The Ten Commandments - Which are correct - Why differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protestante

Nov 7, 2005
✟15,554.00
Faith
Protestant
OK a friend told me a while ago that the Catholics changed the 10 commandments. This outraged me. I researched it and found that protestants, catholics and the jews have three slightly different sets of the 10 Commandments. They are as follows (according to http://www.culturemonster.com/articles/article-14555-205.html, although other sites have it aswell)

Protestant - Ten Commandments

1 -- Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2 -- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

3 -- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4 -- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

5 -- Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

6 -- Thou shalt not kill.

7 -- Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8 -- Thou shalt not steal.

9 -- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

10 -- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.

Catholic - Ten Commandments

1 -- I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

2 -- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

3 -- Remember thou keep the Sabbath Day.

4 -- Honor thy Father and thy Mother.

5 -- Thou shalt not kill.

6 -- Thou shalt not commit adultery.

7 -- Thou shalt not steal.

8 -- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

9 -- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife.

10 -- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods.

Hebrew - Ten Commandments

1 -- I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

2 -- Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; Thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; And showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments.

3 -- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.

4 -- Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work. But the seventh day is the sabbath in honour of the Lord thy God; on it thou shalt not do any work, neither thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

5 -- Honour thy father and thy mother; in order that thy days may be prolonged upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

6 -- Thou shalt not kill.

7 -- Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8 -- Thou shalt not steal.

9 -- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

10 -- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

So WHY did BOTH Catholic and Protestant churches change the Commandments and WHICH should would use?

Thanks for your time

Protestante

Nov 7, 2005
✟15,554.00
Faith
Protestant
But often people don't look at more than the list of ten, accepting them as the ten commandments. Besides in the bible, I have never seen a list of the ten commandments written out in full. So I think, because of the common oversight of the full ten commandments, the "Summary's" and the way they are written are important.

Upvote 0

artjack

Jul 19, 2005
✟1,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
they are all good, obay them all now you know them or just follow your own. I think it is a good question thought, why change something for fashion of the day! I found in my own study of matthew that jesus was not as perfect as I thought because we say he was perfect. he would not be seen as perfect today I dont think, you are welcome to come and see what I found, theoligy,is jesus perfect today, look what i found

Upvote 0

Soon Rev 22:11-12

Feb 26, 2005
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
Most "Protestants" say the 10 Commandments were nailed to the Cross (even though in the USA they want them posted in government schools). Others say they are still for today, but don't bother to obey the 4th for one reason or another.

Catholics, in catechisms, do away with the 2nd, change the day of the 4th, and split the 10th into two.

Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey that's funny,
I just asked the Catholics about this because a child's book I had gave the list as you said the Catholics do. I asked if their list is the same as mine or not. Guess I should have read here first.
(because of my thread, I'm going to refrain from commenting directly on your question.)

Upvote 0

FriarTuck

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2005
✟10,854.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How many christians do you know that could name all ten commandments let alone get the right order. I think it's good to know the law to recognize our sins but you won't find salvation there. Is it worth the argument unless you're just trying to bash the Catholics. They don't deserve it, so how about a ceasefire.

Peace and love to all in Christ Jesus.

Reactions: Yusuf Evans
Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
FriarTuck said:
How many christians do you know that could name all ten commandments let alone get the right order. I think it's good to know the law to recognize our sins but you won't find salvation there. Is it worth the argument unless you're just trying to bash the Catholics. They don't deserve it, so how about a ceasefire.

Sir, thank you sir. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FriarTuck said:

You said something very profound when you stated in so many words that most Christians could not even quote from memory all of Ten Commandments!
What that says is that we have in our modern culture, including the Christian culture, an almost Biblically illiterate church! No wonder the masses of Christians don't even care what day is the Sabbath!

Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Site Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FriarTuck said:
But you missed my second point, there's no salvation in the law. The only thing the law can do for you if that's what you choose to cling to is damn you.

Exactly, it requires Faith

James 2:18 says

"Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works."

And

James 2:26
"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

Upvote 0

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FriarTuck said:
But you missed my second point, there's no salvation in the law. The only thing the law can do for you if that's what you choose to cling to is damn you.

I heard your point, even though I don't agree with it. Keeping the Ten Commandments doesn't earn you the right to go to heaven, but not keeping them will exclude you from being there. So what is the solution? A relationship with Jesus, who gives you the power to obey them, just like He did while He was on earth for 33 years.

But, as you pointed out, most Christians nowadays don't know their Bible well enough to even know what they are suppose to do, and they just do what everyon else does, which is not much these days.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.