adey1986

Sep 20, 2006
Shrewsbury & Wrexham
✟15,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I am having trouble discerning the voice of God from my own mind. Whenever I have asked God a question and some of these are quite life-changing questions I occasionally get a voice in my head telling me the answer BUT I am never sure whether this voice is the voice of God or the tongue in my own head. If anyone could give me some tips or advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

Adrian

ChristianTherapist

SON FOLLOWER
Jan 27, 2006
✟131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's been my experience that God very seldom speaks to people,instead choosing other ways to communicate His will.He is more likely to send people to us to direct us in His way or sometimes direct us to a portion of the Bible that answers the question we have.However one thing you can count on,when God communicates with you personally,you will be certain of it because He makes a strong emotional impact on people when He does so that we will know that we've heard from the High Priest Himself rather than the functioning of our own mind.So the way it works is that if you do not feel emotionally overwhelmed,then you should assume that you have not received a personal communication from God.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I am having trouble discerning the voice of God from my own mind. Whenever I have asked God a question and some of these are quite life-changing questions I occasionally get a voice in my head telling me the answer BUT I am never sure whether this voice is the voice of God or the tongue in my own head. If anyone could give me some tips or advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

Adrian

MY BROTHER,

Yeah, that is a hard call to make a lot of the time! The tip given in the previous Post is very helpful.

Another thing which has helped me is learning that the voice of God always brings peace and assurance, whereas the voice of my ego or of the Evil One brings disquiet and confusion.

The same idea holds true when seeking specific directions or answers--the pronouncements of God leave no questions and no doubts in their wake, whereas the whisperings of the ego or Satan leave a sense of incompleteness, uneasiness, and uncertainty.

Fasting, i have found, seems to make the promptings of the Holy Spirit come through clearer and louder.

It also helps me to keep firmly in mind that God is not speaking from someplace "up there", but is speaking in the depths of my heart, so focusing within rather than without seems to make the process easier, remembering that since our Salvation, Satan is without and God within, as opposed to the opposite prior to our Salvation. Knowing from which direction the voice comes helps us to hear it more easily.

THE PROCESS GETS EASIER WITH PRACTICE--they tell me. MAY YOU BE BLESSED!

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

TheGuide

Feb 5, 2007
Houston, TX
Visit site
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Adrian
You are absolutely correct to be cautious. God speaks to us in our hearts, not our heads. His voice comes from the core of you, but to hear Him you have to, fiirst, have His word on your heart so that you will know when He is speaking to you. Read the Gospel of John whenever you have the opportunity.

Just like we nurture a new friendship, we have to give the same consideration to our relationship with Jesus. We have to get to know him, and the way we get to know him is through the word of God. I find reading John from time to time, as well as James, I&II Peter and I&II John reinforces God's wisdom about Jesus and his purpose for our lives. Of course, you want to read other areas of the Bible, but those that I mentioned help build a relationship with Jesus.

God bless you,

The Guide

Upvote 0

allhart

Messianic believer
Feb 24, 2007
Turlock, CA
✟16,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Adrian
I'm seeking GODS voice also in my life and its ruff on my mind. For my mind hardly ever slows down long enough to listen,but I try to spend more quiet time with him especially in the morning before anyone is up. Its just me and him and i read and try to focus on the lord not on me so much. I have no answer for you maybe more questions than answers for myself. hay try reading the Papas Prayer by Larry Crabb good info.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think God can speak to us with the audible voice, but I also think He speaks to us with "life" all the time, saying much more that mere words can say to us. As we desire and gain wisdom through life and by studying His word, we learn to know better what His will is and can enter into that silent rest that comes between two who know each other in bonds of love.

Upvote 0

HumbleUnderdog

Mar 28, 2006
✟9,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's what I did: the very first time I prayed, I asked God to reveal himself to me, in some way that was impossible to miss, in some way that was very clear to me that it was truly Him. He did it. Since then I've learned that in order to "hear" God, that I need to shut my mind down....completely, and let God be my mind. That way He can talk to you all the time. The moment I turn my mind back on is the moment when God starts to fade out into the background. The moment I turn my mind back off is when God becomes loud and clear.

I also learned that when I ask God a question to sit back and wait for an answer. A lot of ppl, when they ask God a question, they still try to find their own answer their own way. That's just like asking a teacher in class how to do a math question, then as the teacher shows you on the blackboard you look down at your workbook and try to figure it out yourself while you ignore the teacher. Sit back and wait for God to answer, don't try to answer your own question yourself before God responds.

Reactions: junezephyr
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's been my experience that God very seldom speaks to people,instead choosing other ways to communicate His will.

That's what I knew to be a fact. Right up till the moment God started talking to me.

Which is not to say that God does not use other methods as well... but God does indeed talk to people directly.

I have found that God often talks tous in the same way. Not becasue He is limited, but because He knows our hard wiring and know what will get through to us. If you can think back to a decision you made in the past and know that it was the right decision, think back to how you were led to that decision... and is that same thinjg happening now?

When my husband prays about something, strangers will walk up to us on the street and adress the topic he is praying about. A friend of mine always finds that God takes away all his options but one. A woman I know has dreams that point her in the right directions. I knew a young woman facing a decision and God used the continual apperance of a color to guide her - I know :confused: but it was so very clear. Sometimes a Bible verse will apppear frequently, friends will offer guidance or a seromn will seem to be preached right to you.

Plus you can also pray ad ask for explicit guidance, or use a "fleece" - there's a Biblical precendence.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.