Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
woobadooba said:
You have a good point.

I am currently struggling with the tithing issue. I agree that we ought to tithe, but if I were to tithe 10% of my income, I wouldn't be able to pay my bills.

I live in Ca, and my rent alone is $1500 a month. We are planning on getting a home, and with the exorbitant prices for homes($500,000 on average), and the property tax(1.8% = $9000 a year), it just doesn't seem to be possible to tithe 10%, since it will cost about $2300 a month just to own a home, and that doesn't even put the home owners insurance into the equation, which means it will be even more than that!

Times are tough! In OT times everyone worked together to help each other out. Today, I don't see that happening. So there was an advantage to living back then that, for the most part, isn't present today. It seems that everyone is indebted to someone else, and the interest rates are very high!
You believe God commands us to tithe, but you don't believe he will provide? It's easy for me to say that, but truth is, I don't tithe as I should.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
theseed said:
You believe God commands us to tithe, but you don't believe he will provide? It's easy for me to say that, but truth is, I don't tithe as I should.

It's not that I don't believe He will provide; but is my church going to pay my bills?

Should my family be homeless so that pastors all over the country whom we don't even know could live off our hard earned labor?

We need to be reasonable here. My family comes before the church.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
woobadooba said:
It's not that I don't believe He will provide; but is my church going to pay my bills?

Should my family be homeless so that pastors all over the country whom we don't even know could live off our hard earned labor?

Yes... reasonable in God's point of view. We need to look at our motives and how we are managing our money. Are possessions first in my life or God (Church)? Does the money put ourselves first before God? Do have large debts? How much are we spending that God thinks we are spending unwisely? Our stewardship of our money is an effective barometer of our spirituality. What we do with our money God gives us is a reflection of your thinking. As Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matthew 6:21). "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Colossians 3:17). Your local Church's financial income and expenditures do not determine the quality of her ministries. Quality is measured by the Christlike living of the church members. If Christ is reigning in us, we will be giving joyfully and generously. 2 Corinthians 9:7 says that Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. We all have to realize that a local church's accomplishments will depend upon members' spiritual condition. The church's financial health will be healthy if the people are submitting to the Holy Spirit, who will give them fruit.

If a family do not have debts and not spending foolishly that they are surviving paycheck to paycheck, God knows their hearts that they tried and understands that family comes first. But when He knows a family spending money unwisely, this is where He will search our hearts. In Proverbs 21:2 says, "People may think they are doing what is right, but the Lord examines the heart." (NLT) Everything belongs to God, who calls the church to live in faithful stewardship of all that God has entrusted to us, and to participate now in the rest and justice which God has promised.

"Yet true religion with contentment is great wealth. After all, we didn't bring anything with us when we came into the world, and we certainly cannot carry anything with us when we die. So, if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content." 1 Timothy 6:6-8 (NLT)

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JimfromOhio said:
Yes... reasonable in God's point of view. We need to look at our motives and how we are managing our money. Are possessions first in my life or God (Church)? Does the money put ourselves first before God? Do have large debts? How much are we spending that God thinks we are spending unwisely? Our stewardship of our money is an effective barometer of our spirituality. What we do with our money God gives us is a reflection of your thinking. As Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matthew 6:21). "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Colossians 3:17). Your local Church's financial income and expenditures do not determine the quality of her ministries. Quality is measured by the Christlike living of the church members. If Christ is reigning in us, we will be giving joyfully and generously. 2 Corinthians 9:7 says that Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. We all have to realize that a local church's accomplishments will depend upon members' spiritual condition. The church's financial health will be healthy if the people are submitting to the Holy Spirit, who will give them fruit.

If a family do not have debts and not spending foolishly that they are surviving paycheck to paycheck, God knows their hearts that they tried and understands that family comes first. But when He knows a family spending money unwisely, this is where He will search our hearts. In Proverbs 21:2 says, "People may think they are doing what is right, but the Lord examines the heart." (NLT) Everything belongs to God, who calls the church to live in faithful stewardship of all that God has entrusted to us, and to participate now in the rest and justice which God has promised.

This is a good post Jim. Thank you for your understanding.

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Miss Shelby said:
Before taxes.
The point of my OP is not to ask the question of before or after taxes (as so many seem to think here), but to get others to realize that we should examine our heart to see if we are asking because we are greedy and looking for a loop hole. I suppose that if we must ask this question, then maybe we are putting money before God in our life.

