Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
A few weeks past now, my oldest sister and I were speaking on the phone. She mentioned that I ought to date other women, albeit no one will ever be like my wife, but to stay alone would be a waste of who I am as a man of God.

I do not intend to remarry. Nonetheless, this is not a waste of who I am as a daughter of God; I can help out at my church, I can be a mother to my daughter, and I can help out at my school. I can be a friend and a neighbour. I don't get to be a wife any more, but I can remember my h, and I can remind my d of the early years that she has forgotten.

I am not quite sure where the 'waste' bit comes in, to be honest. There is only one thing a married person does with their spouse that cannot be done with anyone else; I am not sure how missing that one thing constitutes a waste.

Widows and widowers with young children would be advised to marry again, imo, for the sake of their children. Otherwise, if they prefer to remain unmarried, then I think that is probably better, but a celibate life is not for everyone. If they are still young, or they want to remarry, then I would personally wish them all the happiness in the world. I would not worry about comparisons; we all have good friends who we love, but each in his or her own way. As with our children, a second husband would not compete with the first; each would have his own unique love which is nothing like the other.

A man or woman of God serves those around them, as Christ serves us. There is nothing to prevent those who are widowed from fulfilling this role.

Today would have been my 25th wedding anniversary, and my h's birthday. God's will be done.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi Rememberme, yes I am thinking about it. I was prodded by scripture I'd read about how it's better for some widows to marry. I've already joined a dating site, but I'm procrastinating as far as putting up a picture. I'm not in a great big hurry, but I'm willing to explore God's will on this. Blessings!

I can understand the trepidation. I wish you well, whatever you decide to do.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

ThyLovingkindness

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
✟14,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can understand the trepidation. I wish you well, whatever you decide to do.

God be with you.

Hi Catherineanne, I just read your posts, thank you, and happy wedding anniversary too! I agree with your opinion on "waste," because like you, I've much to keep me busy during widowhood. You see, I'm active in my church, and also stay as physically active as I can! While I do become lonely at times, it's not at any cost. Once again I defer to scripture with regard to dating, and it behooves me to marry if it's God's precious will. Besides, I just can't fathom being alone for the rest of my life, for it's likely that I have a good 20-30 years left on this earth. But again, all of it is really up to the Lord. Blessings!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi Catherineanne, I just read your posts, thank you, and happy wedding anniversary too! I agree with your opinion on "waste," because like you, I've much to keep me busy during widowhood. You see, I'm active in my church, and also stay as physically active as I can! While I do become lonely at times, it's not at any cost. Once again I defer to the scripture with regard to dating, and it behooves me to marry if it's God's precious will. Besides, I just can't fathom being alone for the rest of my life, for it's likely that I have a good 20-30 years left on this earth. But again, all of it is really up to the Lord. Blessings!

Many thanks. :)

I am happy to accept God's will too, but I would take quite a lot of convincing. I think it is far better to be lonely alone than unhappily married. :)

Upvote 0

ThyLovingkindness

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
✟14,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many thanks. :)

I am happy to accept God's will too, but I would take quite a lot of convincing. I think it is far better to be lonely alone than unhappily married. :)

Amen sister! I agree. I know better than to settle, especially after having had a decent man in my life (who happened to be my late-husband). Besides, for several years afterward, Jesus has been my main man... what better Husband is that?

"For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called." Isaiah 54:5

And as it stands now, I sense that God's directives are pointing me toward the possibility of remarriage. In the meantime, I wait upon Him.

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Amen sister! I agree. I know better than to settle, especially after having had a decent man in my life (who happened to be my late-husband). Besides, for several years afterward, Jesus has been my main man... what better Husband is that?

"For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called." Isaiah 54:5

And as it stands now, I sense that God's directives are pointing me toward the possibility of remarriage. In the meantime, I wait upon Him.

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

All of that is true, and more. The Lord has all my time, all my devotion at present.

Some people have spoken to me of remarriage; my priest says to remain open to it as a possibility. One man at my former church declared his undying love for me, but he had been married (and divorced) three times before so I was not exactly flattered. Whenever I look forward and imagine someone else in my life, and a new father for my daughter, it seems very unlikely, to be honest.

