TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nightride buses are a bit sad and lonely to travel on. Do yourself a favour and if you're going to get drunk at the pub, stop drinking before the trains stop running. :(
your experience is different to mine. Some of the other passengers from the nightride actually helped me in a court case. I only knew them from travelling on nightride.

Upvote 0

Tahoenite

Someone from the Tahoe region
Apr 6, 2010
✟15,368.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi All, quick update for everyone that beared with me through the myriad of questions.

We have been AU for over a decade and wanted to give an update to everyone that responded.

-We are now dual citizens with the US.
-Both my wife and I had returned to Uni and are now AU employed in the respective fields (healthcare), which was lots of fun during COVID.
-Were able to buy a house before inflation shot up.
-Both children occaisionally think of theselves as American eventhough they have been in AU for more than 75% of their live, and are looking into starting Uni soon.
-Have visited the States twice since we have been here. When leaving on the first trip I heard everyones US accent on the plane, and mentioned to my wife that "There were alot of Americans on this flight", and my wife broke out in laughter. I am not sure if it was because I thought of (them) as Americans or the fact that we were flying to.
-The second trip over was very strange as there were alot of places like shops, restaurants, roads, that we had been many times before all felt foreign to us.

It has been a bumpy road at times but the Lord has blessed us in our move here.

Kind Regards,
Tahoenite

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Hi All, quick update for everyone that beared with me through the myriad of questions.

We have been AU for over a decade and wanted to give an update to everyone that responded.

-We are now dual citizens with the US.
-Both my wife and I had returned to Uni and are now AU employed in the respective fields (healthcare), which was lots of fun during COVID.
-Were able to buy a house before inflation shot up.
-Both children occaisionally think of theselves as American eventhough they have been in AU for more than 75% of their live, and are looking into starting Uni soon.
-Have visited the States twice since we have been here. When leaving on the first trip I heard everyones US accent on the plane, and mentioned to my wife that "There were alot of Americans on this flight", and my wife broke out in laughter. I am not sure if it was because I thought of (them) as Americans or the fact that we were flying to.
-The second trip over was very strange as there were alot of places like shops, restaurants, roads, that we had been many times before all felt foreign to us.

It has been a bumpy road at times but the Lord has blessed us in our move here.

Kind Regards,
Tahoenite
Congratulations, I'm glad it turned out okay!

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't join in this discussion at any point till now. In 2010/2011 I don't think I was on the forum, and now it has suddenly jumped to 2023/24.

If Tahoenite has been in Australia for over 10 years, he and his family will be well and truly aware of Australian life, pros and cons etc.

I just wish Tahonenite and his family all the best for 2024 and beyond.

By way of a personal anecdote, one of my wife's friends when she was young (long time ago) was born in Australia, but moved to the US (or vice versa). I don't know the full story but she married an American.

When my wife and two of her other friends (whom we visited yesterday as it happened) visited the USA for a holiday trip circa 1990, they stayed at her home in Columbus, Ohio (in winter which was a culture shock from Brisbane's summer!),

Some years ago her American friend, husband and family moved from the US to Australia residing at Hervey Bay north of Brisbane. A few years later they returned to US.

Unfortunately her husband died not too long ago, and we found out yesterday from the two people my wife had travelled with that the lady is now back in Australia and living on the Gold Coast.

I think at least one of their sons went back to the US.

And that's about the be all and end all of our American connection.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello everyone, my wife has recently become more and more interested with the idea of relocating to Australia. She asked me to look into some aspects of the country with you, I was hoping you would be able to give input on some things that would help make decisions.

Here are some of the bigger questions:

How well are Christians and Christianity received?

How good in the middle class job market?

Are most people content with the government or do they believe that it is not helping the citizens?

What is the perception crime and criminal activity, ie how close and severe do crimes seem to be?

Is there any kind of entitlement attitude especially from younger people?

Ok this one is mine, how often do scary wild animals (crocs/snakes) come to populated areas?

These are probably first of series of questions, any and all advice would be welcome.
Good questions. I'll answer best as I can. I live in an outer suburb of Melbourne, so I can only speak of that.
1. More or less indifferently. I've done street witnessing and some are a little hostile, but not to the point of violence.
2. The job market is OK. unemployment is officially low, but that ignores underemployment
3. No Australian is ever satisfied with the government.
4. Crime is worse in some areas than others. It's not a big problem where I live. Guns are quite strictly controlled, so we do not have the problems of mass shootings that some countries suffer. Knife crime is rising though. Youth crime is a major problem in some towns. I won't say why because I'll be accused of racism.
5. Young people vary a lot. Some are ignorant and arrogant. Others are fine. Most the young people I deal with are in customer service roles. It's pretty obvious which category they fall into.
6. I've seen snakes twice. Once I was walking the dog, the other time driving through a wetlands. Again, it depends on where you live. Australia is not much different from any other urban/suburban based community. If you walk or ride a bike along tracks, you may see some wildlife. We don't have crocodiles where I live. You are more at risk from dogs, horses and most of all, people.

The biggest problem for most people is finding somewhere to live. Sydney and Melbourne are the most populated and it's hard to find accommodation. Australia is big. Like, huge. So generalising is impossible. Queensland has a lot more bugs and snakes than Melbourne, for example. Darwin is hot and humid much of the year. You will need to watch out for crocodiles. Even so, fatalities are fairly rare. Australia is over regulated, so depending on where you are from, you may take issue with that. We have universal health care. It's not "free" but it is paid for by our taxes.

I've lived here since 1967. I've traveled a bit. There is no other place that I would live.

Upvote 0