Upvote 0

seekthetruth909

Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
✟16,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Caliban said:

I thought Jesus came to fufill the law and not abolish it?

The Law is as set as it was then as my understanding sees it

You are right there is a scripture that says that Jesus came to fullfill the law but there are over 600 Old Testament laws so we would all be in trouble if we must still keep them all.

Some questions to ask.

Jesus came to fulfill the law not change it.
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.” [Written before the crucifixion of Christ]

If the law has not been abolished should we still practice all 603 Old Testament laws including tithing? What does the word “fulfill” imply in this context? Consider Ephesians 2:15 [written after the crucifixion of Christ] “By abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace.”

Matthew 5:17 and Ephesians 2:15 seem to contradict each other so we must search more scripture for clarification. Consider the following passages:

Galatians 3:25 “Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.”

2 Corinthians 3:6 “He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant–not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.”

Galatians 3:23 “Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed.”

Galatians 3:11 “Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.” [ Heb. 2:4]

Hebrews 8:7 “For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.”

Galatians 5:18 “But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.”

Galatians 2:21 “I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Galatians 3:2 “ I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?”

Hebrews 10:8 First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them” (although the law required them to be made).

Galatians 5:3 “Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.”

Galatians 3:10 “All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written:” “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

Romans 7:2-4 “Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another -- to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God."

What do the previous passages imply in regards to the Old Covenant laws?

If we follow one law are we then obligated to follow all the law?

Has the death and resurrection of Christ abolished all Old Testament commandments and regulations?

Pray for wisdom and draw your own conclusions.

I believe the life of Christ was the fullfillment of the law and his sacrifice was the abolishment of the law.If anyone has a better explaination of the above scriptures please reply.

God Bless

Upvote 0

seekthetruth909

Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
✟16,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
TrueWords said:
How about this idea, NO TITHJING AT ALL FOR THE NEW TESTAMENT.

This tract reveals why tithing is not a New Testament ordinance (or law) for Christians, and why it should not be practiced in the church today. I pray the Lord would give you understanding.

1 The tithing that is preached today is falsely based on the commandments of men and is unlike the scriptural tithing. Both of these are not for today. For example, if you tithe, consider the following...

• Do you give agricultural produce and animals, as the Israelites were required to do when tithing (Leviticus 27;30-33 & Deuteronomy 14;22, 23)?

• If you want to "redeem" (or buy back) your
agricultural produce with money, do you add "the fifth part thereof" on top of your tithe making it over 10% (Leviticus 27:30, 31)?

• Do you know that they had to give of their animals when tithing which could not be "redeemed" (or bought back) (Leviticus 27:32, 33)?

• Do you go only to "the place which the Lord your God shall choose", which is in Jerusalem (prophetically) to give yearly tithes (Deuteronomy 12;5-13 & 14:22-28)?

• Do you give your tithes to the Levites as the Israelites did (Numbers 18:23,24)?

• Do your Levite ministers give "a tenth part of the tithe" as a "heave offering" to the high priest (Numbers 18:26-28)?

• Do you know that the yearly feast in Jerusalem was considered by many, as a second tithe on top of the tithe for the Levites, which, if so, would make their tithes 20% or more (Deuteronomy 14:22-26)?

•Do you lay up within your gates every three years, tithes for the Levite, the stranger , the fatherless and the widow (Deuteronomy 14:28, 29)?

2 The next thing to consider is a group called the "Levites". These men had no inheritance in the land and were to be given the tithes. Let us consider a few things about them from the book of Hebrews.

• We read that the Levites "have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren" (Hebrews 7:5). Notice first that only the Levites had this command to take tithes, and not the Gentiles or any other Israelite. Clearly then, anyone that is not a Levite, including Gentiles and Jewish Christians, have no commandment to take tithes.

• Today, the church is not under a Levitical priesthood and there is no outward temple, sacrifices or other religious duties for them to perform. In fact, the church is not required to continue in these things today which are only shadows of Christ's work (Colossians 2:14-17, and Hebrews 9:9, 10 - 10:7-9). So Christians have no command to take tithes or to give tithes today for this was given only to the Levites and to be taken only of their brethren (Hebrews 7: 5).
• Also note in Hebrews 7:12, it says "For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law". Observe here that the law is changed. Tithing is included as part of this law, as seen in Hebrews 7:5, 11. So the Old Testament law of tithing is no longer required and is changed.

