Visit site
✟736,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The story of the woman caught in adultery in John 8:3-11 has been the subject of debate as to whether it should have been included in the scripture. Due to not appearing in all versions of the original text. I came across something quite interesting when reading the Early Church Fathers.

Papias [A.D. 70-155.] has the credit of association with Polycarp, in the friendship of St. John himself, and of “others who had seen the Lord.” Although only a small fragment of his writing exists one thing that points to the fact that the story of the adulterer may be scripture is his statement:

Matthew put together the oracles [of the Lord] in the Hebrew language, and each one interpreted them as best he could... And he also gives another story of a woman who was accused of many sins before the Lord, which is to be found in the Gospel according to the Hebrews

This may point to the story in John 8:3-11.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The story of the woman caught in adultery in John 8:3-11 has been the subject of debate as to whether it should have been included in the scripture. Due to not appearing in all versions of the original text. I came across something quite interesting when reading the Early Church Fathers.

Papias [A.D. 70-155.] has the credit of association with Polycarp, in the friendship of St. John himself, and of “others who had seen the Lord.” Although only a small fragment of his writing exists one thing that points to the fact that the story of the adulterer may be scripture is his statement:

Matthew put together the oracles [of the Lord] in the Hebrew language, and each one interpreted them as best he could... And he also gives another story of a woman who was accused of many sins before the Lord, which is to be found in the Gospel according to the Hebrews

This may point to the story in John 8:3-11.

The story appears at different times in different books. One manuscript of Luke contains it and as you pointed out, Matthew may have also passed the story along. It eventually ended up in John.

Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
First to understand this story many Believers need to check their Jewish Roots. The passages of John 7:53-8:11 is said by many Bible Scholars to be either be spurious or in the wrong location.

For many state John 7:53 “And every man went into his own house.” Make no sense here and this is why I state check out our Jewish Roots. In John 7:2 we read the Feast of Tabernacles was at hand. This is a 7 day Feast where devout Jews stay in Tabernacles, Booths or Sukkots for this period of time. Them in fulfillment of OT Prophecy we read John 7:37-39 were Jesus promised the Holy Spirit as Rivers of Living Water but before John quotes these words of Jesus he stated it was the last day of the feast. So now we see every one going to His own house fits perfectly in this passage as no one stayed in booth after this.

Now in John 8 comes the story of the adulterous woman. It is interesting because of a little known Bible prophecy I think we can know what Jesus wrote. Remember Jesus say He would give us Rivers of Life. So as the Jewish leaders try to condemn the woman showing in their heart they had rejected Jesus we see Him writing: “O LORD the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from Me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the Fountain of Living Waters.” Jeremiah 17:13
IMHO Christ wrote this verse the 1st time in John 8:6, because He knew they forsook Him.

But what Jesus wrote next in 8:8-9, terrify them, these men all knew who Jesus was, but Christ should have no clue who many of them were, so by His Divine wisdom He wrote from most guilty to less in this act of adultery (as surely they caught her because she was with them) every one of their names. For the Son of God could only know many of their names because He was God.

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The tie in to John 7 (as I recall) is that the events of John 8 took place on a Sabbath (weekly or ceremonial) on which the trial never should have taken place. And Jesus wrote in the dirt "Remember the Sabbath to keep it sanctified."

The test of the Pharisees was to see it Jesus upheld the Law to condemn the woman, which would have broken the Messianic office restraining him from judgment "a smouldering wick he will not snuff out..."

They thought they had him in a box. Which is impossible for God to be in a box.

So his rendering upheld the law without passing actual judgment.

Anyone of you without sin cast the first stone.

Anyone of you who never had to make a sin offering... disqualified all in company (except for Jesus himself).

Cast the first stone... on Sabbath they couldn't even pick up the stone to chunk at her without breaking the Law.

Jesus put them in a box and slammed the lid shut on it!

One by one they realized they were toast and went away making a public admission of their own guilt by doing so.

Then when only the woman and he remained, Jesus gave the woman grace. The same grace he'd been giving mankind all along and almost every opportunity.

Upvote 0

Love Fountain

Apr 17, 2022
PST
✟17,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It definitely belongs to scripture, the dispute is, where. My pastor reckons it should have been in John 7, but I don't remember his explanation.
Hello,

Here's a link below to subject outline structures that proves exactly where it belongs which is John 7:53-8:11.

Where John 7:53-8:11 belongs please see post #9 and post #12

Hope this helps!

Bless you,
Love Fountain

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong perspective guys.

The purpose as always is for Jesus Christ to show on earth what was never seen or considered before, that He did not come to condemn but to forgive, and these men who work the law, know how to condemn, but do not know how to forgive, because forgiveness is paid for by the life body and blood of Christ, not when it is convenient to men.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Upvote 0