Things have gone from bad to worse for wolves in Greater Yellowstone and Rockies

C

Calliso

wolves just do what they gotta do to survive. wolves and deer benefit from their predator-prey dynamic. deer dont eat themselves into starvation when they are controlled by wolves. deer being cute and cuddly and wolves being scary should have no impact on their conservation statuses.

if they can show that the wolves are a threat to their prey populations then they do need to be controlled but that would need to be demonstrated first.

Exactly! check and balances :)

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sure let's shoot this inocent animal

and leave this one alone, no more natural prey
guess who becomes the hunted.

I hate to see the wolves hunted, but there is a reason to control their numbers, be it that they won't decimate the American Bison population, or the local deer population, or the local bear population.

hey, that would make a nice tattoo, guess I'll be visiting my artist friend tomorrow
Know what's really funny? They hunted for thousands of years before we started hunting them and managed to keep a balance in nature...

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
bambi.jpg

sure let's shoot this inocent animal
BigBadWolfHead.jpg

and leave this one alone, no more natural prey
guess who becomes the hunted.

I hate to see the wolves hunted, but there is a reason to control their numbers, be it that they won't decimate the American Bison population, or the local deer population, or the local bear population.

hey, that would make a nice tattoo, guess I'll be visiting my artist friend tomorrow
2.gif

How about this set of images instead?

You do realize that deer are considered to be North America's Most Dangerous Mammal right? By the way, you should really check out that article. It's quite interesting.

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
What good is it to get the numbers up and then have farmers and the ignorant go out and wipe them out?

It is called: "harvesting".

NOt really any different than any other animal.

We first let our cattle and pig populations get very big, then send most of them to the slaughterhouse to make hamburger and bacon.

A wolf is no different, no better nor worse, than a cow, pig, deer, or chicken - and none of them would live forever if we didnt kill/harvest them.

If you want something to worry about, then worry about loss of habitat.

We are cutting down our forests and paving over our farms and fields because of unlimited population growth. We added 100 million people here in the last 30 years or so. If we keep increasing our population and continue to get rid of our wild lands then lots of animals will go extinct.

If you want to continue to have wolves, and deer and bear, and foxes and badgers, then institute Zero-Population Growth policies for the United States --- its the only solution, and nothing else matters.

Upvote 0

Lockguy3000

Nov 14, 2007
NYC
✟9,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you want to continue to have wolves, and deer and bear, and foxes and badgers, then institute Zero-Population Growth policies for the United States --- its the only solution, and nothing else matters.
Most of the places these animals are in are in limited growth and protected areas. Ever been to Wyoming? I use to live there. You won't see any major cities popping up in that area, I can tell you.

Granted, there has been a lot of growth in places that were once forested, but we have more people now days educating people on conservation than ever before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
Originally Posted by susanann

Most of the places these animals are in are in limited growth and protected areas. Ever been to Wyoming? I use to live there.

Granted, there has been a lot of growth in places that were once forested, but we have more people now days educating people on conservation than ever before.

Ever been to southern California? or Seattle?

Overpopulation of humans, and destroying farms, forests, and fields, is what destroys our wildlife.

Educating people on conservation does no good if you pave over their lands with housing developments and shopping centers.

Eliminate immigration, institute zero population growth to where the population of the US steadily declines, and we will get back lots and lots of wildlife.

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ever been to southern California? or Seattle?
Yes, I use to live in SoCal as well.

Overpopulation of humans, and destroying farms, forests, and fields, is what destroys our wildlife.
And where do you see this going on anymore? American cities, while they tend to expand around city borders, are usually limited to that. It's very rare to see cities just spring up in the middle of nowhere anymore and expand into metropolises. What expansion we do see which causes the result of removing trees is in small communities who move there BECAUSE they are surrounded by trees, wildlife, and tranquility. We have more protected lands now than ever before in this country, and there are many conservationist groups out there who buy land specifically to make sure it doesn't get developed. The only major expansion I've witnessed over the years which has destroyed farms has been in California to make way for new highways and expansion of inner cities which result in new suburbs.

Educating people on conservation does no good if you pave over their lands with housing developments and shopping centers.
Which is why you educate them so they know what is at stake. But again, it goes back up to what I was saying about major development...

Eliminate immigration, institute zero population growth to where the population of the US steadily declines, and we will get back lots and lots of wildlife.
Yes, lets prevent people from having children. Lets make it so if they are pregnant, they go to jail and make all pregnant women have abortions to keep the population down. What are we? Communist China? Sorry to disappoint you, but my wife and I are looking forward to having lots of kids as are many other families.

And we've seen how well trying to control immigration has worked so far... once we get someone in office who will actually do something to stop illegal immigrants from coming to the country and implement a system where people can become citizens or come here to work for a time, you're going to see the population growth slow down.

You're overlooking quite a few facts with a fanatical outlook on the reality of what's going on, it seems.

Upvote 0