3 When some in the church had given all they had and laid it at the apostles' feet, they were not told by Peter or others to lay aside all their tithes for the requirements of the Old Testament giving, or for the upkeep of the sacrificial system with its temple and priesthood. Can you imagine someone saying to Peter, "wait a minute Peter, what about our tithes to the Levites and the upkeep of the temple"? What do you think his response would be? It is clear that he did not say "give us tithes".

4 All giving in the scriptures is of two basic kinds: A - Required giving under restraint and necessity. B. - Free-will giving from the heart.

A. Required giving in the Old Testament was to pay tithes and taxes where necessary.
B. Free-will giving in the Old Testament was voluntary. These were among the free will offerings we read about in Leviticus and Ezra 1:4. There were also offerings mentioned in Exodus 35:4-10 and 36:5-7. When these were collected they had more than enough because the people believed it was of God.

A. Required giving in the New Testament is to pay taxes, (Romans 13:5-7, and 1 Peter 2:13, 14).

B. Free-will giving in the New Testament is for "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7). So here we see that no man can tell you how much to give, but it is as every man purposes in his heart. This giving is not of "necessity", a word which means: of constraint or distress, implying a thing that is needful. But tithing in the Old Testament law was not optional, it was under constraint and very needful. This is not so in the New Testament and the church has no tithe commands, therefore we do not need to tithe.

5 Some might say that "since Abraham gave tithes in the book of Genesis before the law so should we", but let's look at this closer:

• First, we notice that Abraham was under no commandment or obligation to give a tenth. He did this freely, so this was a free-will offering and not a commandment of required giving.

• We also read that Abraham gave only the "tenth of the spoils" (Hebrews 7:4), and not all that he owned. These were the spoils of war and not part of the meticulous tithing under the law.

• As far as we know from the scriptures, Abraham never again gave tithes to anyone. So this was not the regular tithing done today as some would have us believe.

• If we use the kind of reasoning that says, because Abraham paid tithes before the law therefore we should, it must also be assumed that we should sacrifice animals as he did and dwell in tents, etc. We must also have all males circumsized. Just because somebody did something before the law is no reason to pick it out and say that it applies today, or else we would have to say that because Abel sacrificed an animal before the law that we should too, which is of course not true.

• Notice also that Abraham gave a tenth; he did not take it. Only the Levites had a command to take tithes. There is a big difference.

6 Some will refer to what Jesus said in Matthew, where it is written, "for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" (Matthew 23:23). Clearly, in this passage of scripture, this is not referring to the Gentiles or the New Testament church, because Jesus was talking to the Jews who were required to do all the Old Testament laws. The New Covenant had not yet come and all the "gifts, and sacrifices", "meats and drinks, and diverse washings and carnal ordinances" were "imposed on them until the time of reformation" (Hebrews 9:9,10 and Col 2:14), which was after Christ's death. The word ordinances in Hebrews 9 also includes the practice of tithing, which fits into the category of things that are reformed.

7 There is another passage of scripture that some try to use today (but wrongly and out of context ) to try to prove their position of tithing, which is Malachi 3:8-10. These verses say that men have robbed God in "tithes and offerings", and that they are "cursed" if they do so. But let's look a little closer at these verses:

• First, these verses were written to Israel and they were God's "ordinances" (or laws) (vs 3:14) which they had to keep. These laws were not given to the Gentiles or the church and the ordinaces mentioned are among the ones of Hebrews 9:10.

• The people were told to bring "all the tithes into the storehouse" (vs 10). The storehouse was apparently a part of the Jewish temple and for storing food, etc. This is nowhere to be found among Christian gatherings and the assembly hall or meeting place where Christians gather is definitely not this storehouse.

• Also notice the word "offerings". This word relates to a present (as offered up), particularly in sacrifice or it can mean a tribute or gift. It is also related to a heave offering or oblation. Now if this word can refer to sacrificial oblations, then where are they today? What right have any in the church today to quote this passage to Israel and apply it to the church?
• Notice again the verse, "Ye are cursed with a curse". Many Christians have had this curse put upon them if they don't tithe. But what does the New Testament say about this? We read in the Book of Galatians, "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them" (Galatians 3:10). But we know that "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us:..." (Galatians 3:13). The question is, are men being brought under the law again with such commands and curses?

8 Some Christians are even burdened further with the thought of paying back tithes. But just how much would they have to pay before they could escape from the curse? Answer, Gal. 3:13.

