Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
They All Hold Swords, Being Experts in War

Song of Solomon 3:8,
"They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night."

You must know the Word of God if you are to overcome and be victorious against the powers of darkness. That would be the fear in the night right there. So let's take a look at this "sword," - Ephesians 6:17 "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

In this message I shall endeavor to "shew thee the word of God," in the context that it is our weapon, the sword of the Spirit. "Stand thou still a while, that I may shew thee the word of God." (1 Samuel 9:27)
Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
It is clear this "sword" is the spoken word, and not just the Word read or memorized: Isaiah 42:2, " And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword..."

And when Christ returns in power and glory, He shall be, "One like unto the Son of Man which, "out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword," and, "out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations" (Revelation 1:16 & 19:15)

Jesus defeated Satan thrice in the wilderness by speaking the Word of God: Matthew 4:4, 7 & 10, where He continues to say "It is written, it is written, it is written..."
The Word must be in your heart, not just in your brain. Oh, it needs to be in those memory banks up there in your head, but head knowledge alone cannot prevail against sin and the Devil. The Word must become a part of you; after all, the Word IS the Son, Jesus Christ, and we must abide in Him, and He in us; John 15:6, "If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."
John 17:23, "I in them, and thou in me..." Jesus prayed unto the Father right before His arrest.

It is imperative to know this Word is not just the written Bible, but is Jesus Christ Himself; John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:14, "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."
Read 1 John 5:7 in your Bible. Here is what it should say: "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." The true, complete Word of God will have that. If your Bible doesn't have that, and only says something like, "For there are three that testify," or "So we have these three witnesses—," or "And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is the truth," it's an incomplete, and therefore corrupted version.
(This Bible Gateway website shows which Bibles have the actual verse which supports the Trinity, and which do not: 1 John 5:7 - Bible Gateway )

We must truly get to know this Word, this Saviour, so that we can often pray Psalm 119:11, "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." Also Psalm 119:140, "Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it." Actually all of Psalm 119; all 176 verses are all about the Word, the testimonies, and statutes, and law of God.

You must train to be expert in war as the opening passage states: that is, to understand your weapon and how to use it. This sword, this weapon, the Word can cut sin down in its tracks. It can stop temptation before it becomes lust that will turn into sin, and we know when sin is finished it bringeth forth death. Oh, do not err beloved brethren! (James 1:14-16) You must train to defend and wage war against the devil, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God...." (Ephesians 6:12-13) Here, in this message we are only dealing with the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, so that you may learn, and know how to use it.

Say a lustful thought comes to mind. Immediately do this; say this, and say it with full conviction from the heart: "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes...Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way....I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid? Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ...And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind....For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."
(Psalm 101:3, Psalm 119:37, Job 31:1, 2 Corinthians 10:5, Romans 12:2, 1 John 2:16-17)
You don't need to cite chapter and verse. Jesus didn't have them: the Word was in Him, and He was the Word, and IS the Word. He should be in us, and if we don't have Christ, the living Word within us, an internal thing of the heart, we are most miserable. You cannot defeat sin, nor Satan, nor the lust of the flesh without the Holy Word, the Sword of the Spirit.
If you're concerned with your speech, you can pray Psalm 141:3, "Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips." For the Scripture says, "Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee....Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." (Proverbs 4:24 & Ephesians 4:29) Give me GOOD WORDS; give me YOUR WORDS, O LORD.

Job 23:12, "Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food." John 6:35, "I am the bread of life..." The Word is food. Jesus said His flesh is food and His blood is drink. EAT THE WORD! And, I'm not talking about transubstantiation, where the Priests say they turn the wafer into the literal body of Christ. That is NOT what He meant. He meant what Job meant, and what He said in the wilderness, that "man shall not live by bread alone, but by every WORD that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4 - quoting the second part of Deuteronomy 8:3, which I'm led to also include here: "And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live."
John 6:53-55, "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed." You receive Him by the Spirit, you feast upon His words, you strive to absorb the living Word of Almighty God! Amen.

This brings us to meditation. NOT Eastern Meditation, NO! Eastern Meditation empties the mind, and that only opens the door for devils! Here it's explained in Scripture: Matthew 12:43-45, "When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first."

You have to FILL your mind with the Word, so that become a part of your being. also, lets define "Meditate" as it's used in the Bible.
Meditate: Hebrew, Hagah, means growl, roar, low thunder, moan, utter, mutter, speak, muse.
Meditate: Greek, Meletau, Care for, attend to, practice, ponder, imagine.
Part of Biblical meditation involves a ruminating of the Word, like a ruminate animals such as the Cow chews its cud, over and over. The Hebrew implies a whispering to ones self, mumbling the Word. Not vain repetitions, but serious contemplation, seeking the deeper meaning and power of the Word. Part of that can also be the singing of the Word; after all, the Psalms which tell us often to meditate, are songs.
Psalm 1:2, "His delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."
Deuteronomy 6:6-9, "And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up, And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates."
On the forehead is symbolic of what you think. On the right hand is symbolic of what you do. Both thoughts and actions must reflect the indwelling Word of God. James 1:21, "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." That "engrafted" there means to be implanted by instruction.

Colossians 3:16, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
Then there is the rightly dividing, studying to be approved, etc. 2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
1 Timothy 4:13-15, "Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them"
Note here Paul exhorts Timothy to reading, exhortation and doctrine, all of which have to do with the Word of God. These things are what we must do to properly train with the weapon of the Sword of the Spirit, that the fear in the night cannot affect us. We must HOLD the sword, for, "they all hold swords, being experts at war." God wants you to become an expert at war, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God..." (Eph 6:12-13) I know there's a lot more armor, but this message is dealing expressly with the Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God.

People just don't realize how MIGHTY the Word is. God created the Universe by speaking His Word in Genesis 1. Then Hebrews 1:1-3 elaborates on that creation: "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high."

Indeed, the prophets can speak the Word inspired by Yahweh, the LORD, and as Jeremiah, be set "over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant." (Jer. 1:10) And later the LORD tells him, "The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the Lord .Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?" (Jeremiah 23:28-29)

Would that we be like Samuel, of whom it is said, "The LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground." (1 Samuel 3:19) Or, as Ezekiel, told to prophesy upon the dry bones, and then told to prophesy unto the wind (Ezekiel 37:1-14). He prophesied then, and all this came to pass in 1948, which is like 2530 years later, Israel returned and became a nation, an exceeding great army indeed (Ezekiel 37:10) Little Israel defeated much larger and stronger nations in 1948, 1967, and 1973. Just the fact they were able to become a nation 1,870 years after they had been beaten and scattered by the Roman armies is miraculous, considering 6 million Jews had just been slaughtered in Hitlers camps only a few years prior.That shows the power of the prophetic word spoken.
HalleluYAH! To the Word, and the sheer power of the Word, and it's pureness, its absolute truth, for forever is Yahweh's Word settled in heaven, and Oh yes, absolutely can it be settled in your heart. It's the only weapon against sin, and the only Salvation from the penalty of hell, for without the living Word abiding within you, hell is the only other option. Amen. When people come to Salvation, and have that saving faith, and grace to repent and believe, they MUST be taught the Word, and must be taught it is their one weapon against the enemies of the flesh and the devil. Praise God for His Holy Word, which is Jesus, the living Word. Receive this Word, receive it in your hearts. Amen.

We've sang Psalm 5:1-3 in church, and this is a good one to sing and pray privately, driving, walking down the road, anywhere, really: "Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation.
Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.
My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."
Psalm 63:5-6, "My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches."
Psalm 119:148, "Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word."
Isaiah 54:17 goes right along with this message, and can be sung as a song, "No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord."
I've also sang a version of Psalm 56:10-13, "In God will I praise his word: in the Lord will I praise his word.
In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
Thy vows are upon me: thy vows are upon me O God: I will render praises unto thee.
For thou hast delivered my soul from death: In God will I praise his word."

Reactions: Joseph G