The Truth about Islam: Short Intro

Arcs

May 17, 2004
✟113.00
Faith
Muslim
Islam means "submission to the Will of God." In its ethical sense Islam signifies "striving after the ideal." A Muslim is one who submits to the Will of God. "Islam" and "Muslim" derive from the same word as the Arabic for "peace." The traditional Muslim greeting is ASSALAMU ALAIKUM which means "Peace be unto you."

Islam offers hope for salvation to the righteous and God-fearing of all religions. Muslims believe in the Divine Revelations of many prophets including Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad; but do not believe that God (Allah) assumed human form. The Quran, Muslims believe, is God's Word and Final Revelation to The Prophet Muhammad. Revealed over a period of twenty-three years, The Quran was compiled and distributed to distant lands within twenty-five years of The Prophet's death in 632 A.D. This is the only Quran recognized by Muslims.

Every year, during the Haj, the world witnesses the wonderful spectacle of this international Exhibition of Islam in leveling all distinctions of race, color and rank. Not only the Europeans, the African, the Arabian, the Persian, the Indians, the Chinese all meet together in Medina as members of one divine family, but they are clad in one dress every person in two simple pieces of white seamless cloth, one piece round the loin the other piece over the shoulders, bare head without pomp or ceremony, repeating "Here am I O God; at thy command; thou art one and alone; Here am I." Thus there remains nothing to differentiate the high from the low and every pilgrim carries home the impression of the international significance of Islam.

Comprising laws, moral precepts, and narratives, The Quran's timeless text remains an inspiration and guide for more than one fifth of humanity. Together with The Quran, the epitome of Classical Arabic, Muslims lives are guided by the examples and sayings of The Prophet. Thousands of sayings have been attributed to The Prophet. Some are accepted as authentic; some traced to
The Prophet's companions; some are the subject of debate. Some examples:
"The first thing created by God was the Intellect."
"The most excellent Jihad is that for the conquest of self."​
"The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."​
"One learned man is harder on the devil than a thousand ignorant worshippers."​
"Riches are not from an abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind."​
"Reflect upon God's creation but not upon His nature or else you will perish."​
"He who wishes to enter Paradise at the best door must please his mother and father."​
"No man is a true believer unless he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself."​
"When the bier of anyone passes by you, whether Jew, Christian, or Muslim, rise to your feet."​
"The thing which is lawful, but disliked by God, is divorce."​
"Heaven lies at the feet of mothers."​
"Women are the twin-halves of men."​
"Actions will be judged according to intentions."​
"That which is lawful is clear, and that which is unlawful likewise, but there are certain doubtful things between the two from which it is well to abstain."​
"The proof of a Muslim's sincerity is that he pays no attention to that which is not his business."​
"That person is nearest to God, who pardons ... him who would have injured him."​
"... yield obedience to my successor, although he may be an Abyssinian slave."​
"Assist any person oppressed, whether Muslim or non-Muslim."​
"The creation is as God's family ... the most beloved unto God is the person who does good to God's family."​
"Modesty and chastity are parts of the Faith."​
Islamic Law is based upon The Quran, examples and sayings of The Prophet, consensus among the learned, analogical deduction, and individual reasoning. Islamic society comes closer than any other society to the ideal democracy. All persons are equal before God; goodness is the only criterion of worth. There is no priesthood in Islam; even a child, with greater knowledge of The Quran than his elders, may lead them in prayer. To become a Muslim one need only profess, "There is no god but God! Muhammad is the Messenger of God."​

Link: www+religioustolerance+org/isl_truth+htm

sijo

Apr 28, 2004
✟389.00
Faith
Catholic
Arcs,

You preached your faith to the best. Thanks. I appreciate you but strongly rejecting calling Jesus as a Prophet of Allah. You didn't go to third-rate arguments of Muslims rejecting crucifixion and resurrection of Lord Jesus Christ. So let me to keep silent about that.

I applaud your honesty and appreciate your courage to profess and inform others what you believe as true. So, all the best. Go ahead.

But even in this point of reconciliation of faiths, I didn't understand the criteria of Allah (argued as "God" who created the universe and mankind) in selecting Mohamed as "prophet".

Please have a look to the English translation of: "The Life of Muhammad" by A. Guillaume (Oxford Univ. Press) or "23 Years: A Study of the Prophetic Career of Mohammad" (by Ali Dashti; Mazda) and Hadiths. You will even read of instances in which Muhammad had innocent people put to death (such as Abu Afak, a 120-year-old man and Asma bint Marwan the mother of five children, a slave woman mother of two children, and the one-eye shepherd, all murdered while they slept). Their only crime was that they somehow offended "the prophet".

Furthermore, I am greatly aware of the warning of Lord Jesus:

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thorn bushes or figs from thistles? Even so every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. ... False prophets will arise and show great signs and wonders, so as to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you before hand. ... Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch."(Matthew 7:15-17; 24:23,24; 15:14).

