Third Time's the Charm: West Michigan library defunded over LGBTQ books wins tax support 63/37 in election

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Voters in Ottawa County’s Jamestown Township approved an operating millage Tuesday for the Patmos Library by a 63 percent to 37 percent margin, with all votes counted, ending one of Michigan’s most contentious culture wars over books.

About 84 percent of the library’s $250,000 budget comes from township property taxes. The library has managed to stay open since its first millage defeat in August 2022 by dipping into $300,000 in donations that were raised through GoFundMe campaigns, but was still expected to run out of money by the fall of 2024 if it lost Tuesday’s vote.

The book battle began in Jamestown village and surrounding Jamestown Township in the spring of 2022 over three books shelved in the library’s young adult graphic novel section. The most controversial of the three, Gender Queer: A Memoir,” includes drawings that depict sex acts. That book has since been moved behind the circulation desk, where patrons wishing to check it out must request it.

In August 2022, the library’s millage vote lost by 25 percentage points after some community members claimed the library was exposing children to inappropriate contentography. Three months later, a second vote lost by 12 points.

That new board, evenly split between members who supported and opposed the LGBTQ-themed books, reached a compromise — no books would be removed from the library, but all books would get descriptions of their contents placed on their inside covers. The labels will be copied from book descriptions from the Library of Congress or book-selling websites like Amazon.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad they got funding back. I think all this book banning is foolish. And makes kids, teens and grown ups want to read these books more.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Voters in Ottawa County’s Jamestown Township approved an operating millage Tuesday for the Patmos Library by a 63 percent to 37 percent margin, with all votes counted, ending one of Michigan’s most contentious culture wars over books.

About 84 percent of the library’s $250,000 budget comes from township property taxes. The library has managed to stay open since its first millage defeat in August 2022 by dipping into $300,000 in donations that were raised through GoFundMe campaigns, but was still expected to run out of money by the fall of 2024 if it lost Tuesday’s vote.

The book battle began in Jamestown village and surrounding Jamestown Township in the spring of 2022 over three books shelved in the library’s young adult graphic novel section. The most controversial of the three, Gender Queer: A Memoir,” includes drawings that depict sex acts. That book has since been moved behind the circulation desk, where patrons wishing to check it out must request it.

In August 2022, the library’s millage vote lost by 25 percentage points after some community members claimed the library was exposing children to inappropriate contentography. Three months later, a second vote lost by 12 points.

That new board, evenly split between members who supported and opposed the LGBTQ-themed books, reached a compromise — no books would be removed from the library, but all books would get descriptions of their contents placed on their inside covers. The labels will be copied from book descriptions from the Library of Congress or book-selling websites like Amazon.
Get those books about sexuality back in school libraries RIGHT NOW. It's so much more important than academic achievement, as our schools have demonstrated for the past few years with their failing scores. Out of curiosity, I took a look at the SAT scores in that township:

It won't allow me to cut and paste the graph, which you can see here: College Readiness

28.2% met the total benchmark scores. UNDER 30%! 52.5% with reading/writing, and 29.9% met the math benchmark.

Schools, get back to fixing academic failures, your entire reason for existence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Get those books about sexuality back in school libraries RIGHT NOW. It's so much more important than academic achievement, as our schools have demonstrated for the past few years with their failing scores. Out of curiosity, I took a look at the SAT scores in that township:

It won't allow me to cut and paste the graph, which you can see here: College Readiness

28.2% met the total benchmark scores. UNDER 30%! 52.5% with reading/writing, and 29.9% met the math benchmark.

Schools, get back to fixing academic failures, your entire reason for existence.
What are you going on about?
This isn’t a “school library” but a public library.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And... the thread is not about putting books back in any library.
That was sarcasm. This is an issue all over the country, but this particular library is public and the people have decided they want this stuff in the library.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That was sarcasm. This is an issue all over the country, but this particular library is public and the people have decided they want this stuff in the library.
The people were mollified by a compromise that involves pasting book descriptions into every book so people have a better idea of the content. This helped flip the vote from anti-library funding to pro-library funding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,325.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Get those books about sexuality back in school libraries RIGHT NOW. It's so much more important than academic achievement, as our schools have demonstrated for the past few years with their failing scores.
Yeah, I checked that as well. It seems the entire education department in that area has done nothing in the last couple of years but concentrate on getting a couple of books into a library.

Edit: Oops, my bad. I just realised that the complaints were about books in a public library. And had literally nothing to do with the education department, schools, teachers or SAT scores.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm glad they got funding back. I think all this book banning is foolish. And makes kids, teens and grown ups want to read these books more.
Yes, I agree.

And yes, I have read LGBT books- believe it or not.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
This is how it should be done. The people have spoken. They want something done about it all, a compromise was reached and the library got the tax money. Democracy in Acton.

I hope the library leaders learned a valuable lesson here. When the taxpayers speak they need to listen. This should not have taken this long.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,325.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is how it should be done. The people have spoken. They want something done about it all, a compromise was reached and the library got the tax money. Democracy in Acton.

I hope the library leaders learned a valuable lesson here. When the taxpayers speak they need to listen.
It was so successful, we should extend this to other matters and let the people decide. What do you think?

Upvote 0