) As he says in Math 5 v 9 "Blessed are the peacemakers" - effective peacemaking is almost always accompanied by the threat or use of force rather than by appeasement.
E) God blesses earthly armies and soldiers that fulfill his purpose or which honour him. Gideons 300, David against Goliath or his countless other battles, Moses against the Amalekites, Nebuchadnezzars attack on Jerusalem in fufilment of the words of Jeremiah. As Romans 13 v 4 makes clear the power of the sword is given by God.

So render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars and to God the things that are Gods: Math 22 v 21

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟26,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What happened to resisting evil? Not seeking vengeance, because it is God's to seek? To submit as Christ submitted? He submitted to death without even raising his voice or getting angry. That is God in the flesh. We are called to be like that.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What happened to resisting evil? Not seeking vengeance, because it is God's to seek? To submit as Christ submitted? He submitted to death without even raising his voice or getting angry. That is God in the flesh. We are called to be like that.

Who said anything about hate or vengeance being any kind of motive for killing someone- You kill an evil doer as much for his own sake as for those you are trying to protect. Out of love you restrain him from further acts of evil which would be reckoned against him on judgment day. Sometimes the only way to do that is to put a bullet through their heads.

When people sue me (they do this quite a lot by the way- but I always win my cases) I pray for these people. Indeed in one case my lawyer was denigrating the person who was suing me and I told him to stop, told him that I prayed for this person but that in love I could say that they could not be allowed to get away with what they were attempting. Loving your enemies gives you a good perspective on them.

The best generals are those who never underestimate their enemies and indeed respect them. They never let blind hate or vengeance control their judgments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lean Forward

Cultural Christian
Jun 10, 2011
✟15,211.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He said to them, "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, 'Every man of you put his sword upon his thigh, and go back and forth from gate to gate in the camp, and kill every man his brother, and every man his friend, and every man his neighbor.'" Exodus 32:27

Upvote 0

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

Never

No it is not permissible.

No. You may incapacitate but not kill.

No. See three above.

Yes you may carry any possessions that you create or purchase, but you may not kill with them.

No.

7) Is genocide ever OK?

No.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Never

No it is not permissible.

No. You may incapacitate but not kill.

No. See three above.

Yes you may carry any possessions that you create or purchase, but you may not kill with them.

No.

7) Is genocide ever OK?

No.

OK this is about as Pacifist as you could get in your answers. Any chance of a rationale for this. e.g. not fighting against Hitler in WW2. Not shooting the guy who was just about to kill your wife and kids etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." Matthew 5:39

How do you kill people while still following the command not to resist evil people? Killing seems like it would be a very severe form of resistance.

It's true that the state / imperial church later rejected the pacifism of earlier Christianity and often referred to violence in the OT as evidence to support their position but I don't see it as being particularly "christian". More like something accepted despite being Christian and in opposition to the faith. More like a reversion to the inferior way that Jesus replaced. The teachings of Christ were too radical to be practical guides for the behavior of rulers (take no concern for the morrow, resist not evil, if someone steals you shirt give them your cloak as well, etc..) it was thought so it was re-created in a more acceptable form.

They thought the true teaching sounded nice but was too idealistic and down right suicidal. So the faith got a make over to in order to increase it usefulness to the authorities. The original forms was ok for people who left everything and lived in a religious commune (shared everything in common) or became a monk but it wasn't that attractive to Caesar.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This weird it's not letting me edit my post. I edit it, save the change, and then the original stays up there. If I hit edit again the I see the change though. Then I save it an it disappears again. Anyone else have this problem

Yes I had this problem on another thread while adding a URL. Someone changed the code?

Any way will respond later to your comments

Upvote 0