9 Some may say, "if the ministers don't press tithing then the people will not give enough and they won't be able to support themselves, their religious structure or their families".

• This excuse may be all right for a carnal ministry, but God provides for those whom he sends, for"Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges?" (1 Corinthians 9:7). So God will help his ministers and not forsake them-this is of coarse if they sow spiritual things and are sent by him (1 Corinthians 9:11, and Romans 10:15). Jesus also said at one time to his ministers, "...freely ye have received, freely give" (Matthew 10:8). They may, however, still receive benefit from the body of believers, but this is to be freely given and not under the constraint and necessity of a tithing law.

In conclusion, tithing is not a New Testament law required for Christians. If Christians want to follow an Old Testament tithing law then they must follow it to the letter and have the following: a Levitical priesthood, sacrifices, an outward temple, pay over 10% if needed, tithe certain things such as corn, oil and wine, etc. (Deut. 14:22,23), and follow all the particulars of Old Testament tithing. However, tithing is no longer required for the church.

Good thoughtful study of Old Testament scripture TrueWords. I recently read a short article by a Pentecostal pastor which covers some of the information you provided.
http://www.thegraceproject.com/Articles/The%20Tithing%20Controversy-%20No%20laughing%20Matter.htm

I would just like to add.
Even Jewish Rabbis who follow the Old Covenant today refuse to collect tithes. Why? They think it would be a sin because only direct descendants of Levites are permitted to collect tithes according to the law and there are no descendants left today. Hebrews 7: 5 Deuteronomy 18:1, 26:12. They recommend that their members contribute 10% to the charity of their choice.

Apostle Paul speaks in 2 Corinthians 8 on how we should give.
The rules we should follow:
Give joyfully [8.2]
Give voluntarily [8.2]
Give sacrificially [8.2]
Give beyond your means [8.3, 8.10]
Gave of your own free-will [8.3]

We should not give because the law requires us to or we wish to receive some material blessing in return.We give from our heart because of our love for God and our gratitude for all he has done for us.

God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seekthetruth909

Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
✟16,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
woobadooba said:

God understands. If you can't afford to give money at this time, you could always give your time.

Pray often, volunteer at a church or homeless shelter, help a child learn to read, give a friend in need emotional support, cut a retired widows grass, drive some children to Sunday school, put a quarter in someone’s expired parking meter, visit an elderly person in a home with no children, adopt a poor family at Christmas, bring a unbeliever to church, etc.

Show that being a Christian isn't always about how much you put in the collection plate; it’s also about how you show your love to others.

[BIBLE]

John 13:35

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Galatians 5:14

The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself

[/BIBLE]

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MikeJ said:
We tithe on our first fruits..which is before taxes..but you can tithe on the net as long as you tithe the refund...

but tithing is between you and God.... and the tithe can be your treasure, time or talent...

Not only your treasure and time but talent...are tithe...or First Fruits...

Upvote 0

DanielRB

Slave of Allah
Jul 16, 2004
New Mexico
✟18,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
horuhe00 said:
Tithing was instituted by God before the 10 Commandments.
Therefor, tithing is before the Law.
I think that when Christ came, he abolished the Law, but not what came before it.

Hi Horuhe, :wave:

If we followed that logic, we should also circumcise our male children, observe the Passover, and make a distinction between clean and unclean meats. All of these things were specifically commanded by God before Sianai.

Furthermore, though Abraham and Jacob both speak of tithing, God no where commanded it before the giving of the Law.

The model of the earliest Church was to sell all and give it to the Church. However, this was never commanded, and the Church quickly stopped doing this.

Jesus commanded (not suggested, commanded) that we "sell what you have, and give alms" (Luke 12:33). One might argue that this was just to his first listeners, but one could try using that argument about anything that Jesus said.

I'm not sure why tithing seems to be one thing that people pluck out of the Old Testament and say it's applicable today.

In Christ,

Daniel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
billwald said:
I never heard anyone who tithes on gross income complain that it cost them anything in the long run. It is only people who don't tithe who worry (wonder?) about such things. Never heard anyone complain that they lost their house because they tithed.

I am assuming that this response is directed at me. Let me tell you something, I never said that I didn't tithe. I just simply said that 10% is too much for us at this time.

Also, you try living in Ca, see how high the cost of living is here, get a home here, and see if you can continue giving 10% of your income to a church that doesn't even care about you!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.