Although it would be nice to have someone to cut the grass. :)

Upvote 0

ThyLovingkindness

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
✟14,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All of that is true, and more. The Lord has all my time, all my devotion at present.

Some people have spoken to me of remarriage; my priest says to remain open to it as a possibility. One man at my former church declared his undying love for me, but he had been married (and divorced) three times before so I was not exactly flattered. Whenever I look forward and imagine someone else in my life, and a new father for my daughter, it seems very unlikely, to be honest.

Although it would be nice to have someone to cut the grass. :)

That is funny, your last paragraph! Yeah, I get tired of cleaning the gutters, pruning bushes, and hoisting heavy boxes from Costco too! ^_^

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Too bad we all don't live close, I bet we'd be great friends IRL. I think whatever happens for each of us will be the right thing for each of us. Some days I get tired of doing everything by myself, but other days I am happy to have the freedom I have so....either way I can be content. That's why for me I said it would be great to have a friend or friends like LeaningOnChrist to hang out with and talk with and with no expectation or concern about things going further!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
That is funny, your last paragraph! Yeah, I get tired of cleaning the gutters, pruning bushes, and hoisting heavy boxes from Costco too! ^_^

Yes, I do the shopping and the gardening, but I always did when h was around. He used to cut the grass and fill the car with petrol when it was needed. Apart from that, I did most things. And now I do them as well.

:)

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Too bad we all don't live close, I bet we'd be great friends IRL. I think whatever happens for each of us will be the right thing for each of us. Some days I get tired of doing everything by myself, but other days I am happy to have the freedom I have so....either way I can be content. That's why for me I said it would be great to have a friend or friends like LeaningOnChrist to hang out with and talk with and with no expectation or concern about things going further!

Freedom is good, yes, but I miss being spoiled. That one goes back far too many years, but no matter how much our friends value us as people, they don't spoil us in quite the same way. The dinners, the theatre trips, the small gifts from time to time. It would be sad never to experience any of those again. But it would be worse to make the wrong choice the second time round. I think on balance I am better off as I am.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Freedom is good, yes, but I miss being spoiled. That one goes back far too many years, but no matter how much our friends value us as people, they don't spoil us in quite the same way. The dinners, the theatre trips, the small gifts from time to time. It would be sad never to experience any of those again. But it would be worse to make the wrong choice the second time round. I think on balance I am better off as I am.

Well that's the difference then, right there. It was my HUSBAND that was spoiled, not me lol

Upvote 0

LeaningOnChrist

Washed in the Blood of the Lamb
Apr 28, 2012
Southwest USA
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
A few thoughts...

I miss spoiling my beloved wife more than anything. I enjoyed how she appreciated my love expressed for her in countless ways. There is something unique about everyone, as we are created in the image and after the likeness of God, therefore my beloved wife was beyond special in my eyes. What I miss the most is those time when she would feel so cherished and provided for in a loving way. I miss how she would let me know how she felt. I think about the bond of trust that we shared, never wanting to harm one another and I see just how much of a gift she and I were given to experience on earth. It is rare to have shared what she and I did, indeed.

This morning I had another chat with my oldest sister. She is a kind woman and very loving to me and adored my beloved wife. As she and I were talking she told me how she realized that the love my beloved wife and I shared was very special. She realized how God had designed myself and my beloved wife for one another. I told my sister how I appreciated her willingness to acknowledge this as true. I also told her how I have thanked the Lord daily for the special bond of love that my beloved wife were blessed with to share.

My sister told how she understood how the bond of love that my beloved wife and I were blessed with is eternally alive and with me forever. I was thankful for this conversation. The last conversation was about her concerns about my needing to date widows or I would be wasting so much that I have to offer. I told her this morning how I realized her concern is well meaning and that I appreciate her concern.

And she then told me how she realized that she has always loved my ability to be strong in a way that is unwavering when I give my word. I told her how integrity is a quality that my beloved wife and I shared and valued beyond measure. It made our marriage solid as it was based on the principles of a Christ centered marriage. My sister told me how she valued this also and has this with her husband. I listened and quietly wept inside. I miss my beloved wife so very, very much!

Thanks for listening to me ramble again on a thread that I hope I have not gone too far off topic. If so forgive my error.

In HIS unfailing Love...

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
A few thoughts...

