Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm having a bit of trouble concentrating on my writing recently, and I'm experimenting with different music to help me think. When Sherlock Holmes needed to think, he listened to Pablo Sarasate, but I've heard a little bit of Sarasate, and I find it actually distracts more than anything. Enya works alright, and so does trance music or ambient electronica - but the latter two actually relax me a bit too much. The best I've found so far is quiet soprano opera pieces, but unfortunately most opera isn't quiet.

Do you have any favorite thinking music? If so, share here.

This is what I'm listening to right now, while I wrap up the second chapter of my online novel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_aafzAVj3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeG52vWaldQ

Reactions: Keri

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like to listen to black metal when I need to think of something to write or draw regarding my cartoons. Seems to fit the mood and the repetitiveness gives you a feeling of pushing on.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I can listen to almost any kind of music for any occasion. However, if I'm studying or writing I like to listen to a lot of instrumental music and soundtracks, mostly from John Williams, Mark Snow, Yuji Ohno, John Barry, and Greg Edmonson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy Incognito
Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
As a musician, thinking (of other things besides music) while listening or playing do not go hand in hand with me.

For one, it stuffs up concentration when you are playing something that requires your attention - so I always try to keep my mind on the music itself.

Otherwise, if I'm listening to something I'm usually improvising on it musically in my head or analysing the music itself - be that harmony repeats, sequences, tonal centers, instrumentation etc - or just simply letting myself be one with the music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Btw, MacFall - the peice in the OP is gorgeous. I do not recognise it - who is the composer and what is that excerpt from?

The composer is Rachmaninov, the singer is Sarah Brightman, it's from her "Classics" album.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The composer is Rachmaninov, the singer is Sarah Brightman, it's from her "Classics" album.

Beat me to it.

I less than three Rachmaninov, but his stuff is too dynamic to work reliably for inspiration. Tonight I'm trying Debussy and Satie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums