Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Denver Post
Opinion
By Al Knight

Some topics are best left both out of sight and out of mind. The American Civil Liberties Union's war on the Boy Scouts is not one of them.

The ACLU, in a rational world, might well have been expected to champion the First Amendment rights of an organization like the Boy Scouts. After all, the First Amendment to the Constitution (so dear to the ACLU) protects both speech and the right to associate.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2000 upheld the right of the Boy Scouts to select members and leaders without regard to state laws that bar discrimination based on sexual orientation.
That ruling hasn't stopped the ACLU. It has simply shifted tactics away from the courts and focused its energies on local and often mean-spirited campaigns to deny the Scouts places to meet and the ability to raise funds . . .

http://www.denverpost.com/knight

Some history on the opposition to the Scouts from a google search:

2000 Democratic convention Boy Scouts booed

RealDealNeverstop

Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?
Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Cry me a river. The aclu doesnt fight against the boy scout's bigotry against atheists, gays and others. It does fight against any organization that is subsidized with tax dollahs that discriminate. If the boy scouts removed its policies that promote and practice bigotry then the aclu would have no cause to file lawsuits. Also, anyone else tired of the word 'War' getting bandied about in the blackhole of hyperbole?

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After all, the First Amendment to the Constitution (so dear to the ACLU) protects both speech and the right to associate.
The Boy Scouts have a first am. right to free rent from the government? Amazing! How have I missed that all these years?

Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is exactly the crux some of the bs apologists rarely ever address. Guess it's easier to cry persecution instead of addressing all fundamental facts. Hmmmm-reminds me of another fake 'War' being claimed by many in the same group

Upvote 0

Conspiracy Theory

I'm your huckleberry.
Nov 12, 2003
In a s00per sekret nukular bunkar!111!one!!!
✟14,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Cry me a river. The aclu doesnt fight against the boy scout's bigotry against atheists, gays and others. It does fight against any organization that is subsidized with tax dollahs that discriminate. If the boy scouts removed its policies that promote and practice bigotry then the aclu would have no cause to file lawsuits. Also, anyone else tired of the word 'War' getting bandied about in the blackhole of hyperbole?

Well, it's kind of hard to offer a God and Country award for someone who doesn't believe in God.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am. Can we declare a War on Wars now? It couldn't be any more nonsensical than a War on Terror.
Everything is war these days. Therefore I am declaring a war on your war on wars. See you on the battlefield.

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I dont care what self aggrandizing or hollow awards get passed out. I dont even care the bs are steeped in bigotry because that is their first amendment right. I do care when they ask the State to subsidize their bigotry. They have the right to be bigots but they need to do it on their dime. I would think more Republicans could appreciate this position.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Well, it's kind of hard to offer a God and Country award for someone who doesn't believe in God.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no God and Country award in the Boy Scouts of America. Instead, there are various awards presented to scouts and recognized by the BSA but the awards are all administered and presented by religious groups. Further, there is no requirement for a scout to earn one of these religious awards.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The ACLU has no problem with a little bit of bigotry, as a matter of fact they will fight to defend peoples right to discriminate in a private organization.

The problem here is that the boy scouts are a specially priviliged organization, they get treated differantly than say Marthas Quiling Club or the Big Bass Catcher Club. Personally I don't have a big problem with boy scouts discriminating against gays, they have every right. Government on the other hand... that's a differant story.

I believe government should basicly treat everyone the same regardless of sexual orientation, and that includes not giving special favors to organizations that don't uphold the same standards.

The Denver Post
Opinion
By Al Knight

Some topics are best left both out of sight and out of mind. The American Civil Liberties Union's war on the Boy Scouts is not one of them.

The ACLU, in a rational world, might well have been expected to champion the First Amendment rights of an organization like the Boy Scouts. After all, the First Amendment to the Constitution (so dear to the ACLU) protects both speech and the right to associate.

The U.S. Supreme Court in 2000 upheld the right of the Boy Scouts to select members and leaders without regard to state laws that bar discrimination based on sexual orientation.
That ruling hasn't stopped the ACLU. It has simply shifted tactics away from the courts and focused its energies on local and often mean-spirited campaigns to deny the Scouts places to meet and the ability to raise funds . . .

http://www.denverpost.com/knight

Some history on the opposition to the Scouts from a google search:

2000 Democratic convention Boy Scouts booed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hmmm, so the Boy Scouts cannot be bigoted and enjoy free rent at the same time? Well, that seems entirely fair to me. If the Boy Scouts wants to run an exclusivist organization that does not accommodate individuals of various faiths, homosexuals and others, then it can do so with it's own money and not look to a government of the people to fund that sort of thing. If it wants free rent, it can stop being prejudiced regarding membership and include all.

Denver Post said:
Those who care about traditional notions of diversity and tolerance might consider joining the battle by showing support for the American Civil Rights Union. The ACRU, which was founded in 1998 as a response to the ACLU, is a champion of the First Amendment and conservative causes, including support for the enforcement of existing immigration laws, opposition to the Fairness Doctrine and support for the principle of executive privilege.

Ha, that's funny. They are protesting diversity and tolerance, and asking people to show support for their actions by calling their discrimination diversity and tolerance. Tricky...

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmmm, so the Boy Scouts cannot be bigoted and enjoy free rent at the same time? Well, that seems entirely fair to me. If the Boy Scouts wants to run an exclusivist organization that does not accommodate individuals of various faiths, homosexuals and others, then it can do so with it's own money and not look to a government of the people to fund that sort of thing. If it wants free rent, it can stop being prejudiced regarding membership and include all.

They have every right to discriminate, just don't expect taxpayer help if that's what you want to do. There is still lot's of private support available for all the good stuff boy scouts do.

Ha, that's funny. They are protesting diversity and tolerance, and asking people to show support for their actions by calling their discrimination diversity and tolerance. Tricky...

It seems to an effective strategy despite the fact that many see right through it.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
<staff edit>

Funny how the "no special privledges" line is for gay rights but forgotten when it comes to the Scouts
The BSA is a great organization that helps a lot of young men grow into well-rounded men, on the local level that is. On the regional and national level the BSA is one of the most morally corrupt and intellectually bankrupt organizations out there. They seem to actively work to undermine everything the BSA stands for.

Reactions: platzapS
Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The goverment can offer subsidies to anyone group.

This is a Christian youth group, that has a long time
established guidelines for what is acceptable for membership in the Scouts.

Christian(or belief/worship in/of Jesus), living a moral lifestyle, with goals to be a good citizen and help others. They frown on sex outside of marriage, illegal drug use, addiction, teach kids to learn how to take on responsiblity and not get into gangs.
Yea, lets cut giving to them and spend more on projects
that may cost more but don't require a moral lifestyle.

I have no problem with getting goverment out of giving money away. But it might cost more by doing so.

Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The government cannot fund any organization that discriminates-it's against Federal law. The BS isnt a Christian organization by its own decree, even though it receives over half of its funding from Christian churches. The poor witness here is deception for the purpose of getting money. Also, it could be argued the BS causes more problems than it solves by promoting bigotry.

Upvote 0