There is no "here" here

Status
Not open for further replies.

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I admit that I've used this web site, and this forum, as a "time-waster" -- nothing better to do, so go to CF and the Baptist Forum. Unfortunately, most others treat this ether-spot the same way. There literally is no "here" here.

When we seek fellowship, we are looking for companionship, friendship, solace. After over a year, I've come to realize that there is no such thing as a cyber-community of Christians. All have their own agenda, and that agenda is almost universally selfish, arrogant, and loud. We are far better off seeking fellowship in the flesh, at our local church, and leaving the Web to itself, meeting together in a group that can look one another in the eye and realize the zinging one-line put-down is absolutely out of place in such a community.

Look at the examples in this forum and others. Here we see fellow Baptists dividing along doctrinal lines: The SBC lines up against the ABC, and the IFB touts legalism while the Anabaptists (Mennonites) preach love without repentence, or responsibility to God or fellow man.

I come on here hoping things have changed, only to be disappointed time and time again. Members bash members, and moderators wield their power against the wrong people, and the wrong posts, teaching "tolerance" which is actually enforced acceptance. Catholics and Pentecostals come here wearing the guise of Baptists for the purpose of bashing our various Baptist denominations -- and some of our Baptists do the same, unfortunately, to the Catholic and Pentecostal forums. All of them, to my way of thinking, deny through that dishonesty the very faith they claim.

There seems to be a tremendous need among our members (and for that matter, everywhere on CF) to be right, to the exclusion of modeling Christ. News flash folks: God doesn't care if you're right so much as He cares if you show L-O-V-E. There is sadly little of that particular act around here. Perhaps that is why there is no "here" here.

In short, this place resembles the world. It shouldn't. It ought to look better than that. Unfortunately, it doesn't even look as good as most churches, and as bad as many of them look, the fact that most look better than this forum, and this web site, is indicative of a very sad state of affairs for this place, a place that claims to be about and for Christians.

A community of believers does not chide and chastise the less learned, but loves and cares for one another.

A community of believers does not debate doctrine with ferocity, but embraces the hurting and the lost with tenacity.

A community of believers does not shoot its own wounded, but disciples and encourages everyone.

Those things are what makes a church worth going to, what makes it a place to enjoy, a place in which to worship and fellowship. Those things make a church "here" for us.

There is no "here" here. Therefore, I will no longer be "here" but "there" -- in my church, where people are real, with all their foibles, follies and faults. Where there is an actual, physical "here" to be.

Electrons don't make a community. People make a community. We are bits and bytes in this forum, not fleshly people who can touch, talk, and encourage each other. Electrons can't replace flesh. Nor should they. Get out from behind that screen, push your keyboard and mouse aside, put on your coat, grab your car keys, and go be with people! Go to church, or small groups, or prayer meeting, or just call a couple friends from church and go eat pizza.

Don't hang around "here." There is no "here" here.

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you realize that in the entire history of the world, there has only been recorded 270 years of peace.

There is always going to be confrontation when matters of religion are talked about.

What you say about the SBC verses the ABC and the problems of the IBC and the Anabaptists are nothing new, why act like they are?

What eventually split the Northern Baptists (ABC) and the Southern Baptists was the issue of slavery in as early as 1840.

"During the 1840s and 50s, several of America's largest denominations faced internal struggles over the issue of slavery. Even earlier, in 1838, the Presbyterians split over the question. The Baptists maintained a strained peace by carefully avoiding discussion of the topic. But in 1840, an American Baptist Anti-Slavery Convention brought the issue into the open. Southern delegates argued that, while slavery was a calamity and a great evil, it was no sin. The Baptist Board later denied a request by the Alabama Convention that slave owners be eligible to become missionaries. Finally, a Baptist Free Mission Society was formed and "refused 'tainted' Southern money."

The southern members withdrew and formed the Southern Baptist Convention, which eventually grew to become the largest Protestant denomination in the U.S. The Baptist denomination officially split in 1845, with the North Carolina State Convention "cordially approving" of the formation of the Southern Baptist Convention."

http://www.pbs.org/thisfarbyfaith/journey_2/p_5.html

And as far as: "Catholics and Pentecostals come here wearing the guise of Baptists for the purpose of bashing our various Baptist denominations -- and some of our Baptists do the same, unfortunately, to the Catholic and Pentecostal forums."

There is very little we can do about that except to hold our tradtions as we believe them. I usually don't worry about most Catholics who come here. My dealings with them for the most part, they are level headed people who are seeking answers to legitimate questions. And they are thankful for the answers they receive. It is sad that you base your opinions of others based on the actions of a few. D****0 was one example. We tried to deal with this member as gracefully as possible. Catholic Moderator "Tonks" is a good example of a Catholic who is respectfull of our beliefs and asks questions in a respectfull manner, always being careful not to offend. I for one will offer him any answer that is within my knowledge.

Believe it or not, this used to be a very good room. A place where we could come to to discuss our beliefs and enjoy the fellowship of our like brethren.

But here again, the actions of a certain few over the last little while has disrupted the peace and harmony of this once quiet and peacefull room.

So I ask that you not judge the whole by the few.

Not all of us are like that. I for one, have found some very good Christian "friends" on the forums. I know that if I need their advice, I can count on them answering. And I extend the same courtesy to them. And I thank the Lord that I found this place, for there some good Christians here.

A community of believers does not chide and chastise the less learned, but loves and cares for one another.

Granted, but if they are preaching or teaching wrong, and on a constant basis, then they need correcting same as a child.

You disagree?

A community of believers does not debate doctrine with ferocity, but embraces the hurting and the lost with tenacity.

That is not what Jesus taught. We see:

"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." -Mt. 10:35

Did our Lord not openly dispute with the scribes, Pharasees, and Sadduces on matters of doctrine and beliefs?

A community of believers does not shoot its own wounded, but disciples and encourages everyone.

I beg to differ again. Are we not taught:

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican." -Mt. 18:15-17

Even Jesus taught that the church must have some form of disipline.

I too am sorry that you feel that way about this place. But as I see it, if I help just one person come to a better understanding of the Lord, if I help just one person to better understand a passage of scripture, if I help just one person in their walk with the Lord, then all the time I spend on the forums is well worth it.

But since you don't see it that way, and to be true to yourself and your beliefs, I will say it is too bad you feel that way, and you have to go, but my the Lord bless you in your walk with him.

God Bless

DeaconDean
Ecumenical Team Moderator

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.