Is there anything wrong to read together the murder of innocent people as mentioned hereinabove by "a prophet" and the caution of Lord Jesus "You will know them by their fruits...... good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit..... false prophets ...... show GREAT SIGNS AND WONDERS to deceive ....... even the elect ..... they are blind leaders of blind.... both will fall into a ditch........"

This is in no way to disgrace you. But a message of caution to my soul.

sijo.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟21,635.00
Faith
Pagan
sijo said:
You will even read of instances in which Muhammad had innocent people put to death (such as Abu Afak, a 120-year-old man and Asma bint Marwan the mother of five children, a slave woman mother of two children, and the one-eye shepherd, all murdered while they slept). Their only crime was that they somehow offended "the prophet".
Sijo:

How is this different than when Elisha called up two bears to slaughter forty children? Their only crime was that they somehow offended "the prophet".

Of course Muhammed was merciful enough to kill those people in their sleep. The children who teased Elish were awake and died most horribly in terror and agony.

Be careful what examples you use, they might just come back to bite you on the "bear" behind.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Havoc said:
How is this different than when Elisha called up two bears to slaughter forty children? Their only crime was that they somehow offended "the prophet".

I think 2 Kings 2:23-24 is a bit different in context but I will let "sijo" respond to that, since he brought up the main topic, he should be able to respond ... I am not knowledgeable about Muhammad's killings he brought up above either... so... carry on...

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For those who wish to read about the life of the Prophet, please try these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t.../002-9682768-2044036?v=glance&s=books&n=12532 by Karen Armstrong, a "freelance monotheist," former Roman Catholic Nun, and and Prof at a Jewish College in London (if I remember correctly).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t.../002-9682768-2044036?v=glance&s=books&n=12532 This one is my favorite. When I read it, I felt I knew the Prophet (saws) as a person, as my friend. It does a wonderful job explaining everything in his life to a modern audience, and it shows he never killed an innocent person.

Upvote 0

radorth

Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
LA area
Visit site
✟16,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Every year, during the Haj, the world witnesses the wonderful spectacle of this international Exhibition of Islam in leveling all distinctions of race, color and rank. Not only the Europeans, the African, the Arabian, the Persian, the Indians, the Chinese all meet together in Medina as members of one divine family, but they are clad in one dress every person in two simple pieces of white seamless cloth, one piece round the loin the other piece over the shoulders, bare head without pomp or ceremony, repeating "Here am I O God; at thy command; thou art one and alone; Here am I." Thus there remains nothing to differentiate the high from the low and every pilgrim carries home the impression of the international significance of Islam.
And soon after we witness this "wonderful spectacle" of brotherly affection, these pilgrims are back in Jerusalem blowing up schoolchildren, hiding people like Obama Sin Laden, threatening people with death on the internet, dancing in the streets as burnt bodies are dragged along, and sawing off heads with a dull knife while the person screams. Surely the majority of these zealots pilgrimaged to Mecca or the Exhibition.

But then Muhammed gave them a perfect excuse when he had one of his enemies beheaded, and encouraged his followers to "kill all the Pagans on the Arab Penninsula" as he died.

"This people honors me with their lips but their heart is far from me" indeed.

Rad

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
radorth said:
And soon after we witness this "wonderful spectacle" of brotherly affection, these pilgrims are back in Jerusalem blowing up schoolchildren, hiding people like Obama Sin Laden, threatening people with death on the internet, dancing in the streets as burnt bodies are dragged down it and sawing off heads with a dull knife while the person screams.

But then Muhammed gave them a perfect excuse when he had one of his enemies beheaded, and encouraged his followers to "kill all the Pagans on the Arab Penninsula" as he died.

"This people honors me with their lips but their heart is far from me" indeed.

Rad

There are 1.2 billion muslims in the world. A very small minority are suicide bombers or chop off the head of people.

Secondly, the Prophet Muhammad never murdered an innocent person. The punishment of beheading was only carried out after a trial.

Third, that is a weak tradition of killing all the pagans. In fact, I believe it is downright false, but that book is packed away somewhere so I cannot check. The only person with the Prophet when he died was his wife and she recorded his last words as a prayer to God.

Upvote 0

radorth

Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
LA area
Visit site
✟16,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
rahma said:
There are 1.2 billion muslims in the world. A very small minority are suicide bombers or chop off the head of people.

And the number of informed Christian vigilantes is zero because they do not have Muhammed's example to follow.

Secondly, the Prophet Muhammad never murdered an innocent person. The punishment of beheading was only carried out after a trial.

That's nonsense. He had a female poet (who he thought had mocked him) beheaded, hopefully with a sharp knife.

Third, that is a weak tradition of killing all the pagans. In fact, I believe it is downright false, but that book is packed away somewhere so I cannot check. The only person with the Prophet when he died was his wife and she recorded his last words as a prayer to God
Well that's what she recorded and many thousands of Muslims believe it and are still following his advice.

Rad

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
radorth said:
And the number of informed Christian vigilantes is zero because they do not have Muhammed's example to follow.

