The word "mass"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJones

Jun 29, 2004
✟1,084.00
Faith
Christian
This is from another thread, in which no messages can any longer be posted because they all become blank.

Tetzel said:
I'm not sure of the Etymology there. I know that in German a Mass is a Messe. The same word is used for conventions and trade-fairs. While the dismissal is definitely part of the Mass, I doubt that trade-fairs would name themselves after a word that means to send away.
http://mb-soft.com/believe/txo/mass.htm

The central religious service of the Roman Catholic church, Mass is the celebration of the sacrament of the Eucharist, the rite instituted by Jesus Christ at the Last Supper. Some Lutherans and Anglicans also refer to the Eucharist as Mass. Based on the medieval Latin liturgy of Rome, the Mass takes its name from the Latin missa (dismissed), referring to the practice of dismissing the catechumens before the offertory. In the Eastern churches, the Mass is called the Holy Liturgy or the Offering. Catholics believe that consecration of the eucharistic elements of bread and wine transforms their substances into those of Jesus' body and blood; this doctrine is called transubstantiation. Catholics are required to attend Sunday Mass as a minimum of public worship.
http://www.yale.edu/adhoc/research_resources/liturgy/d_mass.html

The word Mass is taken from the Latin word for dismissed.
Now, my simple commentary on this is that I do not believe people very interested in religion would firstly name their service this, nor secondly would continue to use the term after others so named it.

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is from another thread, in which no messages can any longer be posted because they all become blank.

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txo/mass.htm

http://www.yale.edu/adhoc/research_resources/liturgy/d_mass.html

Now, my simple commentary on this is that I do not believe people very interested in religion would firstly name their service this, nor secondly would continue to use the term after others so named it.

The word Mass is derived by some Scholars from the Hebrew term Missach (Deut. xvi.), which means a free offering or sacrifice. Others derive it from the word Missa, which the Priest uses when he announces to the congregation that Divine Service is over. I prefer the Hebrew which fits in better with the sacrifice of mass.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I thought it was just a term for the Sunday crowd. :idea:

A mass of people rush about their homes to get everyone ready for church.

A mass of people rush around town Sunday morning to get to church on time.

A mass of people rush around after church to find a place to eat....hoping a certain restaurant won't be too busy but knowing it will.

A mass of people then rush home to take late afternoon naps from having a too full belly (from a mass of food) at the above mentioned brunch/lunch/dinner.

:sorry:

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A mass of people rush around after church to find a place to eat....hoping a certain restaurant won't be too busy but knowing it will.

A mass of people then rush home to take late afternoon naps from having a too full belly (from a mass of food) at the above mentioned brunch/lunch/dinner.

:sorry:

LOL! That was good!:clap:

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I second athansias. LOL

Peace

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.