I miss spoiling my beloved wife more than anything. I enjoyed how she appreciated my love expressed for her in countless ways. There is something unique about everyone, as we are created in the image and after the likeness of God, therefore my beloved wife was beyond special in my eyes. What I miss the most is those time when she would feel so cherished and provided for in a loving way. I miss how she would let me know how she felt. I think about the bond of trust that we shared, never wanting to harm one another and I see just how much of a gift she and I were given to experience on earth. It is rare to have shared what she and I did, indeed.

This morning I had another chat with my oldest sister. She is a kind woman and very loving to me and adored my beloved wife. As she and I were talking she told me how she realized that the love my beloved wife and I shared was very special. She realized how God had designed myself and my beloved wife for one another. I told my sister how I appreciated her willingness to acknowledge this as true. I also told her how I have thanked the Lord daily for the special bond of love that my beloved wife were blessed with to share.

My sister told how she understood how the bond of love that my beloved wife and I were blessed with is eternally alive and with me forever. I was thankful for this conversation. The last conversation was about her concerns about my needing to date widows or I would be wasting so much that I have to offer. I told her this morning how I realized her concern is well meaning and that I appreciate her concern.

And she then told me how she realized that she has always loved my ability to be strong in a way that is unwavering when I give my word. I told her how integrity is a quality that my beloved wife and I shared and valued beyond measure. It made our marriage solid as it was based on the principles of a Christ centered marriage. My sister told me how she valued this also and has this with her husband. I listened and quietly wept inside. I miss my beloved wife so very, very much!

Thanks for listening to me ramble again on a thread that I hope I have not gone too far off topic. If so forgive my error.

In HIS unfailing Love...

Wow! What a turnabout for your sister eh? It seems that God is using you to show her something. She seems to really admire you and I agree, that she probably was just concerned for you, and possibly a bit frustrated. It is frustrating when someone has a problem that we cannot fix, such as our situations. So it sounds like it just came out wrong in the initial conversations and she loves you very much and just doesn't want you to be sad and lonely the rest of your days. I'm sure God does not want that either, and if your love between you and your wife is what you say it is, and I have no reason to doubt you, your wife would not want that for you either. So as long as you can be content being single until God takes you home and live for Christ while you are still here, that's all that matters.

I know if I had died and my husband was left, he probably would've gotten in a new relationship fairly soon, and I would not have faulted him for it. I just didn't and there hasn't even been opportunities that I have turned down so....I'm not sure still what God has in store for me, but I trust Him, so whatever that is, it is. :hug:

Upvote 0

LeaningOnChrist

Washed in the Blood of the Lamb
Apr 28, 2012
Southwest USA
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Last thing I told my sister is …..To be clear if you my precious sister or anyone else believes I need to date or might date or later on I will date, I am without any doubt that I will not ever date another woman while I am on earth. She understands but disagrees. Our sibling love is untouched by our disagreements.

Further, my beloved wife did not nor would she want me to love another woman. Even if she did, I would not. My love for her is so intensely complete. I love my beloved wife in a way that is from the fruit of Christ and she loved me this way also.

Within our Marriage Covenant a bond of love formed that only the Almighty could annul, thus require us not to express our love one to another ever again. To this date our love bond is fulfilling to the degree that it remains intact and fully present within my heart and soul as though it never went anywhere.

My beloved wife, who is with the Lord, is the only woman I will ever be in love with. My conviction is clear. This is what I have told my entire family and every friend, when they have expressed opinions of what I should do with my life now that my beloved wife is with the Lord in Heaven.

With total certainly I am ever so content with my present state and know that the bond of love between my beloved wife and I is eternal, and when we see each other in Heaven we will share in our Love for Christ in fellowship and never have to ever part again.

My eyes are fixed on my eternal inheritance from Christ and HIS promises. This is my sole source of comfort. The bond of Love that remains within my heart and soul for my beloved wife will never fade. Our Heavenly threads of Love remain eternally. This I wholeheartedly trust to Christ Jesus, my Lord and Savior. Amen to that!!!!

In HIS unfailing Love...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I am glad you and your sister were able to understand one another. It is more than possible for someone to say the wrong thing, but with the very best of intentions. Clearly your sister is very special; for one thing you can safely spoil her now, if you want to, without any fear for your marriage.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Amen Brother! :amen: It's very beautiful how much you love your wife and I have nothing to add except that. It's your journey and it's you who matters. :clap::clap::clap:

That is all very true.