Guess we're discounting the christian wars throughout history, and the FARC in Columbia and countless christian militias in Africa and the IRA. Yup, if you throw out all the militant christians, I guess you're left with none.

That's nonsense. He had a female poet (who he thought had mocked him) beheaded, hopefully with a sharp knife.

There is a lot more to the story then that. I will leave it up to you to find out the rest of the details

Well that's what she recorded and many thousands of Muslims believe it and are still following his advice.

Rad

The last hours of the Prophet Muhammad (saws):

Within hours, the Prophet lost his consciousness. He opened his eyes again an hour later saying to A’ishah (ra): “No Prophet is taken by death until he has been shown his place in Paradise and then offered the choice to live or to die.” Among the last words he said were:

“With the supreme communion in Paradise, with those upon whom God has showered his favor, the prophets and the saints and the martyrs and the righteous, most excellent for communion are they.”
The Prophet’s last words were “O Allah, with the supreme communion.” He died in the evening of the twelfth of Rabi’ al-Awwal (June 8, 632 A.D.) at the age of sixty-three.

And his last words in public:

“I warn you O Muslims to be good to the Ansar (the Helpers, i.e., those residents of Medina who helped the Emigrants from Mecca). They have performed their duty well. Muslims will increase in number but Ansar will dwindle and be as salt in a meal.
“Woe to the nations before you who worshiped the tombs of their prophets. I forbid you to do that. O people, the most unselfish of men to me in his companionship is Abu Bakr, and if I were to take from mankind an inseparable friend he would be Abu Bakr - but the brotherhood of faith is ours until God unite us in His presence. O my dear daughter Fatimah and O my dear aunt Safiyah, spend your efforts in the way of the hereafter for I will not be able to help you against the Will of Allah.

“I go before you and I am your witness. Your meeting with me is at the pool (a lake fed by the celestial river Kawthar where believers will quench their thirst on their entry into paradise.). I fear not for you that you will set up gods beside Allah (The One God); but I fear for you that you will rival one another in worldly gains.”

Upvote 0
A

Adam Kadamon

radorth said:

What do you call the KKK or the people who bombed the abortion clinics or people who attacked and even killed gays in the name of God ? There are extremeists on all sides and they all find (what to them are) valid reasons in their religious texts to do terrible things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
While I think a lot of issues today are very complex we need i think to separate in our minds what is going on today from historical realities about early Islam, unfortunately there is too much of a cloud of emotion about what fanatics have been up to and not enough objectivity to appraise Islam correctly.

As a Baha'i I appreciate what I know about early Islam and the Mission of Prophet Muhammad and am not taken in by what fanatics are doing.

- Art

Upvote 0

thaiv

ChristianforChrist
Jan 23, 2004
Dallas
✟15,650.00
Faith
Christian
Sopharos said:
"And a billion Catholics can't be wrong..."

Please, cease your ad populum.

I was not talking about comparing the numbers to see what religion has the most people to thereby determine which one is true. I was actually continuing the discussion about the KKK and Islamic violence. Compare the numbers between militant Islam and extreme Christian violence. There is a difference.

Upvote 0

thaiv

ChristianforChrist
Jan 23, 2004
Dallas
✟15,650.00
Faith
Christian
rahma said:
Third, that is a weak tradition of killing all the pagans. In fact, I believe it is downright false, but that book is packed away somewhere so I cannot check. The only person with the Prophet when he died was his wife and she recorded his last words as a prayer to God.

Which wife? He had more than four, which contradicts Sharia law. Ironic, eh?

Upvote 0

Alexei

Nov 18, 2003
Great Lebanon
✟481.00
Faith
Muslim
these pilgrims are back in Jerusalem blowing up schoolchildren

For self defense. Just as the Zionists are killing the innocent Palestinian children, this is called a self defense reaction.
And if you found Martyrdom wrong, then you should blame the Mighty Samson in the Bible.
I recommend this site to enlarge your knowledge and see who are these Zionists and what the real Jews said:
http://www.nkusa.org/

hiding people like Obama Sin Laden, threatening people with death on the internet,
Oops! Bin Laden is an American tool, and he's one the faithful agent of the CIA.:D

dancing in the streets as burnt bodies are dragged down it

This is wrong, but it's a reaction for what the Americans have done in Iraq: Killing, raping, stealing... The list is too long.
However the Americans revenged by killing 800 innocent persons in Fallujah.
Without an American act, no reaction would have occured

and sawing off heads with a dull knife while the person screams.

A reaction to what the Americans have done to Iraqi prisonners.
Without an American act, no reaction would have occured.

But then Muhammed gave them a perfect excuse when he had one of his enemies beheaded, and encouraged his followers to "kill all the Pagans on the Arab Penninsula" as he died
Quoting RUBBISH

Which wife? He had more than four, which contradicts Sharia law. Ironic, eh?
Refer to the Noble Qur'an 33:51

Upvote 0