To become Lutheran is there some sort of RCIA class like Catholics?

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I personally need a church home that has liturgy like the Catholics and believes in the real presence of Jesus at Communion.

My old church had an Adult Inquirer's Class that the pastor set up for those interested in learning about what Lutheran's believe. He used the Bible throughout the class and it lasted one night a week for about 8 weeks (if I remember correctly). At the end of the classes those who attended were asked if they would like to become communal members and then an Adult Confirmation was done during one of the services to welcome them to the congregation.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My husband starts off by asking basic questions about a person's faith and beliefs, and depending on how they line up with Lutheran doctrine, that's how he sets how long the classes will take. We've had people in a class for a year and some for 8 weeks and some in between.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Shalom in Yeshua ! (Peace and Freedom from sin and form all the consequences of sin to all who receive Jesus) I was born and raised LCMS, went thru Lutheran grade school in north county st.louis, missouri, and Lutherans HS.
I was and am very glad for the training and education I received. I didn't know anything else(anything about other 'religions' or denominations) at the time, and didn't ever think about it as far as I can recall(about half century ago!)...
Later I was taught about Methodists, Baptists, Assembly of God, Pentacostal, Church of God 7th day, and rcc.
I can confidently with knowledge and experience say that LCMS as I was raised and worshipped God had nothing at all to do with the rcc or it's ways.
Other churches might have a little or a lot the same, but I saw quite a big difference in faith and practice and life and obedience to God's Word.
In other words, you could choose LCMS, or you could go to the rcc, but from what I lived and saw and was taught there's no way you could do both at the same time- in my experience and what I learned from Scripture they are incompatibly different.
(yes, I know some (maybe a lot) of even Lutheran churches have found a way to 'get along', but that was not in my time, and I don't see the changes as good in any way for the Lutherans that did change that way.).

I personally need a church home that has liturgy like the Catholics and believes in the real presence of Jesus at Communion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lupinus

May 28, 2007
SC
✟8,723.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As said, different individual churches will do it slightly differently. But I don't personally know of any that don't do some form of class.

At my church the Pastor does a, adult class that lasts 8-10 weeks, with each class lasting somewhere around an hour depending on questions and what not. Basically the first week being an introduction to the Lutheran church, one week for each part of the small catechism, and then a wrap up class. Occasionally longer if there are any specific subjects someone has a lot of questions on.

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My pastor I had in the springs, LCMS, varied. We met a few times one on one and discussed alot of lutheran doctrine and theology and I was confirmed. However usually he did a 12 week classroom catachism.

Upvote 0

Daniel Stinson

Feb 26, 2014
Coal Mountain, GA
Visit site
✟7,934.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our congregation periodically offers an Adult Catechumenate to bring in new members and our youth participate as Catechumen during their middle-school years before entering high-school. Between Catechesis, Adult Bible Study participation is required to be taken seriously for congregational membership, which enables participation in the Sacraments of Baptism and the Eucharist, Council stewardship, Elder stewardship, and various Board positions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums