Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been thinking about creating this discussion for a little while. Not sure if it will do any good, but IMO this should be what the Bishops should be discussing at the upcoming Synod. Anyway here are my suggestions:

1) Life long Religious education - I have no idea why Catholic Churches stop at Confirmation. It makes absolutely no sense to me. The Protestants by far outclass us here (no pun intended.

2) Revivals - When I was Pentecostal, periodically we would have a traveling preacher visit our church for about a week, and we would have services every night for that week. As a Pentecostal they were very beneficial to growing the church and building the moral of the church. Down here in our diocese, we do have the occasional "retreat" which is similar and are usually only for a night or three; but we don't have them enough IMO, once every few years. I would like to see this grow.

3) Praise worship - this we don't do. We do have liturgical worship (the mass) which is the summit of our spiritual life, and I'm not calling for this to be replaced. What I'm asking for is having services (maybe tied into the revivals) where Catholics can let their hair down and praise God in song and prayer.

Anyway these are just a few. What would be your suggestions?

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been thinking about creating this discussion for a little while. Not sure if it will do any good, but IMO this should be what the Bishops should be discussing at the upcoming Synod. Anyway here are my suggestions:

1) Life long Religious education - I have no idea why Catholic Churches stop at Confirmation. It makes absolutely no sense to me. The Protestants by far outclass us here (no pun intended.

2) Revivals - When I was Pentecostal, periodically we would have a traveling preacher visit our church for about a week, and we would have services every night for that week. As a Pentecostal they were very beneficial to growing the church and building the moral of the church. Down here in our diocese, we do have the occasional "retreat" which is similar and are usually only for a night or three; but we don't have them enough IMO, once every few years. I would like to see this grow.

3) Praise worship - this we don't do. We do have liturgical worship (the mass) which is the summit of our spiritual life, and I'm not calling for this to be replaced. What I'm asking for is having services (maybe tied into the revivals) where Catholics can let their hair down and praise God in song and prayer.

Less emphasis on our obligations as Catholics and more emphasis on a real personal relationship with the Lord. One thing that has always bothered me is the punching of the clock mindset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

When I was Confirmed, it was in the 8th grade and High School CCD Classes continued.
However, by the time I was a junior, having a part-time job and getting a drivers license,
kept me from attending CCD Classes, which I was glad I could stop.

FYI, Protestant kids too stop going to Bible Studies by the time they're in High-School.

Revivals? That's what Advent and Lent are essentially doing. Again, the devote Catholics
are the one's who benefit. Catholic parishes also have Catholic Missions where guest speakers
are brought in for the congregation to listen to. Also, there are penitential nights and of course
retreats.

In Protestant religions, only the devote protestants show up
for revivals generally and it looks like it's widespread compared
to the Catholic Church. It's not.

Praise Worship? That's what Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament is about.

Catholics do what you suggest, it's just that you're not aware of these things.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was Confirmed, it was in the 8th grade and High School CCD Classes continued.
However, by the time I was a junior, having a part-time job and getting a drivers license,
kept me from attending CCD Classes, which I was glad I could stop.

FYI, Protestant kids too stop going to Bible Studies by the time they're in High-School.
I'm not speaking necessarily about the kids. I'm talking about lifelong continuing education at the parish level. This the Catholic Church doesn't have, or at least it is not widespread. And most Protestant churches do have this.

Revivals? That's what Advent and Lent are essentially doing. Again, the devote Catholics
are the one's who benefit. Catholic parishes also have Catholic Missions where guest speakers
are brought in for the congregation to listen to. Also, there are penitential nights and of course
retreats.
I would buy that if Advent and Lent were taken more seriously by the average parish. They are not. At most during Advent you will have a parish Christmas party usually well before Christmas; and if you are lucky a Penitential service. During Lent, maybe a Penitential service. Which I agree we used to have these in our parish as well, prior to covid; but since then Penitential services no longer happen, at least in our diocese. Here is the thing, these things happen so irregular, once in a blue moon. They really need to be more frequent. Going to Mass on Sunday is great; but parishioners need more than one hour of Church a week IMO.

In Protestant religions, only the devote protestants show up
for revivals generally and it looks like it's widespread compared
to the Catholic Church. It's not.
I disagree on this. The Protestant Church I used to attend before I became Catholic had them quite frequently, usually once a quarter. And I became a Christian at one of these revivals. But you know what even those devoted need as much spiritual experiences as they can get.

Catholics do what you suggest, it's just that you're not aware of these things.
Well in the above, there is specifically one thing Catholics do not do and that is lifelong adult education classes at our parishes.

The rest? Very infrequently.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Spent 28 years as a protestant, and I think it's pretty simple: protestant has nothing to offer the Mass, in fact it's already ruined the Mass, but there are many things outside the Mass that the Church could consider:

1. Religious Ed: it's way underdeveloped in Catholicism. The issue lies in the fact that we want our kids to partake in Mass the same as us, which I agree is a good thing, a non-negotiable thing. But in the protestant realm parents send their kids off to Sunday school while they go to "big church" (that's what we called it in my family when I was little). It's efficient because the kids are getting their milk while the parents are getting their meat, to borrow the concept from 1 Corinthians 3.

The first step to fixing this is to stop Catholics rush out of the door once Mass is over, and worse in some abhorrently offensive cases, once they've left the communion line. Shame them for leaving early (I love @Rhamiel's story about a priest who would shout that Judas dined and dashed too when he sees parishioners walking out the door after communion). Encourage people to stay at the Church longer. Offer more than just coffee and stale donuts in a janky multipurpose room for an after-Mass activity. Now with the parents staying longer the kids can go to Sunday school - have well catechized young adults working with young kids in a well-balanced curriculum of fun and education to teach them bible stories. Get the kids started young on the bedrock text of our faith: the bible. I have such fond memories of the old (cheesy) felt board with the attachable characters that were used to tell the biblical stories of Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David...all those Old Testament stories that are so fascinating! If they're told well, if they're told right, they're better than any contemporary secular story someone might tell.

As the kids age they can graduate to introductory theological topics, then intermediate ones, they can learn about the Saints, the history of the Church, etc. Sunday school should itself be expressed as a timeline of salvation history. In the earliest years kids can sufficiently be taught that God created the world, that he chose individuals and groups throughout history to lead and to save his people until he finally sent his Son to save everyone once-and-for-all.

Anyway, you get the gist. If enough thought and attention is put into educating our kids and starting them young, that will resolve a lot of the severe doctrinal issues the Church is fighting today like that God awful German synod and the non-questions about sodomy and female priest.

2. Missions: short-term missions are a mixed bag. But the reality is we're getting our lunch handed to us by the evangelicals in developing countries. They go to places like Africa, build orphanages, deliver supplies, preach the gospel, get the Africa believers all excited and they become born again evangelicals and stray from the One True Church that Christ himself founded. It's not enough to have some religious orders on the ground with monasteries or friaries in a few major African or Southeast Asian cities and expect them to do all the leg work. Let's get our high school and college youth taking two-week long group trips to deliver donated books and clothes and hygiene supplies to orphan homes and also evangelizing them in the Catholic faith.

3. Fortify the Mass: Like I mentioned above the styles of Mass need to be parsed. People don't become Catholic to be more Protestant. I didn't convert because I wanted to see more of the crappy guitars and drums I saw in my old CMA church. I was lured into the Church by chant, sacred polyphony, incense, silence, bells, and the Holy Eucharist. So for the misguided people who think tambourines are a good idea in a Church sanctuary let's instead extract that from the Mass and offer Holy Hours in separate rooms outside of Mass times. It maintains a diversity that some people want and it relegates those other styles to their appropriate places. Honestly the darkly lit rooms with Kim Walker CCM lends itself well to the Holy Hour concept.

The Church needs to do a better job of separating these things out. They need to stop trying to make the Mass all things for all people and instead remind the faithful that they need to be the ones that conform. Conform to the Church conform to what the Mass was for thousands of years before the 1970s came along and the masonic infiltration of the Church was fully realized.

4. This ties into a larger problem but begin instilling at a young age the concepts of duty and responsibility. That very little of what we do as Catholics is/should be about how we feel. It's great if our feelings match our responsibility that's not often the case. I rarely feel excited about chores but they're important. They build character. Well, all the same I want to build my Catholic character and we should be building parish cultures that stimulate every single member to do the same. The bare minimum is not good enough, "C's get degrees" is not a valid mantra in the Kingdom of Heaven. I'm sorry, but it just isn't.

5. Reintroduce a culture of shame. It's the lack of shame that has bred a society where sodomites, traneys, and baby murderers not only run rampant but parade their sin with jubilation. We need to bake into people at a young age why these things are abominations, and I think it's entirely possible to do so without feeding into the "repressive religion" narrative.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Spent 28 years as a protestant, and I think it's pretty simple: protestant has nothing to offer the Mass, in fact it's already ruined the Mass, but there are many things outside the Mass that the Church could consider:

1. Religious Ed: it's way underdeveloped in Catholicism. The issue lies in the fact that we want our kids to partake in Mass the same as us, which I agree is a good thing, a non-negotiable thing. But in the protestant realm parents send their kids off to Sunday school while they go to "big church" (that's what we called it in my family when I was little). It's efficient because the kids are getting their milk while the parents are getting their meat, to borrow the concept from 1 Corinthians 3.

The first step to fixing this is to stop Catholics rush out of the door once Mass is over, and worse in some abhorrently offensive cases, once they've left the communion line. Shame them for leaving early (I love @Rhamiel's story about a priest who would shout that Judas dined and dashed too when he sees parishioners walking out the door after communion). Encourage people to stay at the Church longer. Offer more than just coffee and stale donuts in a janky multipurpose room for an after-Mass activity. Now with the parents staying longer the kids can go to Sunday school - have well catechized young adults working with young kids in a well-balanced curriculum of fun and education to teach them bible stories. Get the kids started young on the bedrock text of our faith: the bible. I have such fond memories of the old (cheesy) felt board with the attachable characters that were used to tell the biblical stories of Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David...all those Old Testament stories that are so fascinating! If they're told well, if they're told right, they're better than any contemporary secular story someone might tell.

As the kids age they can graduate to introductory theological topics, then intermediate ones, they can learn about the Saints, the history of the Church, etc. Sunday school should itself be expressed as a timeline of salvation history. In the earliest years kids can sufficiently be taught that God created the world, that he chose individuals and groups throughout history to lead and to save his people until he finally sent his Son to save everyone once-and-for-all.

Anyway, you get the gist. If enough thought and attention is put into educating our kids and starting them young, that will resolve a lot of the severe doctrinal issues the Church is fighting today like that God awful German synod and the non-questions about sodomy and female priest.

2. Missions: short-term missions are a mixed bag. But the reality is we're getting our lunch handed to us by the evangelicals in developing countries. They go to places like Africa, build orphanages, deliver supplies, preach the gospel, get the Africa believers all excited and they become born again evangelicals and stray from the One True Church that Christ himself founded. It's not enough to have some religious orders on the ground with monasteries or friaries in a few major African or Southeast Asian cities and expect them to do all the leg work. Let's get our high school and college youth taking two-week long group trips to deliver donated books and clothes and hygiene supplies to orphan homes and also evangelizing them in the Catholic faith.

3. Fortify the Mass: Like I mentioned above the styles of Mass need to be parsed. People don't become Catholic to be more Protestant. I didn't convert because I wanted to see more of the crappy guitars and drums I saw in my old CMA church. I was lured into the Church by chant, sacred polyphony, incense, silence, bells, and the Holy Eucharist. So for the misguided people who think tambourines are a good idea in a Church sanctuary let's instead extract that from the Mass and offer Holy Hours in separate rooms outside of Mass times. It maintains a diversity that some people want and it relegates those other styles to their appropriate places. Honestly the darkly lit rooms with Kim Walker CCM lends itself well to the Holy Hour concept.

The Church needs to do a better job of separating these things out. They need to stop trying to make the Mass all things for all people and instead remind the faithful that they need to be the ones that conform. Conform to the Church conform to what the Mass was for thousands of years before the 1970s came along and the masonic infiltration of the Church was fully realized.

4. This ties into a larger problem but begin instilling at a young age the concepts of duty and responsibility. That very little of what we do as Catholics is/should be about how we feel. It's great if our feelings match our responsibility that's not often the case. I rarely feel excited about chores but they're important. They build character. Well, all the same I want to build my Catholic character and we should be building parish cultures that stimulate every single member to do the same. The bare minimum is not good enough, "C's get degrees" is not a valid mantra in the Kingdom of Heaven. I'm sorry, but it just isn't.

5. Reintroduce a culture of shame. It's the lack of shame that has bred a society where sodomites, traneys, and baby murderers not only run rampant but parade their sin with jubilation. We need to bake into people at a young age why these things are abominations, and I think it's entirely possible to do so without feeding into the "repressive religion" narrative.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head.
I really like your number 3 comment. Haven't thought of it that way, but you are right. And that thought kind of leads into what I was saying about praise services. Mass is meant to a solemn occasion, coming before our God in the Eucharist and partaking of His table. And the music should reflect that.

But not everyone is made the same way. Some of us, are not wired to go home, pray alone, and come to Mass and outside the pre-written prayers, such as before Mass, after receiving our Lord, and for a very few after Mass, you are still praying alone. I know that Pentecostal can go a bit far, but what I remember from my Pentecostal days, and something that I do still miss, is raising my hands to God and singing at the top of my voice with my brethren to the God who made me. This we don't do, unless we go to a rock concert or something, but that praise isn't toward our God but to the band.

God deserves praise, and songs, and dancing, because He has saved us and made us free. Mass is no the place for this, and as far as I can tell has never been a place for this even in the early Church. That is what I'm speaking of concerning having praise services.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But not everyone is made the same way. Some of us, are not wired to go home, pray alone, and come to Mass and outside the pre-written prayers, such as before Mass, after receiving our Lord, and for a very few after Mass, you are still praying alone. I know that Pentecostal can go a bit far, but what I remember from my Pentecostal days, and something that I do still miss, is raising my hands to God and singing at the top of my voice with my brethren to the God who made me. This we don't do, unless we go to a rock concert or something, but that praise isn't toward our God but to the band.
I kind of think of it this way: you go to a gas station to pump gas, and if you need your car washed you either drive it through the car wash at the gas station afterward gassing up, or you take it to a dedicated car wash some other time. But you don't wash it at the pump, at the pump you're only there for one thing: filling up your tank. Yeah you might wash your windows but that's about it.

So in the same sense, with Mass meant to be what most nourishes us spiritually, we all ought to do that and do it the way all Catholics before us did for centuries upon centuries. And if you get a bit more out of, say, a charismatic prayer service with contemporary music and improvised prayer, well that can be available too in the basement afterwards or on another night for a Holy Hour or something.

Some trads have been applying the same concept but in reverse for a long time. They're forced to go to novus ordo masses that they're not nourished by on Sundays because that's all that's available to meet their Sunday obligation, so they get their appetizer then but the steak and vegetables are at the bi-monthly Friday night TLM that they never miss.

Does that make sense?

God deserves praise, and songs, and dancing, because He has saved us and made us free. Mass is no the place for this, and as far as I can tell has never been a place for this even in the early Church. That is what I'm speaking of concerning having praise services.

Believe it or not, I completely agree. I just think that, like Ecclesiastes 3 tells us, there's a time for everything. I don't think the time for praise and dancing is at Mass, but there can be a place and a time for that elsewhere and I would in no way get in the way of it if it were executed properly. It's not my cup of tea but if it's relegated to the right time and space, more power to those who want it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn’t have to be just this. I remember when I first joined the Catholic Church in a little parish in DeRidder, LA back in the late 80’s; our parish was in the heart and center of Protestant country. That parish had a evening Mass on Wednesday, which was always full with CCD being right after. But what I also remember was there was three active prayer groups that met weekly. A charismatic group (which helped me being a former Pentecostal, transition into the Faith), a prayer group ran by the Legion of Mary, and another one, that I cannot remember. Our little parish always had something going on there, with the only issue being no youth group. Oh and it had a local St. Vincent de Paul charity shop ran like a Goodwill, which provided money for the pastor to give to those in need in our town. The great thing about it was it gave people a place locally to volunteer and feel like they were helping people.

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟23,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One thing I miss from Methodism when visiting NO parishes is the altar rail. It seems to be a much more efficient way of giving Communion to everyone then having each person come up one by one, and would eliminate the perceived need for EMHCs based on the "it would take too long without them" argument.

Most Protestant religious education after Confirmation (or the equivalent age in denominations that don't do Confirmation) in my experience is just terrible. I'm reminded of 1 Corinthians 3:2 about spiritually immature Christians needing "milk" instead of "solid food" - no Sunday school or Bible study or small group I was ever a part of moved on to "solid food." We would spend a week reading the first chapter of 1 John and then drag out a discussion of "when do we walk in darkness? How can we walk in light? How does this apply to your daily life?" for an hour.
Retreats sound like a good idea. One SSPX chapel I've visited a few times advertises Ignatian retreats on their website.
This seems like it would be ripe for abuse and would turn out like St. Sabina in Chicago.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Less emphasis on our obligations as Catholics and more emphasis on a real personal relationship with the Lord. One thing that has always bothered me is the punching of the clock mindset.
Agree! When I was in the Catholic Church I had a friend that was in seminary to be a priest, and we talked about this. I told him if they would put a Eucharist vending machine outside so people could just get the check mark and go, everyone would be happy. His reply was - don't tempt them!

I have many issues - but agree - I used to say "If they want people to come, why don't they call it a holy day of celebration?" EVERYONE agreed! And it's not about the name, but the name reflects their mentality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I have thought for some time that the Church - being the true bridge of man to God, the one option to the godless secular world - needs a "half-way house" to bridge the very deep gap between the two. To "visit" the House of God, speak and hear words of Truth, praise and worship the infinite and pure God for one hour between the other 167 hours of the other radically secularized godless hours of a week, is no way to form holiness in the members, in preparation for the after-life to come. We need a bridge across the chasm, a half-way house between the world and the Holy Mass.

The Baptist church I attended for a time had Wednesday evening services, and it was very well attended - because, I think it was expected of the church members. It was not seen as a mere "suggested option" - the paster communicated that this was important! He was not afraid to put the idea of obligations on the table. In that sense, I would say that the Catholic church ought to take a lesson in - there are many ways to express this, but I'll just say - leaders with "courage." We need time in the week to nurture the faith, and strengthen the realization of God's Presence, through the many means suggested on this thread: adult formation, catechesis for all ages, guidance in prayer and spirituality, Catholic morality, and Catholic Christian fellowship. Our priests are supposed to be "fathers" - and fathers do not abandon their children to wolves.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of my biggest that will get me in trouble - they should allow married clergy. It's how the church was in the beginning, it's how the new Testament sets things up.

I think it's made for a disconnected clergy that cannot understand a life it does not live. This makes it harder for them to reach out. Nothing is perfect - but a good wife is the ABSOLUTE BEST council a man can have.

1 Timothy ch. 3
1 Corinthians 9:5
Titus 1:6.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have thought for some time that the Church - being the true bridge of man to God, the one option to the godless secular world - needs a "half-way house" to bridge the very deep gap between the two. To "visit" the House of God, speak and hear words of Truth, praise and worship the infinite and pure God for one hour between the other 167 hours of the other radically secularized godless hours of a week, is no way to form holiness in the members, in preparation for the after-life to come. We need a bridge across the chasm, a half-way house between the world and the Holy Mass.

The Baptist church I attended for a time had Wednesday evening services, and it was very well attended - because, I think it was expected of the church members. It was not seen as a mere "suggested option" - the paster communicated that this was important! He was not afraid to put the idea of obligations on the table. In that sense, I would say that the Catholic church ought to take a lesson in - there are many ways to express this, but I'll just say - leaders with "courage." We need time in the week to nurture the faith, and strengthen the realization of God's Presence, through the many means suggested on this thread: adult formation, catechesis for all ages, guidance in prayer and spirituality, Catholic morality, and Catholic Christian fellowship. Our priests are supposed to be "fathers" - and fathers do not abandon their children to wolves.
You know I think that the Church when it is establish in an area, and is no longer classified as a mission Church, she forgets what her primary functions are: evangelism and making Saints. These two functions come before everything...or at least should. But from my experience, and since I travel a great deal I get the opportunity to visit a lot of parishes all over the country, and some outside of it (been a while though); and from my experience evangelism and making Saints are not in the top 10 of most parishes. It pretty much feels like that if you want to learn to live as a saint, you are on your own; which is sad.

IMO adult education is by far the greatest hole in the Catholic Church; after that prayer groups.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most Protestant religious education after Confirmation (or the equivalent age in denominations that don't do Confirmation) in my experience is just terrible. I'm reminded of 1 Corinthians 3:2 about spiritually immature Christians needing "milk" instead of "solid food" - no Sunday school or Bible study or small group I was ever a part of moved on to "solid food." We would spend a week reading the first chapter of 1 John and then drag out a discussion of "when do we walk in darkness? How can we walk in light? How does this apply to your daily life?" for an hour.
In this the Catholic Church would have an advantage, if it would take it. We have the Bible, the Catechism, 2000 years of wisdom to pull from.

Retreats sound like a good idea. One SSPX chapel I've visited a few times advertises Ignatian retreats on their website.
Yeah concerning a Catholic practice, retreats would be a great idea. But normally retreats are something that lets say an average working person trying to make ends meet for their families can never get an opportunity to do; but if parishes would have lets say an annual retreat at the parish in the evening so more working class parishioners can go to would be very nice.

This seems like it would be ripe for abuse and would turn out like St. Sabina in Chicago.
Only if it is allowed to be. Praising God as an assembly goes back way before our Lord walked the Earth. Many of those Psalms we love in Scripture come from this practice, especially the ones written by David. Not sure why us modern folks can't do this.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not speaking necessarily about the kids. I'm talking about lifelong continuing education at the parish level. This the Catholic Church doesn't have, or at least it is not widespread. And most Protestant churches do have this.

I would buy that if Advent and Lent were taken more seriously by the average parish. They are not. At most during Advent you will have a parish Christmas party usually well before Christmas; and if you are lucky a Penitential service. During Lent, maybe a Penitential service. Which I agree we used to have these in our parish as well, prior to covid; but since then Penitential services no longer happen, at least in our diocese. Here is the thing, these things happen so irregular, once in a blue moon. They really need to be more frequent. Going to Mass on Sunday is great; but parishioners need more than one hour of Church a week IMO.

I disagree on this. The Protestant Church I used to attend before I became Catholic had them quite frequently, usually once a quarter. And I became a Christian at one of these revivals. But you know what even those devoted need as much spiritual experiences as they can get.

Well in the above, there is specifically one thing Catholics do not do and that is lifelong adult education classes at our parishes.

The rest? Very infrequently.
Sorry, but I posted about kids in CCD, because that's whom we educate first. The fact is, it's their parents who educate them
in the faith,

That being said, adults have multiple opportunities to receive more education in the Church. As I stated, we have adoration, parish missions with guest speakers, retreats, and Scripture studies. Perhaps it's just your parish lacking. We still have these, but of course,
like Protestant Churches, only the devote show up.

I have relatives who were raised Protestant, and although their parents attended services at their church, the adult children do not.
So, if you go to a service or other function, the only people you see are those who take their religion serious enough to go.

All the things mentioned above still happen in my dioceses and I get the Catholic Free Press which has a list of parish functions
and devotions that are taking place.

BTW, mywife and myself are Secular Order Discalced Carmelites, OCDS. We were part of a community for over 20 years before it
disolved. We old now and because of health reasons, never joined another community as it was too far away.

The point is, the Catholic Church offers plenty of what you claim doesn't exits. It may be just your experience and not other
Catholics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SashaMaria

He is risen! Alleluia!
Jun 23, 2018
East coast
✟204,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My parish has both Scripture study groups and adult faith study groups — sometimes on different days, one in the morning and one in the evening — and study the Scriptures, Catechism, Creeds Church Fathers, etc. Also prayer groups, (including charismatic), parish missions and special speakers (lately all parishes are having talks about the Eucharist), retreats, adoration, group rosary after Mass, etc., etc. Many groups accommodate people by meeting on zoom. But as usual, it’s usually a small number who show up.

Reactions: Erose
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My parish has both Scripture study groups and adult faith study groups — sometimes on different days, one in the morning and one in the evening — and study the Scriptures, Catechism, Creeds Church Fathers, etc. Also prayer groups, (including charismatic), parish missions and special speakers (lately all parishes are having talks about the Eucharist), retreats, adoration, group rosary after Mass, etc., etc. Many groups accommodate people by meeting on zoom. But as usual, it’s usually a small number who show up.
Thank you. Sounds like a wonderful parish. Is it very large, medium or small?

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You know I think that the Church when it is establish in an area, and is no longer classified as a mission Church, she forgets what her primary functions are: evangelism and making Saints. These two functions come before everything...or at least should. But from my experience, and since I travel a great deal I get the opportunity to visit a lot of parishes all over the country, and some outside of it (been a while though); and from my experience evangelism and making Saints are not in the top 10 of most parishes. It pretty much feels like that if you want to learn to live as a saint, you are on your own; which is sad.

IMO adult education is by far the greatest hole in the Catholic Church; after that prayer groups.
Parish and diocesan leadership is critical. Even if there is parish-wide acceptance of these two functions as "primary", how are we to see their relationship with one another? The Church has lost her bearing, I believe, and is lacking a true compass to point the way clearly. I hear many words these days extolling the importance of evangelization, of making disciples, and of being and becoming saints. I see very little substantial catechesis and formation in the four pillars, of creed, morals, sacraments and prayer. I see few rightly uniting the Petrine and Marian dimensions of the Church - or even reconciling them - or even recognizing them.

It's in the Catechism:
773 In the Church this communion of men with God, in the “love <that> never ends,” is the purpose which governs everything in her that is a sacramental means, tied to this passing world.<1 Cor 13:8; cf. LG 48>
“<The Church’s> structure is totally ordered to the holiness of Christ’s members. And holiness is measured according to the ‘great mystery’ in which the Bride responds with the gift of love to the gift of the Bridegroom.”<John Paul II, MD 27> Mary goes before us all in the holiness that is the Church’s mystery as “the bride without spot or wrinkle.”<Eph 5:27> This is why the “Marian” dimension of the Church precedes the “Petrine.”<Cf. John Paul II, MD 27>

I see growing clericalism in the Church, exalting "the Petrine" and minimizing "the Marian". As a result, righteous functioning of the clerics is left shallow, lacking the depth needed for the seeds to grow to fruitfulness. We need Mary. We can never grow toward the heights of holiness we are called to seek, in a Church without Mary. And without sanctity, how can we ever "make disciples"?

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I live in a fairly rural area. There's a priest and a deacon who cover 4 parishes (one county over there's a priest who covers 5 without the assistance of a deacon). Those are lucky to get confession on a weekly basis. Of course, the lay folk could lead some of these activities but there seems to be a dearth of ambition.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
My fiancee wanted me to explain the difference between Catholic Mass and Protestant services. She's only known the Mass since being with me, and never a Protestant service. I told her the difference it would seem, to me, is that at Mass we worship, and at Protestant services they study.

Upvote 0