I think I ought to say something, because people might get the wrong impression.

My husband was an alcoholic, and he drank himself to death over 20 or more years. In the process he did a lot of harm to myself and to our daughter, but I minimised this harm as much as I could by first of all asking him to leave and then divorcing him.

I am Anglo Catholic, so I did not ever date anyone while h was alive, and to his credit, neither did he. But he did hurt a lot of people, over a long time. At first I found it hard to be in the same room with him, but over the years as his health deteriorated the anger went and I felt very sorry for him, and for everything that he had thrown away. He died when our d was 18, and he will not see her graduate, or marry, and he will never know his grandchildren, if she is blessed with a family.

He died last year. When I spoke to my priest about this he said that in God's eyes, and in his, I am a widow. I don't usually use that word; I use the word relict; the remaining partner. My memories now are of the early days; the days which were full of promise and happiness, when h was young, and full of life. Before he destroyed his health beyond retrieval.

When he was dying I arranged for him to have the last rites on our daughter's behalf, because I had discussed it with him some months before, and it was what he wanted. His mother and sister were furious, because they thought that the mother was his next of kin, and could veto that. She couldn't. She is not religious at all; when h was confirmed at my church she refused to come, saying she would not cross the road to go to the service, because it meant nothing to her. That gives an idea of the kind of woman she is.

At the funeral she refused to let my d have any part, or contribute anything, and she only got a passing mention. D sat at the back, with me and a family friend. It was a complete disgrace.

The day after h died d wanted to go to his home, to visit. His mother and sister refused, and when I insisted they said that there was nothing there; they had already gutted the place and taken everything of value. He had not been dead a day. They handed me a carrier bag at the funeral, with photographs and two or three trinkets in it, for our d. They kept everything else, even though it ought to have belonged to her.

Since the funeral neither of them have had anything to do with my d, who is the only granddaughter. Nothing. It is as if d died with her dad. His mother blames me for his drinking, needless to say, but he was a very heavy drinker long before I knew him. When we met I said I wanted him not to drink so much, and he said he had cut down a lot. Really he only hid it, but I was too naive to know that. I would know now.

Anyway, this is a very long way of saying what I wanted to, which is this. H had problems, lots of them. He was a very troubled man, and in the end it was impossible to save him, although we did what we could, when we could. I regularly ordered shopping for him online, if he lost his phone I ordered him a new one, and we put credit on it if he ran short, if he had no food at all, I ordered takeaways for him. Once his ambulance did not turn up to take him to hospital and he lost his hospital bed, so I rang and rearranged the admission and then ordered him a taxi and got him into hospital the same day, and he was there for three weeks. I did what I could. When he was dying I wanted to bring him home, but d would not have that, and my priest said I couldn't do it; my own health is fragile.

The reason I will not remarry is not because our marriage was idyllic; it wasn't. It is because I do not think I could make such vows twice in one lifetime, and because I do not want to disown h before the whole company of heaven. When I enter eternity, he will be there, as he was before; young and whole, and without the damage caused by the alcoholism. That is the person I still love, and that is who I look forward to seeing again, one day.

The worst part of the whole thing is that our d does not remember that person. She remembers only the past few years, and the terrible nightmare that we lived through. She does not remember her dad as he once was. I may be the only person who does.

Upvote 0

Rememberme

Feb 4, 2012
Central Fl
✟15,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
A few thoughts...

In HIS unfailing Love...

Glad you and your sister got to talk further about this.She recognizes your marriage was heavenly made.As I said previously our family and friends want to "fix" our hearts,our life.My brother, who understands loss,he lost both of his sons within three years.Broke my heart.He knew the pain.I could not even compare mine to his but he knew.His job was getting vertical in the morning.Well meaning people wanted to know what I was going to do.Get a job etc.Gee I don't know.I just fought the battle of my life and I am left on the field bleeding.I just need someone to come pick me off the field and carry me to the medical infirmary and care for me. Which is our Jesus.He is faithful to perform that.So like I said they mean well.You do what is in your heart brother and walk this out with the Lord.

Grace and peace

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.